Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Meter and Home Assistant

Options
  • 05-08-2021 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Hi

I use Home Assistant to control things such as my lights, Thermostats and other things.

Home Assistant received an update which includes a Energy Management component (2021.8).

To utilize this there is two products one which utilizes the P1 port and the other for systems that do not have a P1 port.

Presently we have the anaolg meter.

Does the smart meter have a P1 port ?

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 361 Verified rep Electric Ireland: Aoife

Hi there,

Thank you for getting in touch.

ESB Networks are installing these meters for all suppliers. They may be able to help you with a technical question like this. Their contact number is 1800 372 757 or you can email on esbnetworks@esb.ie.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Kind Regards,

Aoife

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭mrbubbles

ESB recently upgraded our meter - the model they installed was a Kamstrup 8660 which, as far as I can see, doesn't have a P1 port.

For power monitoring, I've been using a Shelly 3EM which is overkill on a single-phase system (but I liked the DIN format). However, I haven't yet investigated if/how this will work with the new HA Energy Management component...

Hope that's useful and let me know how you get on 😊

Sorry, just to add to my earlier message...

I found this, which specifically relates to Kamstrup meters installed in Norway:

Smart meters use two networks for communication: the one for communicating with other devices inside of a house is called Home Area Network (HAN), the other one for Grid Access Provider is called Wide Area Network (WAN). By default all HAN ports are closed on installation, but the End User can ask the Provider to open them, in order to access information about their own electricity consumption.

As well as unlocking the HAN port, it looks like you'd also need to purchase a HAN module (around €100) which fits into that slot at the top

I've written to ESB to ask about unlocking the port and whether they're able to supply the modules. I suspect I know the answer to both questions but I'll update this thread once I hear back.

Finally received a reply from ESB:

ESB Networks does not provide this. Some suppliers do offer a unit from time to time, so it may be worth contacting your supplier directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Do any of the ROI smart electricity meters allow local access, or will any data have to be collected from a cloud service? Are any of the ROI electricity providers exposing any of this data to consumers yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,525 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I'd find it hard to see them being able to justify refusing access to one's own data.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I've a smart plan with EI, and they allow you to download your data in CSV format from your online account page.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Capt. Insano

Very interested in this.

There is an interesting project based on the same meter using an ESP8266 to publish the data to MQTT.

I cannot post links but Google:

"Using ESP8266 to monitor Kamstrup Omnipower" and you should find it.

The "HAN" port on my meter has a tamper seal on it, is it an offence to remove the seal?

• Talk-To PM Accounts Posts: 16 Electric Ireland Reps

Hi Capt. Insano,

Thank you for getting in touch.

it is illegal to tamper with a meter.

ESB Networks maintain the electricity network for all electricity suppliers. We recommend contacting ESB Networks directly if you wish to ask them about the tamper seal. Their contact number is 1800 372 757 for geneeral queries and their email is esbnetworks@esb.ie.

Kind regards,

Aoife

So, just to clarify, Aoife - you're saying that we would need to speak to ESB about getting a P1 port unlocked?

But ESB have said that we would need to contact our supplier directly (which sounds like they mean Electric Ireland) as they can't help...?

🙄

• Advertisement
Advertisement