Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes [Hunger Games prequel]

• 09-08-2021 2:15pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

I had completely forgotten this was to be a thing; will be a prequel to the franchise, charting the life of President Snow when he was an idealistic 18-year-old. Shooting won't start 'til 2022 so no real details just yet, but obviously being based on a novel there's already a sense of what the story will look like.

Francis Lawrence to return to the director's chair; Susanne Collins to be executive producer, and write the treatment - with Michael Arndt actually writing the screenplay.

I remember being fairly cold on the sequels, even if they were broadly lauded for being anti-blockbusters. Must go back and watch, give them another shake.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,695 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk

I really enjoyed the original books, the film's were a bit up and down, the second was by far the strongest...splitting the last book into two films didn't work, bar boasting profits which was the aim I suppose.

I read the book...it wasn't great tbh...a lot of music in it bizarrely...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,598 ✭✭✭✭ silverharp

A great series of films, I dont think I have rewatched them since seeing them in the cinema, but so many scenes/images stick with me relative to a lot of other films that they obviously got a lot right

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 27,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭ pixelburp

The first part of the finale really suffered from the split more than the second, similar to the Harry Potter series really; you could tell they were desperately spinning the wheels to pad out the wait til the shít was to hit the fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,213 ✭✭✭✭ CastorTroy

I must check out the book at some point but I remember thinking the others declined in quality after the first and the last one was disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,695 ✭✭✭✭ gmisk

I see Rachel Zegler has given a huge hint on Twitter she will be starring in this, she was very good in west side story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭ Loueze

I am a huge fan of the Hunger Games trilogy - the books - not so much the movies. (Don't get me started on what the movies left out).

But, I couldn't even get through the book of the Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes. I just did not like it. I didn't care about "Coryo" or his story, and from the beginning I took an instant dislike to the female character, Lucy Gray Baird.

I won't post any spoilers, but a few fellow fans have told me all the action happens in the third part of the book - which I never made it too. I knew about the movie, but I'm kind of meh. I can't see myself heading to the cinema to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭ speedboatchase

The Hunger Games movies are one of the few franchises whose finale (both parts) were the lowest-grossing in the franchise. Also, post-Squid Game, how unique does it feel anymore? This sounds like a flop to me. Their best shot (like the new GoT series) would have been to go back hundreds of years, to the beginning of the Games and a whole new cast/trilogy. Who cares about young Donald Sutherland?

There were only 75 years of the Games in total - Book 1 (The Hunger Games) featured the 74th Games. Book 2 (Catching Fire) featured the 75th.

Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes goes back 65 years to the 10th Games, and does have a new cast of characters.

The only people I remember appearing in this book from the first trilogy (from what I read) are Snow and Tigris (who had a brief role in Mockingjay).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭ Spon Farmer

Is the Prequel novel a one book story or the start of a series?

• Advertisement

Its a one book story. I've started to re-read it. I want to get to that third part!

First teaser trailer:

I'm curious how on earth you even humanise someone like Snow - or why you'd want to in the first place (beyond the temptation of money for Suzanne Collins). I only read the first book alongside having seen the film series and never once did he betray an ounce of humanity.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes has three "parts" within the book.

I only got through the first and probably most of the second. But I'm told by a friend who has kept on at me to finish it, that the story really all comes together in the third part of the book.

It's not an attempt to humanise him. You're supposed to hate just about everything Snow does in this book. (And of what I read, I did).

It's on purpose. Everything he does is explained why but never, ever excused.

After posting I realised you must have meant that.

That is good to hear.

So he is already a bad guy.

It's complicated! But I would say yes.

If you read it, you will find some of the back story very surprising. No spoilers! 🤐

I hope the movie looks like “60 years ago”.

I don’t know exactly what that should look like but I hope the filmmakers do ;)

When the Star Wars games and comics go into the Ild Republic era it is all just a copy of the designs of the six movies.

The story is based ten years after the first rebellion that destroyed "Panem" (and led to the creation of the Hunger Games as punishment for the rebels), so the Capitol where most of this story is based, is described as still being rebuilt.

Post edited by Loueze on

• Advertisement

The answer to this may be a spoiler for some.

Snow is from a Capital family that has fallen on hard times and is chosen to mentor the tribute from District 12.

If memory serves Katniss is from District 12 and was Harrelson’s and Shue’s character. They were her mentors.

So why is a Snow a mentor?

Read the book.😉

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭ Homelander

The first movie was alright and the second was genuinely good, I just felt they made a mess of the last two movies and it somewhat killed my interest in the franchise.

I was very dissatisified with the first movie. Visually, it was great, but so much important world-building was left out or simply erased. I know they can't keep everything that is in the book, but I don't think Gary Ross did a great job with it. Francis Lawrence did a better job with the rest of the books, and I agree, Catching Fire is the best of the four movies.

In saying that, the movies are never as good as the books!

Post edited by Loueze on

My abiding memory of the first movie remains that truly bizarre moment where we discover Peeta, hiding by somehow expertly painting his face and body as a camouflage using his elite cake decorating skills.

Oh god yes. That was cringey and launched dozens of memes!

Imagine, they chose to put that in, but omitted the fact that Peeta lost his leg in the first arena.

Advertisement