Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Earth rod question

Options
  • 19-08-2021 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Is there a way to prove that a house has an earth rod installed if I can't physically get at or see the earth rod.

My thinking was:

If I do a fault loop test and get a reading of say •25 and then I disconnect the main earth at the board and do the test again I should get a low reading if an earth rod is installed and connected properly. Does anyone know if this is correct and what approximate value should I get. Obviously it will be higher than •25 but not sure what I should expect to get.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭meercat

the earth rod inspection chamber should be visible and available for inspection. a good indicator would be the number of 10sq at the earth busbar but I wouldn’t rely on that. My advice is to drop another earth rod. Only a rec is permitted to work on main distribution boards

if the main neutralising link is disconnected you should get a higher earth loop impedance reading

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,532 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

The connection to earth via the earth electrode is quite high (I would expect over 100 Ω). It is connected in parallel with multiple other earth electrodes (from local houses) unless you have a dedicated transformer (this can be the case in rural areas). What also needs to be considered is the very low resistance parallel path via the neurtral. Therefore to answer you question, no I don't think your proposal would work. As above, if you suspect that you don't have an earth electrode then you should have one installed.

Advertisement