Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition Authority

• 20-08-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭

There is an interesting agreement reached by Motor insurers and the EU competition authorities. It really shows shows toothless the Irish CA is in dealing with larger. companies. What they pulled up the insurance companies in was price signalling.

Is it time now for farm organisations to look for the EU CA ( Competition and Consumer Protection Commission) to investigate practices in the Irish processing industry. It is obvious once again that after the latest price pull that there is co-ordination within the industry to control the price of stock. Reports indicate that processors used feedlot stock and preferred suppliers stock over the last couple of weeks to try to back up supplies. As the Irish CA has indicated it feels its not its job to investigate anti competitive practices within the industry surly it time to go over there heads to the EU CCPC.

Slava Ukrainii

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

The IFA line is still that all is fine, a low margin high throughput business.

The ifj reported that,foyle meats accounts show the average between directors and employees and grossing 39000€. Which apparently isn’t excessive.. (I’d love to ask the 1200 or so migrant workers how close this is to their contracts😂) ,that their corporate expenses are in order and that they only nett 40€ an animal after paying themselves a reasonable wage.

even though it’s lost on them a 10cent pull in price with no change down the chain is almost grossing that alone!

So in short there’s no point in asking the gobshites in the IFA.

who does that leave us with?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Perhaps it's time for a little reminder from this time 2 years ago.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is it really anyones business how they run their business

Yes if farmers could only be less begrudging and learn how to run a business like a beef baron. Do we start with the political donations? The migrant labour? Fix the price of feed , fert, diesel? What we need is the abolition of best agricultural practice and some good old fashion relentlessly capitalism with a good measure of corruption from the right people and we too will all be billionaires😏

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

it actually is. It’s illegal to intentionally create a cartel of businesses with the intent of manipulating the market. That’s everyone’s business.

And if IFA weren’t beholden to the factories to collect the levies and hand them over they might sing a different tune, but no, easy money to fill the pensions trumps all.

• Advertisement

with beef over 4.00 there’s no appetite for that. I don’t think a beef meeting of any description would rise more farmers than what watch love island!

You have to prove there is a cartel. the best thing some can do now is join/form an organisation and show the rest of us how it's done.

Too many barstool experts around

But sure that'd be breaking the law and the guards (public servants) wouldn't let that happen,

IFA looked for information on the cartel a while back, where were you then .

https://staineslaw.ie/ifainvestigation.html

There’s two very good points in fairness to you! And close to checkmate for me I concede!

I could dig up 30 years of close to identical quotes from factories owned by Goodman, Quelly,Browne’s and formerly Bert Allen but it’s unlikely to be enough for an investigation, which needs to comprehensive in both formal and informal communications between these people, and if the ifa have asked and can’t get any help from the lawful government of the country for such blatant blagardism without first hand information that’s fine in my view now with some reflection,

However for the ifa and ifj to resort (in exasperation) to actually defending the indefensible just because they are haemorrhaging money and farmer support (because of perceived inaction),

It spits in face of many members principles.

Wars were fought and won for these same principles!

In times past printed press would pay homage to landed gentry.. (read in your best upper English accent) what what... if the labourer were as industrious with his pig and his rented acre and worry not what is squandered in the big house!!

Post edited by Jjameson on

'twas tthe very same line from IFA, Dept and IFJ in 2012 that kept my entitlements at the value they were for the last ten years so it's difficult for me to conced your point.

The factories will never change their attitude to farmers so you might as well do what you can inside your gate to improve your lot and may be pressure the govt on subsidies

• Advertisement

As long as the ifa reps are ok, to hell with the majority?

12 yers out from decoupling I felt I was entitled to keep them but I can't really defend keeping them now, circumstances change but even with that 20 years is too far out .

And to be fair I've said that before here in the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Is it all 'over' for beef farming any way, here and worldwide? Ill miss the bit of occasional beef but I'm old enough not to care too much. I lived on farms without being a farmer(!) and I know its hard work.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,015 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

How do you make out it's "over" when consumption is rising?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭PMBC

Please re-read - is it all over ......?

Cows, methane.

I eat chicken, ham/pork and lamb

There's no one defending the factories, if you had ever made any effort to take on the factories you'd see it's pointless and fair dues to the meat processors for being able to out manouver the farmers.

Beef plan blaguarded IFA based on lies and abuse and still didn't achieve anything only splitting farmers to no advantage. Telling every one that coveney was related to goodman should've shown intelligent farmers what they were made of. lies, lies, and more lies

Coveney is no relation but no stranger on a personal basis either. Harvest 2020 beef exports were a winner for all but the farmers.

but that nugget is neither here not there. We are ploughing old ground here again.

Nothing or no one is permanent and we should never ever give and say fair play well done to a cartel of processors who are profiteering off our backs. Because that’s what gives oxygen to and soapboxes to morons like some of afore mentioned beef plan!

Any one who's self employed in this f...ing country should say fair play to any successfull company, Civil servants have made this a rubbish country for the self employed.

You’re not wrong! But I will never say well done to likes of Larry Goodman,Charlie Haughey or even Bert Allen (who got caught robbing a widows cow after it walked home!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

Anyone who has any interest in protecting the livelihood of themselves and their colleagues should say fair pay to civil and public service unions . By comparison, the IFA should be ashamed of themselves in how they have allowed a cartel to rule

There's half a dozen farm organisations now and no one is able to prove a cartel, everyone is claiming to be so smart now why aren't they able to do better. time to stop the begrudgery

I should put up a picture of a local factory that grew in the last thirty years, I get my hair cut now in the little shop that factory owner started in, it's about 12 ft by 8ft. now he has a fine factory on 100 acres that he bought. Irish farmers should be ashamed of not being able to do the same with 100s of thousands of free money contributed in the sixties. Too many bar stool experts and begrudgers to make a success of anything

Civil servants run the country, every time I went to meet a minister it might be a different minister each time but the civil servants would be the same so if the nurses etc apply for more money, the civil servant know if they give any increases, eventually all public service will get it, same with sick pay, holidays,etc.

Put up a picture of every small butcher put out of business by our beloved civil servants 25 years ago as well!

I'm just after collecting a lamb from a small butcher in Kilbeggan, I think the butchers that went out of business wanted to close. Dunbia did their best to close this local butcher with a factory shop even after the regulations and failed .He even has a son taking over now

You'd wonder what the true story is of closing down butchers...... see the same with a butcher in the middle of mullingar fr the last fifty years.

You wrote up thread ‘ fair play to any successful company ‘ . It’s safe to assume you include some or all of the beef processors in this .

it would be very easy to be successful if you were a business owner who could instruct your accountant to write cheques for 800,000 pounds to people who never existed. Even the RUC at the height of the troubles could mot identify those involved . And then have the Irish government bail out the same company when the export credit insurance wouldn’t cover their losses.

That was the civil service even then , they should've assessed the risk in the export credit insurance, they shouldve known what'd happen...... every one else knew they wouldn't be paid

That was 40 years ago, it's doubtful if theres much of that left.

And the cheques issued to shadows . And the rotten meat . And the cattle carousel

All Civil Servants ?

They're suposed to be in the factories doing their job, why are they there otherwise.

• Advertisement

You have to be winding this up / trolling at this stage !

Do you honestly believe that some public servant would have access to that type of information ? in real-time? It took millions in legal fees and a sworn public enquiry to bring into the public domain what emerged in the Beef Tribunal .

Its like a thief blaming the guards for not stopping him when he robbed the bank .

Advertisement