Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

curious letter about ground rent

• 11-08-2021 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice on a curious letter I received in the post from Kenny Estates. It was not addressed to me by name but came to "the owner" of my address.

Basically, it is stating that I owe ground rent on the property. I have owned the house for 5 years. I have never heard of this before so am a little bit confused as to why this arrived out of the blue.

If anyone can shed any light I'd really appreciate it

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭furryvision

apologies, I see this is discussed below so if a mod can delete this

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

where do you live? my letter was from the same agency.

i'm on the northside in dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,183 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

not much help to you but Joe DUffy is discussing it now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,234 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

looks like the letter i received and the one this OP received is one of 'a slew' (in Joe Duffy's words) sent out this week; and the solicitor in question seems to have a habit of acquiring these, or managing them on someone else's behalf, and is applying his own cut to the fees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,512 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

I'm in Drimnagh and 900 here houses were delivered a similar letter

I don't know why they were so reluctant to name the company on liveline. It's Kenny Estates, they're name is on the letters, they have a valid address and CRO so I don't see why people are afraid to name them. A legal company of almost identical name occupy the same address and share the same director, said legal company denied sending out letters, so make of that what you will.

A lot of people who have proof of owning freehold say they also got letters. I think most people, including myself, don't know if they own the freehold. It's all very odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,588 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Some firm did a maildrop like this to my estate 7-8 years ago, every single house. They might actually represent the freehold holders for the bulk of houses that are still leasehold; but a previous owner bought mine out decades ago so its in my name - and yet I got one.

Went in the fire. But definitely check you actually do have the freehold!

Also - the arrears there suggests the ground rent is probably something along the lines of £10 a year - they absolutely won't be sending you bills every six months for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 733 ✭✭✭bbbbb

assuming this is legit, I believe the most they can look for in historic rent is the last 5 years (cant find a reference)

also its relatively cheap to buy out your ground rent

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/owning_a_home/home_owners/ground_rent.html#

I have been emailing and ringing, I got a response from Gavin Kenny who says they have evidence of owning the freehold on properties. Not sure how and when these were acquired but I'd imagine it was recently and now they are going to try and rinse everyone who was unaware of not owning freehold

Upon doing more digging on the company it seems they have some high profile clients:

https://www.irishmirror.ie/sport/ufc/conor-mcgregor-reveals-bed-solicitor-11616005.amp

"Three years ago, two Dublin solicitors, Graham Kenny and Barry Lyons, acquired some 3,500 properties leased out to tenants, ranging from outright ownership to long and short-term leases."

article dates from 2010.

https://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/the-thorny-issue-of-landlords-ground-rent-26675609.html

• Advertisement

there was at least one caller to liveline who when he checked out the actual ground rent on his property, it was approx half what the letter quoted, and when he rang the agent, they accepted that without quibble. so there may be an unstated 'handling charge'.

Advertisement