If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Projector Query

Options
  • 20-08-2021 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm doing up the mancave and want to get the best projector I can.

I will need a retractable screen also - preferably remote controlled.

I would like to be able to watch TV through Sky and a firestick and would like to be able to have them plugged in at the same time. I am clueless about the picture quality etc. I splashed out a Sony KD49XH8196 TV for another room and I was blown away by the picture quality compared with the other cheap TVs I've bought - Not sure if a projector can match that though!

I am also considering wireless sound system to be connected if you have options for that as well.

Thank you.

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 4,416 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: DavidS

Thanks for the post jinkybhoy!

If you're looking for a good projector I would recommend going for a 4K one to get the best possible picture quality. The Sonys are great Tvs and you won't get the same colour, brightness and contrast from a projector but you'll still get a good image so long as there is minimal ambient light when you are running it.

I would start off looking at the Optoma UHD38 which is a fantastic 4K projector with a good contrast ratio and brightness:

If you're looking for the best though I would definitely consider the Optoma Cinema X P2. It's a short throw laser projector but gives a stunning picture:

You can plug two sources into these but I would recommend adding a sound system with an AV receiver as the sound built into projectors is not the best. It's slightly better on the Cinema X P2 as they are front firing speakers but a sound system would really add to the experience. Having an AV receiver will also allow you to plug the HDMI sources into it and only have one cable going back to the projector.

What size of screen are you looking to add and I can check the pricing for you!

Kind regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭jinkybhoy

Thank you David.

The short throw projector looks class but don't think I could swing it at that price!!

I'll check the size I'm looking for tonight and I'll get back to you.

No problem jinkybhoy, keep me posted!

Kind regards

David

Hi

I measured the space. I think the UHD 38 is the one I would go with. I'd prefer the P2 but don't think it would work for me - I may have a way to work around it but will go with the UHD for the moment.

The size of the screen I would need would be approx 7 ft x 7 ft. I am hoping to be able to put the projector at the far wall which would be approx 17 ft back from that - Is this to far? I have the option of half that distance which would mean removing the light fixture in the middle of the room in the ceiling but would rather have it at the back.

I would like to have 4 speakers for each corner of the room at roof level and if they could be wireless it would be ideal.

Thank you.

Emmett

Thanks for getting back to me Emmett!

You can't go wrong with the UHD38 projector, it's a great unit!

If you're placing the projector 17 feet back from the screen that would give a huge image size. For a 92" diagonal screen (which would be around 7 feet wide) you would need a throw distance of roughly 3 meters. For that size of screen I would go with a Sapphire SWS200WSF 92" pull down screen:

For a sound system - there aren't many wireless sound systems that would connect to a projector. A projector doesn't have ARC so you you would need to add an AV receiver to it with HDMI. These would need to take wired speakers though and all of your components would plug into the AV receiver via HDMI with one HDMI output going to the projector for picture.

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

• Advertisement

Thank you for that. Very helpful.

I could go wired as I have to replace floor anyway so could thread the cables under the floorboards.

I have a SKY Q box in that room and would prefer not to have to move it. On the old SKY boxes I used to use a infrared eye thing to watch the sky box in other rooms (Couldn't watch different channels) - Is there a solution similiar to that I could use instead of having to move the SKY Box? I have SKY mini boxes so if worst came to the worst, I could just use that but then I would be down a box as you can only use 2 mini boxes at the same time.

Thanks

Hi Emmett,

If you have a spare satellite input you could use a Freesat recording box like a Freesat UHD4X?

Let me know what you think!

Kind regards

David

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.