Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

X5 M50d - should I?

Options
  • 25-08-2021 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

In the market for an X5. Had few test drives. Really enjoyed the m50d, the sound and power. Enjoyed 45e for pure electric around town in traffic (both as quick and nice to drive). But also noticed that there is a lot of m50d's in the dealerships mainly 2019/20 models. So presumably people ditching these because they're diesels... or is there something else going on with these m50d's? Couldn't find 40/50i and it seems bringing one from UK makes little sense.

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Presume the sort of person who can afford one of them changes their car regularly / company car. There's a few around where I live, lovely sound from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

If you can well afford it over an x5 20d or whatever standard spec is then why not, go for it. I'm not mad about SUVs I'd have a 5 series over an x5 any day but they're very popular so each to their own. What's the premium over a lower engined x5 of same year and roughly same spec? And do you think that premium is worth it Although? Although I know you'll struggle to find same specs in lower range....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭digiman

I can’t think of any reason why I’d go for the M50d over a 45e. You would get a brand new 45e for cheaper than a 1 or 2 year old m50d. And you could spec it as you wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,112 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

With Covid and more people working from home now being the norm I wouldn't be surprised if a fair few of those M50ds were traded in for a newer 45e. I'd say the majority of use most of these big SUVs get used for is ferrying kids around here, there and everywhere rather than up and down the country. Unless your doing hefty mileage I'd say the 45e is probably all you would need. Also if the OP is concerned about resale value I'd say a 45e might be a safer bet in that respect especially if the Greens start crucifying diesel drivers in the next few budgets.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭omri

I currently have 520d touring from 2018. Great car and can’t really fault it in any way, but would like something else. First few test drives in X5 hybrid and X7 m50d were somewhat less impressive than I expected. Mainly because even after the latest facelift/interior update I still felt I’m getting into the very same interior, that I know well and lacked the novelty factor to justify the price. Even going back into my current car I didn’t feel like I’m getting into inferior product.

As for the actual test drive I felt I was thrown around way more in both x5/x7 due to the fact of sitting much higher from the ground,way more power under the hood and my heavy foot. All in all it was nothing special for the hype I felt before getting into them.

So I took a week off, let the emotions and the excitement to cool down. In the meantime I test drove Cayenne Hybrid and one thing that I noticed that the way it handled was more like my 5 series than the x5 or suv in general. It felt interesting with all new interior but at this price it was just very cheap inside, ugly plastics on the door panels and just sort of meh inside.

I took a 7 series for a spin 730d and super luxurious liked it a lot but just not practical comapred to touring or x5 and as much as I always wanted to move to 7 series before x5 I think that boat sailed already.

So week later I went again to try x5 this time both m50d and 45e. And I have to say it grew on me now. Yes it’s very same inside but now that I’m familiar with the power the engine delivers I could focus on the actual ride and comfort and how it feels to drive an suv. Feels great to be honest. Ofcourse not the same in corners as 5 series but still very agile for it’s size.

The m50d sounds great and I enjoyed not hearing the diesel in slow traffic, while the x45e I couldn’t really hear much of the engine apart from hard acceleration but it lacked the nice grunt of the m50d. As for electric side of it really nice thing for school runs and around town (which I’d say is the way to go anyway) but it did feel heavy weighing same as the x7 m50d and almost felt like it to drive, not as boaty as x7 but as heavy, hard to describe it really.

All in all I don’t think the m50d is worth the 10-20k more over the 45e despite the fact that every sales guy was assuring me they sell like hot buns in the morning. But there is good few of them with not a big milage either 10, 20, 30k km (2019-2020). And it makes me think that people might be ditching these for whatever reason and they don’t really sell that well at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭carsfan2

What type of driving do you do? Urban, mainly or long distance? Can you install a home charger? These will determine the suitability off plug in hybrid versus conventional fuel.

Are you set on changing to a SUV type car?

Urban with occasional trips further away for weekends etc. No access to home charger yet (just the on street near where i live - outside my carpark) but that might change in next few months. Yeah I think SUV is the way to go for me. 7 series is tempting if only they made them in touring version I'd be sold...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭carsfan2

X5 45e would be better than m50d hands down.

But I’d look at Porsche Panamera turismo hybrid

there are a couple of 2019 for sale in Dublin, beshoffs and stillorgan. Beautiful specs and cheaper to buy than x5. Would be much more of a thrill to drive and reasonably practical. Not a high driving position but way ahead of a BMW in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,358 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Go for the quad turbo facelift X5 M50d.

Folks comparing a 45e to an m50d are having a laugh.

After couple more test drives I decided to go with the x7, but given the current state of the market and lack of selection I’m getting bit frustrated with what’s available and at what prices the dealers are offering it to me.

So I’m looking at getting something from UK, ordering new one at dealership or even getting one from continental europe (I understand no vrt would be required?) and perhaps doing a steering wheel swap etc. (if possible - in dealer in germany or wherever I’ll end up getting it).

Any thoughts, I sure could wait till next year for the market to improve but then again why wait.

• Advertisement

Range and ease of adding range for a start, which is a strange one not to think of.

I test drove the 45e couple of days ago, the battery was not charged, so it was running engine only and I wasn’t impressed, the engine didn’t sound like much and it was rather medicore ride, I enjoyed the m50d or even x7 40d much more as overall experience.

At this moment I don’t have an option of charging the car outside home so for that reason alone it’s a no go.

Why do you think you won't have to pay VRT? You will have to pay VRT on any car imported into Ireland unless you qualify for an exemption. Importing a brand new car from the EU will also mean you have to pay VAT here as well as VRT. From the UK you will have to pay 10% import duty now on top of all that because they are no longer a member of the EU. Also what do you mean by swapping the steering wheel? Do you mean converting left hand drive to right hand drive? Not worth the trouble or expense in my view and cannot see how you would save any money on going down the route of importing a brand new car from the EU or everyone would do it. I think you need to research what's involved a bit more.

Generally it's a bad time to be buying a car in Ireland right now. Demand for both new and used cars is exceeding supply so it's a seller's market out there and prices reflect it. Between supply of used cars dropping off from the UK due to Brexit and semi conductor shortages on new cars, dealers know that if you don't like the price then someone else will pay it.

I had my eye on couple of x5 m50d’s from 2020 one been listed for 9 months now with no sale they dropped €1k off the price, the other one been for sale 4 months now and costs as much as 2021 x7. I don’t think they want to sell them to be honest and I’m not keen on paying their price for car they can’t sell.

Some dealers are quite content to sit on certain stock for ages rather than reduce the price for a quick sale. Can also depend on how much the car in question owes them. If they are ex BMW Ireland cars then they might have to get a certain price for them.

Advertisement