Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mechanics Opinion really appreciated

Options
  • 06-08-2021 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Had a rattle in my engine on startup for a couple of seconds each time, recently.

Was getting car serviced and mentioned it to get it checked.

It's a 2016 1.6 diesel Astra. So what they told me it's a timing chain guide failing.

Not to continue to drive it and needs to be replaced. Sound says I how much.

Well it's an eye watering 4 figure sum.

Any experienced mechanics come across this work and have an idea of price I

should be looking at?

Thanks

GP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

How eye watering was the figure ?

If it's just a shade over 1K then yeah it's probably about right. It does sound like a timing chain issue or guide issue, either way not good to be driving the car and it can get an awful lot worse if not taken care off.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,441 ✭✭✭✭kippy

As a matter of interest how much mileage is on it? 5 years doesn't sound like a long time for a part like this to last.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The last time we did one of these it was around 2600 -The chain is in the centre of the engine and the only way to do it is to remove the engine, split it down the middle and fit the new chain.

If its only on start up what Id suggest is more frequent oil changes - every 10k or so which while it wont eradicate the noise will stop it from getting any worse. The chain issue is directly related to the cars servicing history - wrong oil or non genuine oil filters collapsing under oil pressure - Ive seen this myself. You take the oil filter out an it looks like an accordion...doesnt happen with the genuine or OE filters.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

completely different engine, 1.2TSi petrol from a 2012 skoda - but i've had an intermittent rattle on cold start for several years. how long it lasts has stayed consistent - it has never lasted longer than maybe two seconds, and the mechanics i've talked to said that usually the timing chain issue is progressive, that the rattle will last longer the worse it gets. so one possible theory is that it's just brief oil starvation (this is where the difference in engine is key - it's a really light oil in these engines so it drains away more quickly from what it should be coating. i'm not 100% convinced by that tbf).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

The 1.2tsi in the Skoda has a known issue with stretching timing chains. Not sure if it’s related to the tensioner itself or just poor chains. We suffered from it ourselves with our old car unfortunately (replaced under warranty, and then got shot when it started to resurface a few years later)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

in my car there is an argument that it is related to the oil - i had it serviced maybe 4 months ago and don't recall hearing a rattle since. fingers crossed, anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,880 ✭✭✭patrickc

My wife has this engine and rattle too, have a look here its a common fault with this astra k 1.6 engine.

https://www.astrakforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5643

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭FaganJr

Thanks for the feedback

Think I will book it in and get the work done, was going to trade it in, but I already bought another car this year

so cant justify another purchase for what is a run around car.

Advertisement