Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lambs going back after weaning

• 09-08-2021 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭

I have ewes with lambs at foot i bought back in early May, think they were all march born. Going weaning them off the ewes now, have 4 lambs between 45 and 50 kg that i was thinking about bringing straight to the factory but im in no panic as i am low stocked and have loads of grass and was hoping the price might increase. However i am wondering would the lambs go back alot quickly after weaning and lose a few kg, and if it was the case even allowing for the chance of getting a better price i would be better bring them now.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They shouldn't lose weight,The lambs are probably getting very little milk now so won't miss the ewes, AT 45 - 50KG they're likely to be at the maximum factory weight now so you won't be paid for any more weight you put on,

If you're going to put them over 50kg you'd be better to sell in the mart or to a butcher to get paid for the extra weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭k mac

Thanks. I will probably keep them for another month so and chance the mart as i said i have plenty of grass. Only fear is they are a mixture of ewe and full ram lambs but im sure there is no chance of the rams doing any damage for a good while yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It can often destroy the ram lambs to have them ridiing and chasing the ewe lambs, they're better divided

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Had a problem here last year where ,due to circumstances with a good few different groups of sheep ,ended up with ram lambs and ewe lambs beside each other with just a wire fence between them .This would have been early October .The ram lambs spent their entire time in a group right beside the fence mounting one another .They were destroyed in muck in about 2 or 3 days and had the entire corner torn up .Had to house them as they were more interested in the ewe lambs than the creep bin .

Would always divide ewe and ram lambs at weaning as never castrate here .No issues once they are apart .

Advertisement