Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Waste Silage Tyre Disposal - Costs?

• 18-08-2021 3:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭ Rowley Birkin QC

Afternoon all. There's a mix of car and truck waste tyres at home that were previously used for covering pits. They're no longer needed and a bit of an eyesore, especially after the covid cleanup that has has happened!

I'm trying to get a handle on costs but no websites seem to give detail on same. If I had to estimate, there's probably 200-230 car tyres and 100-120 truck tyes. We're based in North Cork and don't have means to transport the tyres ourselves for any of the bring days. I've seen options for collection, shredding on site etc. without any costs attached.

Just wondering how others have fared when looking into sorting this out. The oul lad has a bit of a "wait and see" attitude in hopes of a scheme being funded but from what I've read (https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2021-03-31/227/#pq-answers-227), this wouldn't seem to cover old waste tyres.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭ mallowgarry

There was a subsidised bring scheme a few years ago, and the entire nation is holding its breath waiting for the next one. The big switch from pit to bales, and from car to lorry tyres has left everyone with some sort of pile of mixed rubber lying about. There was talks of another scheme, but Covid has set the entire programme back, although circular economy etc. might accelerate things.

For a commercial premises, the charge is about €10 for a lorry tyre, and maybe €2 per car tyre. Some of the collectors will turn up with a grab lorry. It may be a per-weight basis for farmyard collections.

Ireland generates about 7 million waste tyres per year, AES Bord na Mona have started crumbing them, and Irish Cement just got permission to burn 1 million tyres per year in the Mungret Cement plant. But there is still an unmerciful glut of them lying around farmyards.

I thought they would last forever, but I saw a pile last week where the tyres have all started to come apart, chunks of rubber and shedding wire.

Whatever you do, use a Registered Collector from the list here - https://repakelt.ie/membership/collector-list/

I'll PM you the name of the collector I would use

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Maxxx17

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭ Bog Man 1

I went to O Tolle skip Hire and he charged me around €215/tonne . There were quite a lot of tyres and there was not even a tonne in it .

https://www.otooleskiphire.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

That sounds very cheap, Crumb rubber collected mine years ago when recycling wasn't all the go , they charge €2 at the time, cost me about 2500

Advertisement