Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your least favourite Star Trek series?

• 15-08-2021 7:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭
    Ms

The opposite of the other thread that we have had for some time.

So whatvseries do you not like or even hate?

For me it is Discovery. It promised ao much but delivered nothing good. The ships most of them have been terrible the new copy cat Aliens a disaster and as for the crew well except for Micheal and Saru they have all been forgettable. It has basically been the Micheal Burnham show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭JayRoc

It's a tie between Enterprise and Discovery. I watched just enough to know I will never watch any more.

Actually, can I include the new "Star Trek" films?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Rawr

Discovery. I'm simply not having any fun with it.

As flawed as I felt both Enterrpise and Voyager where, I could still gleen some enjoyment from them. But Discovery very quickly become a chore to watch which goes against the whole idea of entertainment.

Picard is nearly down there too, but at least for the first half I remember having fun with it. There was still potential and hope, and despite them imploding all of that by the end, it was still an easier watch than Discovery.

Even including the JJ-verse moives, I would still put Discovery at the bottom of this barrel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Yes you can include the new Star Trek films from 2009 if you want. I would say for me "Into Darkness" was just terrible. The worst Star Trek film ever.

"Beyond" I do like.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭SteM

Discovery,hands down. I've kept watching until now but won't bother with the new season.

We're rewatching Voyager at the moment, enjoying it more than I did the first time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,021 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Enterprise, T" Pol, need I say more 😉

This said there was some pretty terrible actors in this series, Scott Bakula was just awful (amazed he ever worked again, he was equally irratating in the awful NCIS new Orleans).

The Trip character basically childish idiot and Lt Reid was just the obligitory annoying Brit (maybe that was deliberate), if so it worked. Like the Doc also.

Also liked Jeffrey Combs as Shran, he also featured in deep space nine, which had its moments.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I think Picard for the offense it committed against him. Picard wouldn't have ended up being a lonely, old dude who faced ageist discrimination (in the progressive utopia of the Federation, I'm surprised this was allowed to happen, just shows the lack of respect Alex Kurtzman has for the franchise). Honestly, all the Trek material since the Abrams-verse is shallow, boring and irritating. The characters are frequently subordinate to intricate plots I simply don't care about, there are deus ex devices like "red matter" and it's abandoned the optimistic, humanistic principles of Trek in favour of cynicism and "darkness". The world is already a dark place, I don't care much for cynicism or reasons why "things will never change/human nature". Trek could be "punk" in defying the broad trend of television to be grim-dark.

It really does feel like the Marvel/Hollywood blockbuster formula has been imposed on shows like Trek, such that even TV is no longer a safe haven. I find those films extremely tedious because the characters are simply plot functions and the plots are boring as hell. Why did Discovery have to start with "war" as a narrative. It's lazy af. Conflict is the source of drama but having nearly every show/film in Trek start off with this is annoying and unimaginative. It's similar to how Nemesis and Into Darkness tried to reproduce TWoK. I'm fed up with war as a narrative device in TV, I don't care about epic, galactic spanning events because they are so many of them. I want personal stories with profound implications or just beautiful universe building. For example, most people probably won't know this game but Planescape Torment is really cool because it has a story about 1 dude, who can't remember who he is and has tattoos on his back left by previous versions of himself. The narrative is interesting precisely because it's different, the focus is on characters, and it has some deep elements going on. Why can't you have a story like that unfold in a Trek show? I don't feel like these new Trek shows are Trek at all, they're just using the name.

Picard got me, or that Lower Decks one if it counts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,404 ✭✭✭1874

Hands down, Discovery, Burnham annoyed me, completely unlikeable. Some special effects were good, esp with the ships in the first series, first fleet to fleet battle. As Bad as Enterprise was, which I agree with the poster who mentioned one character was childish, but I thought the 3 main male characters were like petulant moronic children, couldn't get into it, that said, it was never as bad as Discovery. I liked the JJ-verse movies myself.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's tied between enterprise and discovery I guess. Enterprise for me if push comes to shove. It was the best premise with the worst execution. Discovery nips at its coattails and is an abominably written show, but something about missing the mark on a genuinely compelling part of the canon consistently annoys me; I expected more from Enterprise.

Ditto for me re. the Voyager rewatch (I haven't figured out how to quote part of a post yet)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭superflyninja

Discovery, its woeful. The plots are all based around feeeeelings and crying and bullshit. That scene where the Federation fleet assembled and EVERY SHIP WAS THE SAME! What the f*ck? The only good thing to come from Disovery was Captain Pike. He was pretty awesome.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Picard. Not even close, really.

Id forgotten about Picard. That show....wow. Between Picard and Discovery it seems like Alex Kurzman is on a mission to destroy Star Trek. At best he doesn't understand a thing about the franchise or sci-fi in general. Or coherent plots for that matter. JJ has his mystery box, not getting answers is frustrating yes, but we have seen inside Alex Kurzman's mystery box and its full of ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Cry trek.

That what we call discovery in our house.

The only way we can watch it is to bet at which minute into it Burnham tears up.

