Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do I request a stop be added to a train service

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,542 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

It’s highly unlikely to happen until the re-signalling is completed, as the signalling sections on the Maynooth line are too long at present. In other words any additional stop on a Sligo train will have a knock-on effect on other services, which following Pelletstown's opening are going to be very tightly scheduled.

I do get the notion of the connection with LUAS, but that can be done at Connolly as it is with minimal time penalty and a cheaper LUAS fare for points south.

The Sligo train is supposed to be an Intercity service, but having two stops between Connolly and Maynooth is diminishing that notion being honest. Most Sligo trains already stop at Drumcondra, and another stop at the next station will just slow it even more and potentially cause congestion issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,984 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

that is what the stop in maynooth is for, responding to the passenger demands to access the suburban services without having to go all the way to dublin.

sligo services are one of the slowest in the country without becoming a semi-express suburban stopper as well.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Which passenger - the one who wants to get off in Broombridge, or the one who wants to get to Connolly in a reasonably quick time? Or is that another false dichotomy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

it is, yes

e: LXFlyer's comments on signalling upgrades are well taken, though

• Registered Users Posts: 27,192 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Eliminating the stop at Drumcondra is the answer to that.

The interchange at Connolly is with the Red Line, not the Green Line so it does not substitute.

Replacing the stop at Drumcondra with a stop at Broombridge enhances connectivity and makes the most sense.

• Advertisement

The Drumcondra stop was added in response to public requests to facilitate students at DCU amongst others.

I’m sure you’d be happy to explain to those passengers personally why their stop was removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,736 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

I'm sure there are passengers who'd appreciate a stop at Clonsilla too, to get to Dunboyne. And at Navan Road.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Everytime I ever got a train from Maynooth to Dublin it stopped for ages around Croke Park; at all times of the day. I can't see a stop at broombridge into dublin delaying stuff at all.

If you go contacting TD's make sure you are on the electoral register, know your local party TD, and mention that to TD's in other constituencies in each party, i.e tell SF TD's you mentioned it your local SF TS, tell FF TDs you mentioned it to your local FF TD.... you used polytechnic so I guess your from England, so you are entitled to a Dáil vote

Talk about a massive (and I do mean massive) over-simplification of how the railway works.

It certainly would cause delays.

Railways are scheduled on the basis of signalling sections, which means that for any new station stop it will cause issues along the entire line, and will require the timetable to be recast.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ChannelNo5

This a 100%. Apart from the signalling issues which @LXFlyer has explained, the timetable is already fixed for this year and wont be in a position to change before next May at the earliest anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,740 ✭✭✭SeanW

It's a difficult balancing act. If you add more stops to a long distance train, in this case Sligo and maybe Longford services, you make the service better by offering more connections. But every stop also slows the service down and can undermine its function as a long distance express, so you can't add stops without great care. The Drumcondra stop not only serves DCU St. Patricks campus, but also offers major bus connections along the old N1 to the Airport, Swords etc. So dropping that would be a questionable idea to say the least.

To my mind, the stopping pattern on Sligo services between Maynooth and Connolly should remain as-is until large parts of the DART upgrade are completed and the Glasnevin Interchange is built and begins to operate as a hub. Then, all trains going through Glasnevin should stop there with guaranteed connections onwards. This will be even more important once (hopefully when, not if) the Metro opens to the airport and Swords.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Drumcondra will likely be swapped for Glasnevin as it would serve much of the same connections; with the remaining Sligo-Drumcondra traffic being served by changing at Glasnevin.

Advertisement