Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What TV series have you re-watched the most?

Options
  • 10-08-2021 8:30pm

For some reason I don't watch a vast number of different series, but I like to re-watch the same 3 or 4 time and again, dissect them, look for subplots and themes I missed first time around, switch on the subtitles to find out any lines I missed, try and get inside the mind of the script writer and actors to understand what they were feeling when they wrote the dialogue or delivered a specific line.

I think "The Sopranos" was probably the first major series of the last couple decades which seemed to capture the imagination of English speaking audiences the world over.

Obviously that was based largely on the performance delivered by James (RIP) Gandolfini, but also bizarre as the plot revolves around "gangster" related activities, extortion, racketeering etc., activities most civilized people find detestable IRL.

The other recent series which has been widely received as uplifting is Better Call Saul, spin off of Breaking Bad.

I don't think it was so much the primary plot of degenerate drug users, but more so a glimpse inside the lives and day to day struggles of the common man and woman and their desperate means to find stability, happiness, a sense of well being;

What TV series of the last 10 to 20 years really caught your attention and imagination, that you tend to re-watch with reasonable frequency?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'm terrible for re-watching, or replaying, anything. I'm a one and done kinda guy, but most shows or games I've really, really liked, have gotten a couple of watches. Netflix's The Witcher has gotten 2 watches, and probably a third before the second season drops. Most of the shows I really like get 2 views, but they're few and far between.

Anime is different though. I'm sure I've watched Demon Slayer about 4 times by now, Hunter x Hunter at least 5 times, and about 3 times with The Rising of the Shield Hero and My Hero Academia. Games are my worst though, even with an excellent story I'm reluctant to play them again. I've already done it once, the surprises will no longer be surprising, and I know how it ends so it doesn't seem the effort is worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

I binge watch 'The Sopranos' every year. Love it. But the most recent TV series I'm doing the same treatment to is 'Twin Peaks - The Return' AKA the third season. It's so multilayered with aspects that require the involvement of your own cognition, its very f**king cool.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

The office is worth multiple watches, the original and the US one, it's my go to when ya can't be arsed.

Have watched Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, The Wire and Oz through multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭thehairygrape

• Registered Users Posts: 85,279 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Friends

Father Ted

The IT Crowd

Misfits

I love a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Just started re watching Dexter. There is a few episodes I'll skip though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭mojesius

I watched Buffy countless times over the years. Sopranos would also be up there and early seasons of Simpsons (up until Sherry Bobbins or around that stage).

I used to rewatch Game of Thrones before the shite fest that were the last couple of seasons and don't watch it at all anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,955 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Curb your enthusiasm

Entourage

Extras

Peep show

The Inbetweeners (used to always watch it when dying with a bad hangover)

Miami Vice. Drug Lord Sonny Burnett seemed that tiny bit more smart, as a druglord than a cop.

The Sopranos, and they all get their just desserts. Sorry for Adriana, forced to wear a wire, a death sentence ultimately Wonder what would have become of Meadow, no sympathy for Tony's son AJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,435 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Yeah from season 5 onwards.

All of them episodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,280 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The Wire, Firefly and Band of Brothers are ones I probably watch every year or two. Seen Breaking Bad a few times too.

For comedies, I rewatch Taskmaster, Yhe Thick Of It, the first 3 seasons of Arrested Development, and Alan Partridge or The Office (UK).

I can easily rewatch shows I've seen before. Some like The Wire are even better on later watches because you see how all the small things begin to snowball into big things, where seemingly throwaway lines or dialogue come into play later. Stuff like Band of Brothers it can take a few episodes to properly understand which character is which and what they're like, but a rewatch you can see them develop from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I don't watch many shows a second time but I can watch The Big Bang Theory endlessly.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

It’s always sunny in Philadelphia, I keep watching it on a loop.

community

breaking bad and sopranos will be started again soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭wobert

It crowd and partridge too of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭Brid Hegarty

The Mentalist and Nip/Tuck

I'm Alan Partridge

....and the televisual feast that I have rewatched the most times has to be the 23rd episode of Noel Edmonds House Party. Not because I wanted to, but because I stayed in his country mansion one weekend and he had it on repeat on every TV in the place. A strange little man is 'our Noel'. Chris Rea says Edmonds is all beard and no substance, but I don't like to judge fellow celebrities. Or lady celebrities. Or fellow lady celebrities. The other show I have watched numerous times is of course Knowing Me, Knowing You which is available on DVD at all good pound shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Star Trek TNG

Deep Space Nine

Buffy

Angel

Babylon Five

Soemthing enjoyable with them playing on the second screen while playing a game on the first screen.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Red dwarf is top of my list.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Simpsons, The Office, Only Fools and Horses, I'm Alan Partridge

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Pronto63

Fawlty Towers - laugh out loud each and every time.

Father Ted - maybe it’s just us Irish laughing at ourselves.

Blackadder (especially season 4) - razor sharp dialogue

The West Wing - for when I’m feeling all intellectual!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Peep Show got me through lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Billions, Ray Donovan & Banshee.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Star Trek TNG seemed to just repeat on Sky One from the first to the last episode every evening at 5pm over the course of the years of the 1990s, I'd say I've seen some episodes 5 or 6 times, same with many of my friends, and we were never nerdy or anything there was just nothing else on at that time.

We still talk about it to this day and it holds a special place in my heart!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,839 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The Simpsons - so many episodes and at its zenith was brilliantly funny and entertaining.

The Sopranos - best TV drama show ever in my view. So many nuances threw each storyline and character.

Early Doors - just because it’s brilliantly hilarious and great in is simplicity.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

House. I got into it quite late, around 2012, just as the final series was airing. I was going through a difficult patch at the time, having just lost a parent to a long illness. It seems odd that I'd become hooked on a medical drama series, having spent the previous two years traipsing from one hospital department to the next. Perhaps it was the familiarity of the hospital setting. Or, more likely, it was the sharp dialogue, funny quips and insults that I found enormously satisfying. Anyway, they were re-airing the whole series on Sky Atlantic at the time, two episodes a day. It became a vital part of my daily routine. I found it on Amazon Prime recently and have been enjoying it all over again.

Black Books

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭billyhead

I don't bother with repeat viewing. Once I have watched something that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'm not usually one for re-watches but I've probably watched Band of Brothers 8 or 9 times at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭markw7

To echo most on here, The Sopranos and The Wire. Gomorrah is an excellent show as well and very re-watchable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Thunderbirds and Star Trek (original series of both) - never get tired of watching either.

Advertisement