Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice, scrapping car and car tax? :)

Options
  • 24-08-2021 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭

Hi, We have a car that my wife marked as being off the road about a year and a half ago (she bought a new car then), apparently when marked off the road this only lasts for a year. The car is undriveable and we have no intentions of ever using it and want to scrap it.

My question is - will we have to pay the tax for it for the time the year was up until now before getting it scrapped??

Post edited by biko on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

How is it being transported to wherever it is going to be scrapped?

Arrears are payable at 1/10 of the annual rate when or if you next tax the car. If the car is not going to be in a public place before it is scrapped there is no need to tax it.

Make sure you get a certificate of destruction when the car is scrapped.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,144 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Just get a certificate of destruction from the scrap yard for it when they take it away. I think you need to send that onto the motor tax division in Shannon for them to process it as end of life and no longer registered to you. Very important you get that certificate when selling it to a scrap yard otherwise the reg will stay under your ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If the car is undriveable you'll need a trailer or recovery wagon to get it to the scrap yard. You only need to tax it if you are going to drive it to the scrap yard and if you are going to drive it "buy" it off your wife and that'll clear the back tax, if you are going to drive it make sure that you have insurance as the driving other cars extension may not apply to a spouses car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some scrap yards collect cars but typically they give you not much for your car, I suggest ringing around and haggling if you need it collected and don't accept zero. Make sure you get certificate of destruction.

Advertisement