Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Ancestor Search: Faherty and Hughes

Registered Users Posts: 4 MattJQ

Hi everyone:

I am a first time visitor to this site/board. Hoping for some genealogy help.

I've found a marriage record for my 2nd great grandparents Manus Faherty and Ellen Hughes 12 Jun 1845 in Oughterard, Galway but I'm not sure what town was home for them.

In their death records in America, Manus's parents are listed as Thomas Faherty and Margaret Costalow[?]. Ellen's are listed as John Hughes and Honora Sullivan.

Manus Faherty (1807?-1880)

Ellen Hughes Faherty (1819-1873)

If anyone can help me find more information I would appreciate it.

Matt

Comments

• Welcome!

There's a Manus Faherty born to Thomas (mother not recorded) in 1808 in Moycullen, which is the adjacent parish to Oughterard. Nothing to prove it's the same person though. No other records matching those parents. She's likely to be Costello.

No matches that fit for Ellen. It's likely to be her parish they married in. I did find a Mary Hughes born 1828 to John Hughes and Mary Sullivan. No other children with that parent combo or Honora.

It would be worth investigating the witnesses on the 1845 marriage to see if you can trace what happened to them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Thank you! On the marriage it looks like the witnesses are a Darcy[?] Faherty and another Ellen Hughes.

• Transcription said Dermot, from memory.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Thank you. I had trouble deciphering.

• Thank you. I had trouble deciphering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement