Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone find cheap home insurance lately?

Options
  • 11-08-2021 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭

My policy last year was 330 with Axa but they went up to 420. Have filled in online forms for AIG, Quotedeveil, 123 and Liberty and they all are around 450 with An Post coming in at 520. Im insuring for 220 rebuiild and 40k contents.

Has house insurance just gone up in general or should I keep searching? Has anyone find a company that was more or less the same price as last year. I dont mind a 5 or 10% increase but the cheapest I can find is to renew with Axa for a 27% increase.

Also during last years policy I had one plumber call out under their emergency cover system. Its not a claim per se but do insurance companies all share that information? Could that be why my policy is getting hiked?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Aviva just renewed ours for about 5% more than year, looked around and couldn't see anything better.

Online is cheaper than calling.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would say with current material inflation costs and shortage of workers 25% could be expected. Have you been getting the rebuild cost from Society Of Charted Surveyors, this should be best source.

https://scsi.ie/consumer/build/house-rebuild-calculator/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Renewed ours and think it might be liberty - was about 400 for a bit more than you mention, think it was up approx 5% from last year which wasn't too bad.

I did check just for fun and found that if you look 4 weeks from renewal its on average 50 quid cheaper than if you looked 2 weeks from renewal.. Are you checking only a few days out from last expiry? Just a thought might not even be relevant

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

will watch this thread with interest - Mine was 335 last year and same company is 490 renewal with no claims or changes.

Broker is offering best price policy of 419 with another company.

Will have to shop around I thnk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers Sheep Shagger will try Aviva now. Tired of filling out online forms but calling them always seems to take even longer

AD- yeah I used the Surveyors site, it gave me a rebuild cost of 208k so Ive put 220k on all the forms

• Advertisement

So you're finding the same problem as me, 335 up to 419 is a fair hike of 25%.

Maybe some of it is because building matierals have increased in price in the last year like Atlantic Dawn suggested. But I'll be shopping around some more, will report back if I can find a good deal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

AA Home insurance worked out well for me last year, year before that it was FBD

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Thanks for this recommendation, I just tried FBD and they came in a fair bit lower than the others at 353 with optional accidental cover on contents for just 11 euro extra. I also tried the AA but their online system is down right now, will try again tomorrow but right now FBD is 70-100 euro cheaper than anything else I have found so looks like they are who Ill be going with.

Just for info purposes for others, insuring for 220k rebuild cost and 40k contents, semi detached house

Aviva 436

FBD 353 +11 for accidental cover on contents

Axa 420

An Post 520

AIG 454

Liberty, 123 and Quotedevil all between 440 and 450

So 6 companies all bunched between 420 and 454, then An Post way out on 520 with FBD the cheapest of them all on 353. I paid 330 with Axa last year so 353 with FBD is a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,326 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Every year i do the insurance dance, nearly always AA, FBD or 25plus work out best for home or car insurance. Saves me hundreds over auto renewing so I figure its an hour or two research well spent.

You'll need to send a letter into your bank with the new house insurance details if you have a mortgage, they all provide a standard form letter for this.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

yeah I think it is always a good idea to shop around, loyalty costs you money in the insurance market

• Advertisement

Just a final update on this. I was going to go with FBD with 353 + 11 euro for accidental cover but wanted to get just one more quote from the AA first. Their online system still isnt working today so just to try one more I went to Zurich who came back with a bargain quote of 301 +16 for accidental cover. So I took that.

Shopping around a real eye opener, quotes ranged from 301 to 520 with most of them in the 420-450 bracket. This time 2 days ago I was almost resigned to paying Axa their 420 renewal quote, very glad I didnt now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Dunno if it's still active but there was something like a 15% discount with Bord Gais and Zurich for Home insurance... they don't even check if you are a bord gais customer (just say you are) the code is BGEREWARDS . You could chance ringing them again and ask if they applied your code wink wink

https://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/home/zurich-home-insurance

Thanks @Treppen . I just went through the quote system on Zurich again to see if the code was valid and it is indeed, it gives a 29 euro discount bringing the premium down from 301 to 272

However on the site it says "As you have used a Bord Gáis Energy Rewards Code, we'll share certain information about you with Bord Gáis Energy for the purpose of administering your Bord Gáis Energy Rewards program"

which I guess means they are going to check with Bord Gais if I have a bill with them. Pity, as a further discount would have been sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Henry Ngo

Hi All,

My current home insurance is BOI. It is 230 euros for 2021 but the renew for 2022 will be 530 euros (the quote on their letter). It is very high.

However, I checked quote on BOI website (with same insuring for 270k rebuild cost and 15k contents), the quote on website is only 310 euros.

I want to ask that:

1) Can I cancel the current BOI home insurance and buy again a new BOI home insurance? (310euros is cheaper than 530euros on same BOI).

2) I am mortgaging with BOI, Can I change to another home insurance? e.g. Zurich is cheaper.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You can insure with whoever you like, just note the lenders interest in the property on the policy

I have often got new quotes from the same provider instead of just renewing, seems to work ok

I shopped around recently (330P, 60C +some all risks) and got what I considered a great deal with AXA (about €80 cheaper than current quote). I had my car insurance with them already

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Any decent broker can provide these services.

Don't promote single businesses here please. It's anti charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

our renewal went from 380 to 470 with liberty (thru a broker) - best they could do the broker said.

i got 720 from my car insurance provider, allianz - and that was after the super special online and loyalty discounts

a few came in around 450-560

Axa (online) came in at 372

back to broker, they did a bit of soul searching or whatever it is they do and came back to me 10 mins later to say they'd match the AXA quote if i stayed with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 LissArcen

How much insurance will increase next year remains to be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ElizabethS26

I agree with this, we live in such a time, it's not easy at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

My home insurance quote went from €258 last year to a whopping €632 this year. This is with Bank of Ireland/RSA.

I've never claimed on the policy and it is for precisely the same policy I had on the house last year. Is it simply a matter of their seeing I have been with them for five years so they figure that they can gouge me as they all do with elderly people?

Back in 2015 or thereabouts FBD tried to gouge me by putting up my car premium to pay for the money they lost at that time through all the flooding. I left FBD and I've never gone back.

Time to look for a more realistic home insurance quote than BofI/RSA. Any suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I just renewed mine, premiums have gone through the roof this year. I was with AXA and my renewal stated a minimum premium around the 450 mark + levys

I did the usual trawl on the internet and the two cheapest options were AXA (as a new customer) and Supervalue (!).

I ended up signing up with AXA as a new customer (they cant differentiate between new and existing customers in terms of pricing, but they can make it awkward). Supervalue were offering discount vouchers but we dont tend to shop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

I tried An Post Home Insurance and they came in at €285 for the year for the same policy that Bank of Ireland/RSA was trying to charge me €600 for. So, it might be worth checking them out.

https://www.anpostinsurance.ie/

Advertisement