Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cost to replace timing belt

Options
  • 23-08-2021 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭

looking for ballpark cost to replace timing belt 04 Passat 1.9 diesel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭denismc

I have had it done on a skoda 1.9 tdi for 450 euro at an independent garage. There is a bit of work changing the VW, Skoda timing belt so expect upwards of 4-500 euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭cocoman

As above poster said 400-450. When was it last done? How many km ago? You'd need to weigh up if it's worth spending that sort of money on an 04 car or just chance it and do nothing ubtil car dies. How many km on car now and does anything else need doing.

The 1.9 Tdi is fairly bulletproof and could last a long time more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Any idea cost for a 2015 Dacia duster cam belt ?

DIY and it cost only belt + belt related accessories. Sure you can cut the cost like 99% car owners does and ignore belt related accessories (idler, water pump, tensioner). Sorry if on that list is mistake, different engines, different configurations. Only very few car owners understand that, the bearings wear, rest of even do not know there is bearings or something wear - brainless...

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Are you seriously suggesting that 99% of car owners ignore changing water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys when doing a timing belt.

Would you ever shut up, I'm sick to death of your absolute nonsense, you haven't a clue what you're talking about, I've only been doing DIY myself for 4 years and I can tell you're chock full of sh1t.

If the OP knew how to DIY a timing belt, they wouldn't be asking how much it costs, and doing a timing belt is for an experienced DIYer, not because its difficult, but because a lot can go wrong. It's not like changing brake discs and pads and saying to someone oh you'd pick that up easy.

To the OP: if you have €500 set aside you'll be covered, probably have some change leftover. Not sure what the timing belt is like to do on those 1.5 Renault engines

• Advertisement

This was not suggestion, this is reality and the truth hurts. Sure, 20 euro here, 30eur there it quickly makes it more expensive job. That is the reason why almost everybody select cheaper option and ignore the related accessories. Ignoring 1 thing, ignoring other thing fills the junkyard fast. This is insane to see under 10 year old car on junk yard, all thanks for careless (or brainless) owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

What are you on about at all?

For one thing, I don't know of any garage that would accept a customers request to just change the timing belt and not do the tensioner while you're in there, and likewise the water pump.

Secondly, If someone was changing the Timing belt themselves, they wouldn't not change out all the bits and pieces while they went to all the work to remove the belt in the first place.

You have a very negative view of people working on their cars, everything is junk and rubbish and bad owners to you. When in actual fact, you're probably not even a mechanic, not with how much time you spend on this forum spewing your shite.

So once again you're full of sh1t.

Do us all a favour and just leave the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

People do not come here to be treated condescendingly or for you to label them as careless, brainless or ignorant. This comment is an excellent example of your contempt for this forum and it's users.

The forum is here to provide friendly, helpful advise and for nobody to be treated as lesser or looked down upon.

Local Car Mechanic - Banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Thanks for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

In the dealer we charged 650 for timing belt and water pump but there was always a "deal" for 550 or 570 I think it was. Fairly handy belt to do normally took about an hour and half, independents that I know of normally charging 400-450

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

Car that age hardly worth the cost of a timing belt change. Car that age is on the old tax regime and has yearly NCT so its of very low value. You'd wonder is it even worth bothering with.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

Advertisement