Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charlie Watts RIP

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,799 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Reminds me of Phil Rudd from AC/DC, he left the band, one of his replacements, Chris Slade was far superior technically, but but his drumming seemed more cold and clinical, the Stones could get a virtuoso or even a fella who replicate his style well and they won't be the same anymore, Watts had such a distinctive style.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

He only replaced Ringo the once on the very first track they recorded and before he heard him play, because their previous drummer had been below par so he wasn't taking any chances, even though the rest of them were saying this guy's the best drummer in Liverpool.

The thing about both of them and guys like Keith Moon and John Bonham was they were the drummer for their respective bands and brought their own feel and sound to those bands that nobody else could have to nearly the same extent and they wouldn't have worked if you'd swapped them around between the bands either. Plus and something that is often missed they all locked into their bass player and vice versa to make very bloody good rhythm sections. You see that with all great bands. That includes our own U2. Whether they appeal personally or not the Edge is one of the single most distinctive lead guitar players ever. The second he starts playing it could be pretty much nobody else. Bono has one helluva set of lungs on him and when he doesn't go OTT with the messiah stuff is one of the best front men too. But it's Larry and Adam all too often overlooked that are the heart of that band and an incredbly good rhythm section. You could wheel in two technically better players(though Larry is a bloody good drummer) or one and it wouldn't gel to nearly the same degree.

The other thing I liked about Charlie was he was an old stylee, in the background drummer. No flashiness, the solid rock they all spun around and he stayed that way from the start to the end. Keith Moon was a law unto himself and could go OTT at times. In live gigs Ringo was usually on a raised platform at the back and sometimes even at the front(and he got the most fan mail). Old Charlie would have recoiled at that suggestion and would probably have thumped whoever suggested it. 😁

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Regarding U2, BB King once said there are three members in U2’s rhythm section: the Edge, the Edge and the Edge.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

Was sad to read this yesterday. Like some other posters, I had seen them in Croke Park in 2018. I didn't have much expectations given their advanced ages, but they were absolutely brilliant on the night.

Always struck me of a man of class and from what I have read over the last 24 hours, sounds like he was.

The Stones will continue as long as Mick and Keef (who is immortal and will never die!!) are able to grace the stage (and there's money to be made!).

RIP Charlie, you will be missed!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Ah sad to hear, RIP Charlie, I never ever got to see the Stones live, my brother did though in 1976, the Black and Blue tour.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,787 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Roger Taylor of Queen is another distinctive drummer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭dasdog

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

i wonder did Charlie take a lot of 'charlie' during the years?

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭3d4life

In the happeny place compared to the lovely Anita Pallenberg.

Bring back the 1960's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Spore

We really have to ask ourselves, what kind of world are we leaving to Keith Richards?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,811 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mad to think he was touring the world two years ago as a 79 year old drummer.

in hindsight you’d wonder why ? I’m sure or I imagine he loved the shows, but all the traveling, PR / press, rehearsals, sound checks , actual gigs, meeting fans which to some level would be unavoidable... photos of him in the last year had him looking tired, thin and considerably his age.

the number of dates a year had decreased down and it wasn’t night after night but fûck, for a man his vintage, I guess he must have enjoyed it, or was it a case that the demand and position he held he might not have felt

this was taken 15 months ago...

Not looking too great, obviously something up. Went to see them in Croker and he looked great...there. RIP Charlie

Advertisement