Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Things we use to Motivate Ourselves

Options
  • 17-08-2021 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭

I think that often the thing that is underpinning someone's motivation might be something that they're not even aware of. So it can be worth having a think about sometimes.

This is one thing that I've found about myself. Often when new to a job because it's best to learn fast in order to make life easy. So in order to learn fast I will chase after that compliment that the boss will give when he sees that I can learn the tasks quickly. If I don't get the compliment, it'll just make me try harder for it. The great thing is, that the person who's compliment you're chasing doesn't know the real reason you're working so well. When I hear words like "good work today" I act like it's not even a big deal but yet it means a lot to me. So basically, I get to use that person to make me do something that is to my benefit anyway. Of course if I still don't get the compliment then I mightn't bother working so hard in after that.

I used to motivate myself this way in school a lot too. Let's say there was a topic I was greatly interested in but found quite difficult to grasp. The fact that I would have the interest would not be enough in itself. So often knowing the teacher would phrase my work would be the factor that would make me work hard. I remember at one point I was having problems at the place I worked. They did happen to be very under staffed. I sought motivation in finding a better job by knowing that I'd leave them in the lurch. They were due for an audit the week after after I handed in my notice!

The only downside to this tactic is that you're placing a certain amount of trust in the person that you're trying to prove yourself to. If they prove themselves not to be a fair person, then this sort of backfires. But ultimately the reason I'm chasing after compliments in the first place is because I'm a neurotic people pleaser. I've no doubt that a lot of people's motivation stems from a desire for approval. So it probably makes sense that some of the most confident people you will meet are people who draw the dole, and who have no ambitions what so ever.

The other day I was running up a hill when I could hear a tractor coming up that further down the hill. It was a big long hill, and I said I'd show off to whoever was in it by running faster. I'd say I ran up that hill about 30% than what I usually would have. Once I got to the top of the hill I couldn't have even been bothered looking back to actually see who was in the tractor.

Have you ever had an unusual motivation factor?

Post edited by Brid Hegarty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

bump

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

Unless your manager is incapable of doing their job they will be very aware of your trigger points and use them accordingly. Great fun too to play with the prey, too.

Most people are oblivious to how obvious they are, which makes it even funnier. At least you recognise your own pressure points OP.

Well that's true too. It's best if you have a minimal amount of interaction with the person who's approval you're seeking. Something as small as a particular word you choose could give yourself away... and then the jig is up.

So you exploit others' motivation, but you haven't said what it is you use to actually motivate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,068 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Usually when I see a nutter trying to get away from my by running up a hill, I motivate myself to speed up so that I could potentially try to run them over with my tractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭Parachutes

I just try get through the week so I can have a rake of pints the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Not sure if motivation is right but the weighing scales motivates me to stay on the diet when I step on it and it scares the shite out of me

For exercise music definitely motivates me. I've songs I only ever listen to in the gun and they definitely get me going.

At work my manager is A+. He asked me what I want to achieve in my career. Any projects not related to my goals he's up front about it and any projects he knows I'd benefit from he gives me a nudge towards. Knowing I'm getting something out of my day to day definitely helps with the motivation. Earlier in my career doing monotous development work I had done 100 times before definitely didn't light a fire under me

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

"Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them"

Dart Vader

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

The modern idea is that more productivity comes from getting good at doing stuff when you are completely unmotivated, uninspired and

not feeling like doing it. Because that's how people feel most of the time. Motivation and feeling good is fleeting and rare. But everpresent can be

the self-discipline and mental toughness to routinely do **** you thoroughly don't feel like doing.

• Advertisement

Yes. But if there was an app that could give the right thought to someone at the right time, it would do wonders! Like with the general who ordered his soldiers to burn their burn upon arrival of an island they wanted to conquer; which meant that if they didn't conquer the island they'd certainly die. That's where the perhaps not so well none phrase "to burn one's boats" came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I guess my lack of confidence is my motivator. I automatically think my work is sub standard. I get the feeling management are just about to notice, so I push myself on.

One year someone complained about my work quantity, so management checked the data and low and behold I was top of the list.

Then i found my performance levels dropped because I hadn't got the fear anymore.

Burning your boats. Similar to the saying 'throwing your cap over the wall'.

You'll certainly be highly motivated. And that's good. But you also have everything to lose now and the associated anxiety of that. The practical/tactical disadvantage of having no line of retreat.

A useful motivator is to remember the faces of your enemies or anyone that has fkuced you over. And visualise them watching you. At a moment where you're striving/struggling to find motivation - see them watching you, hoping you fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

For me, probably my lifelong sense of not being good enough. And so I strive, forever, to be better, more etc. Really, it's exhausting and I know that I annoy others with my seemingly altogetherness! If only they knew!

Advertisement