Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ancestor Search: Faherty and Hughes

• 24-08-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi everyone:

I am a first time visitor to this site/board. Hoping for some genealogy help.

I've found a marriage record for my 2nd great grandparents Manus Faherty and Ellen Hughes 12 Jun 1845 in Oughterard, Galway but I'm not sure what town was home for them.

In their death records in America, Manus's parents are listed as Thomas Faherty and Margaret Costalow[?]. Ellen's are listed as John Hughes and Honora Sullivan.

Manus Faherty (1807?-1880)

Ellen Hughes Faherty (1819-1873)

If anyone can help me find more information I would appreciate it.

Matt

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Welcome!

There's a Manus Faherty born to Thomas (mother not recorded) in 1808 in Moycullen, which is the adjacent parish to Oughterard. Nothing to prove it's the same person though. No other records matching those parents. She's likely to be Costello.

No matches that fit for Ellen. It's likely to be her parish they married in. I did find a Mary Hughes born 1828 to John Hughes and Mary Sullivan. No other children with that parent combo or Honora.

It would be worth investigating the witnesses on the 1845 marriage to see if you can trace what happened to them.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 4 MattJQ

Thank you! On the marriage it looks like the witnesses are a Darcy[?] Faherty and another Ellen Hughes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,614 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Transcription said Dermot, from memory.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Thank you. I had trouble deciphering.

Thank you. I had trouble deciphering.

• Advertisement
Advertisement