Star Trek died after Nemesis for me. Everything that followed was filth. I remember actually bursting out laughing really loud in the cinema at into Darkness when Spock roared Khan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Definitely Discovery by a country mile. The last season was the first time I'd ever groan out loud at the nonsense in a Trek show.

You need to watch Spock's Brain, so. It's fantastic in a groan-out-loud way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,578 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Discovery.

Its so woke, it put me to sleep.

To be fair I'm not sure where I'd put TOS on the list, but whereas all the series have some absolute clangers, I can't really pick anything but clangers from Discovery. I think there were a couple of okay episodes in season 2, but it's not great to be trying to find any examples of a good episode. There are some fund groan out loud episodes in all the series. Discovery feels more like watching a bad soap opera in space....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 80 ✭✭PogoRach

It'd have to be Discovery for me too. Gave it a fair shot before giving up about two thirds of the way through Season 3. It does have some high points, and I did really enjoy Lorca and Pike as characters, but overall the show fails to maintain my interest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,014 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

That's being very nice to Nemesis which was awful.

The warning signs are there in Insurrection but there is nothing redeeming about Nemesis

Not concentrating on the captain was a big mistake and Discovery wasted 2 excellent ones. Especially the cop out with Lorca

Ah tbh I was being fairly tongue in cheek. TOS is my favourite Star Trek show and even at its worst (ie Spock's Brain) it's still great fun.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Picard for me. At least Discovery is its own thing for the most part so I can compartmentalise it to some extent but Picard feels like it was written by people who never watched TNG and only know the character from the memes.

TOS gets away with a lot because obviously it has to be viewed as a show of it's time but there are some ropey episodes and acting. I don't think those old scientists really hit their stride until the movies

Yeah, I got that, just didn't come across in my reply, mea culpa! I think you got the main difference between TOS and Discovery though, TOS was fun. Discovery is joyless.

Just one example, when TOS, DS9, and ENT did mirror universe episodes they leaned into how ridiculous and over the top they could make the characters. Rarely my favourite episodes, but they were at least fun. The Discovery mirror episodes were joyless experiences with the cast and writers deciding that overacting was a good stand in for making actual "mirror" versions of the characters (who really had no development by the time the MU was introduced in season 1). Not only that, they made the mirror universe central to the plot of the show, in every single season, so whereas you could ignore dominatrix Kira since it was a once off episode, removed from the main story, you couldn't ignore the Discovery mirror stuff because they jammed it right into the middle of the plot.

Honestly I lay a whole lot of the blame for some of my issues with Discovery on the casting of Martin-Green and the fact she remains the singular focus of the show despite the fact she just isn't any good or compelling at all. Whisper tearfully, rage angrily, that seems to be the extent of her range. If the backroom staff admitted that she wasn't a strong enough actress to carry the entire show on her own and they moved back to the ensemble style of all other Trek to date something might have been salvagable. But instead they doubled down on her character being the pivot point of the entire universe. I did have hopes at the start of season 3, but by the end I was hate watching it.

Sorry for the rant!

I completely agree. Top to bottom that series made no sense. I don't think Kurzman or his team even understand the basics of the sci-fi genre itself never mind Star Trek. Its a shame Star Trek has fallen into the hands of these clowns. They are more concerned with making sure the shows are properly woke than having a plot that makes a lick of sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Evade

STD. It is, so far, the only Star Trek series I've dropped. I gave up a few minutes into the episode where they travel to Trill.

PIcard could end up joining it during season two and I am prepared for SNW to be unwatchable too.

Picard, largely because it utterly destroyed what one would have assumed would have been a happy, intellectually rich retirement.

I'd have had a vision of Picard settling into a nice retirement, exploring archaeology, keeping in touch with the old crew.

The Picard presented in that series isn't the Picard from TNG and it's got a terrible Disney quality to it sometimes.

The whole thing just seems undignified for someone who was probably one of the most dignified characters in the whole of Star Trek.

I know people were getting very excited about it and you've fans enjoying the nostalgia of it, but I just found it cringe-inducing to watch.

I would also put both Enterprise and Discovery as being parallel series that weren't really Star Trek at all.

Discovery's off on its own timeline and really doesn't feel like Trek most of the time. It's good sci-fi at times, but it's just not the same vibe at all. It's far too focused on a one character and the whole hero complex thing and I found the first series felt more like it was losing the whole essence of the Trek universe and was far too war like and just felt like - yuck, the whole ethos has gone.

Enterprise is far, far, far too dark and war-like. The ship is just grim and feels like you're watching the crew of a submarine. I never liked it and the acting is extremely poor. The singing theme tune is also just a bridge too far and unforgivable lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,293 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I have to disagree with you on Enterprise. How us it war like? They don't even get into big fights until the Xindi attack Earth and even then there is some separate episodes like "North Star" I did not find the ship grim. It is what our first faster than light ships would be like small compared to what comes later and yes more like a submarine it was purposely done like that to make it look primitive. Its a much better ship than what was in Picard or Discovery and is more Star Trek than either or the other two I just mentioned.

As for the Theme Tune I like but agree you need to be in the right mood to listen to it. If your after having a s-hit day at work it's probably the last thing you would want to listen to.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Advertisement