Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is it cheeky to ask my landlord for a new hoover?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

Make it easy for him. Suggest you arrange to buy the hoover - ask him for a price ceiling and he can reimburse you on receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

No they don't. It can be listed as a asset for the landlord but they can simply remove it from the list. Nobody signs a rental agreement dependent on a hoover

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭crl84

Um no.

There are many things in houses/apartments when you move in that may be provided for your convenience, but the landlord is under no obligation to provide or replace.

Unless it's specifically mentioned in the lease, then the LL doesn't have to replace it.

Most landlords will be decent and get it replaced though if it's broken.

"Poor suction" is a matter of interpretation, and being old and big isn't a valid reason.

Hi all, OP here. Thanks for all the replies.

So I asked my landlord, explaining that the hoover is very old, not very effective, and is difficult to use, so would he kindly be willing to supply a new one so we can keep the place clean?

He replied that this was no problem, then txt again to say he’d ordered one from Amazon for us. What a sound bloke!

Moral of the story: if you don’t ask you don’t get :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,198 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Just an update on this.

I jinxed myself.

Hoover broke

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

As a landlord, anything that was in the house I rented to my tenants, I am ok with them asking me to upgrade or repair.

Doesn't mean I will agree to every request, but don't think it is at all out of place to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭Archeron

Hope you get a Henry. Having that jolly little red face following you around is like having a new pet. Hoovering is a lot more effective when you get on well with your hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,268 ✭✭✭AllForIt

l'd trown a glass of water on the motor from a distance whilst turned on. Let it dry out after the motor blows and then tell your landlord it's faulty. Since it's an old thing they won't doubt you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The landlords reading this might doubt a tenants story based on this encouragement to be deceiving. That's worth keeping in mind.

Seems your landlord is much more decent than lots of the tight arses on here 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 SophyQ

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SophyQ

Not at all! It wouldn't be cheeky to request a new one. I think the landlord has to provide a comfortable living. And to ask for a new hoover is not cheeky at all. Possibly, they refuse, but you have to say anyway. If you don't want to be an inconvenience to the landlord, I can recommend this https://menacetopests.com/dust-mite-vacuum/#product4. It's a light one and you can take it with you when moving out. Hope this is helpful

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,660 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Just a thought, have you tried emptying the bag ?

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭CinammonGirl

Delighted you got your new hoover OP! As a landlady, I would be v happy if tenants asked to upgrade a hoover (I had one in my property but tenants brought their own). Shocked at the scabby responses on here!!!

Being based in a country where the tenant rents a totally empty apartment, and must supply all their own furnishings, electronics, appliances, and even curtains, I think it's laughable that Irish tenants expect a landlord to provide them with a hoover. Do you expect them to provide toilet paper with which to wipe your arses, too?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes landlords are thick and have never had a tenant intentionally break things. Had a tenant claim the washing machine just broke suddenly. Look at mangled runner by machine and bits of runner in the machine.

"Did you put your runners in the washing machine?"

"No why would I do that?"

" To clean them"

"Not me"

" Why are there bit of runner in the machine and a mangled runner there"

"No idea"

"is that your runner"

" no"

"You live here alone, who owns the runner"

"I don't know"

" I'll get you a new washing machine but you will pay for it"

"That's not fair it is an old machine"

"It's 3 years old"

" I won't pay"

"OK"

When getting their deposit it is reduced by the cost of the machine. He goes balistic reports me to the taxman and files a case with the PRTB. No issue with tax, go to the PRTB and he is a no show. Genuinely not worth making him pay so I don't bother anymore just add it to the costs of being a landlord

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

Best way to manoever this is to ask for the hoover and suggest you buy it from nexts months rent deduct the amount and buy a new hoover give him the recieipt & leave it in the apartment when you leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not all our fault you chose to live somewhere miserable. Suck it up. Oh, you can't. You didn't get a shiny new vacuum like the OP did! 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 13,367 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

This thread was started in August of last year and the OP was sorted within days.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

sorry the query just resonated with me as i did have the same issue and asked for the hoover thanks for the update :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I’d it was me I’d buy one myself and take it when I leave

Advertisement