Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lagavulin

Options
  • 04-08-2021 7:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'm hoping you can help me! My boyfriend is a big Parks and Rec fan and a loves whiskey so I thought the new Nick Offerman Guinness Lagavulin whiskey would be a good birthday present but I'm really struggling to find a way of getting it in Ireland. So I was just going to get a Lagavulin but I was wondering if you good folks knew where to get one in Ireland. And if you have any recommendations of which one to get, it would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Thanks very much! He likes smokey whiskey (or should that be scotch - I'm a wine/cocktails kind of girl so I'm a bit lost with this kind of thing) so that should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

If you’re near the border then have a look in Asda or Sainsbury’s who sometimes have it. Sainsbury’s have a special on Laphroaig 10 at the minute (which is smoky/peaty) for £28 (€33). The same whisky is €63 in Celtic Whiskey Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

I agree with Northern Ireland and prices if it possible for you. In Edinburgh at present for a few days..posted here a while back asking for advice..so much choice here the mind boggles..lucky we have the car so can take a good few bottles home..

I will take a look in northern Ireland, thanks for the tip

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I've just seen this thread now.

I was lucky enough to get a Nick Offerman edition Lagavulin, but a friend sourced it in the UK for me as a gift. It's quite pricey, but perhaps you're aware.

If you do want to spend a similar amount of money then Martins off licence in Fairview has a Lagavulin cask strength 2019 special edition that is €155. That would be a little less than what the Offerman edition would set you back.

Drinkstore also has a 12 year old Cask Strength for €150 at the moment.

If you want to spend less then the 8, 10, 16 year olds would also fine, as would the Distiller's Edition or the Game of Thrones edition. Basically, any of them!

Since your boyfriend is a Parks and Recreation fan I probably would stick with Lagavulin rather than opting for a different Islay whisky, the gift might lose the same meaning.

@Black Sheep Thanks very much, that's amazing! Is there any that you would particularly recommend? I'm afraid I'm not much of a whiskey person (he gets me to taste them and will say it particularly smokey or peaty or something like that but I can only taste that it's whiskey) but he does appreciate those different flavours

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

Well, if he has had Lagavulin before then it's likely he's had the 16 year old, which is their classic offering and relatively easily acquired. It's still a smashing whisky and contributed to the widespread name recognition and popularity that Lagavulin enjoys.

If you want to get something he's less likely to have had then either of the cask strength offerings would tick that box, although they're quite expensive.

If you want to spend less then your options will be limited to whatever you can find that's in stock.

Castle Off Licence in Tralee (Nutsaboutwine.ie) has an 8 year old in stock for 90 euro, I think that's not a bad price (It's often priced higher than the 16).

As I said before, there are a lot of other good Islay whiskies that he might enjoy, but they don't have the connection to the TV show.

Thanks very much, I really appreciate the advice

Advertisement