Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ride on mower collection system clogs constantly.

• 22-08-2021 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a John Deere LA125, 21HP ride on mower with a 42'' deck. It is approx 10 years old and I recently fitted a side collection and bagging system to it.

No matter what I try to tweak, the collection system constantly blocks up with grass. After a short run, grass blocks the side chute and I end up cutting the lawn without the collection system. Have other people had similar experiences with side collection? Is the grass just to heavy and wet in Ireland, even on dry days, to be collected via the side of the deck?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I think it does, despite the warm spell we are having now the ground is quite wet and so is the base of the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

I have a side discharge mower too and now never use the collector system, it hates damp or wet grass and is just a pain in the you know what. Mine worked fine on really really dry grass but how often is that lol. one thing that does help though if you want to persist with it is to keep the vents on the top of the deck around the mandrels clear so it can draw in lots of air to push clippings up the Shute and where the air escapes at the side of the bins or bags (whichever yours has). don't let it grow long, cut often and go fairly slowly to allow it to blow through. I hope this helps you but I can see you letting it fly free like myself eventually or go nuts with the pipe.

Another thought... check what blades are on it, mulching blades won't generate enough wind in the deck for this system you'd need what I think are called high lift blades.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭blackbox

All good advice. Another thing is to use full throttle.

Advertisement