Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Oz/NZ TV and Movie Recommendations

• 13-08-2021 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭

I've fallen out of the loop on this in recent years, but I'm hoping to catch up through some great recommendations! 😉

In terms of TV, I've watched the likes of Underbelly (and it's various spin offs including the NZ one), Jack Irish, Outrageous Fortune, Westside, Les Norton, Bikie Wars, Upper Middle Bogan, The Moodys, Packed To The Rafters, Step Dave and stuff like that. I know I've forgotten a lot more!

In terms of movies, apart from the big budget/mainstream stuff, I've watched things like Chopper, The Merger, Backyard Ashes, The Cup, Power Games, Howzat (Kerry Packer's War), INXS - Never Tear Us Apart and a few more whose names escape me at the moment.

So, basically, stuff based on true stories, comedy, crime or any of the genres above. Have I missed much in the last few years?

(Mods, apologies if this isn't the right place - I posted here rather than the Television/Movies section because it's really only people who live or have lived in Oz/NZ would be able to reply)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭FernandoTorres

Would recommend Mr Inbetween and Rake TV Series and The Dry movie

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭thereitisgone

Also highly recommend Mr Inbetween,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

Thanks very much to both you, I've added to them all to my collection!

Any other recommendations, or does nobody watch TV in Oz anymore? 😋😁

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ucsie

TV shows I'd recommend (comedy and dramas):

Doctor doctor

800 words

Bump

Fisk

Amazing Grace

Five bedrooms

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭ax530

Watched Five Bedroom s recently on rte player thought it was very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

Back of the Y Masterpiece Television - If you want slapstick humour

Eating Media Lunch - same really

• Registered Users Posts: 81,073 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I watched Australian Gangster recently, decent enough watch, it has a Lambo in it 😁 . Apparently it was held back a while as it resembled a real life case.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Irish_Aus

Have you watched the Castle? Classic bit of Australiana.. There's also a show called Becoming Bond, George Lazenby narrates his story of how he bacame bond

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭jimdemp

The Nightingale (Australian Irish convict movie)

The Last Confession of Alexander Pearce ( Irish cannibal convict in Australia )

The Proposition (Irish Outlaws in Australia )

Mad Dog Morgan (Irish Outlaw in Australia )

Once Were Warriors ( Maori movie )

Queen City Rocker ( Maori movie )

The Craic ( illegal Irish backpackers in Australia Comedy )

Rabbit-Proof Fence ( Aboriginal Australian )

Samson and Delilah ( 2009 Aboriginal Australian )

Picnic at Hanging Rock (Drama/Mystery )

Puberty Blues ( 1981 Australian coming-of-age comedy )

Return Home ( 1990 Australian Drama )

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Feenix

The best Australian movie is "Bad Boy Bubby" in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,702 ✭✭✭BandMember

Apologies for the late reply, but thanks to everyone who responded!! :D A lot of stuff there that I will have to get watching. I think the only thing I've seen so far is Becoming Bond (The George Lazenby doc). That's the wet and dark nights sorted so..... ha ha

Advertisement