Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to iBox

Options
  • 03-08-2021 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭

Hi, I have had iBox (as recommended here last time I posted this question) for the last year or so. I'm just on the €3 pm /10 channel plan - I really just need Channel 4 for the Formula 1. Problem is it's not very reliable.

Is there anything else out there for the sub €10/15 pm price? Does Amazon have TV stations?

My current setup is I have Netflix/YouTube/iBox apps on my android tablet and I cast to Chromecast, so looking to do the same.

TIA!

PS Vodafone is out, not available for me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,578 ✭✭✭SteM

Do you have the new Chromecast with Google TV or the older black coloured one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭MrCostington

The black round one, c 3 years old. Why? I'd not be against a once off purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

As much as I hate sky and don't watch much sport, I subscribe to Sky Now TV Sports service @ €39 a month after the first 3 months. I only get it for F1 and it's a wack to pay for just one program. Might try iBox. But maybe try NowTV. €19.50 for the first 3 months, no contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

You mention that you want Channel 4. Note that the All 4 player which carries Channel 4 and it's sister channels is not available as an app on the latest version of Chromecast with Google TV. It's strange - because it was supported on the legacy version. You can, of course cast from the screen of a phone or tablet - but then you don't have the advantages of running the app directly on Chromecast.

Probably the best platform to run all the streaming apps is Apple TV 4K+. You can run Netflix, Amazon Prime, RTE Player, Apple, Disney etc all one the one small box. If you subscribe to Eir TV within a Broadband bundle, they will also give you the Eir TV app with all the regular broadcast channels - RTE, BBC, Channel 4 etc for €9.99 per month, and they give you the Apple TV 4K box.

Thanks but I cannot justify €39 for just the F1 (and I might be tempted to spend more time in front of the box lol). I assume the NowTV goes up after 3 months, that have €39 crossed out so assume it's that price?

• Advertisement

Thank but unfortunately I don't have Eir BB and can't get it as no landline.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

It's €19.50 for the first three months, going up to €39 there after per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

You could try filmon.com or tvplayer.com

They are subscription based and both have channel 4 in HD.

There should also be apps available for both of them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

Plus, as its contract free if you can live with 19.50 its probably worth a punt if no other alternative works for you. When you go to cancel if you give as the reason its too expensive they sometimes offer you a reduced rate for another few months. Alternatively let it lapse and see if there are any half price deals doing the rounds at that point (they dont seem to exclude you even if you availed of one before).

Thanks, I just checked tvplayer no longer have C4

"From 25 July, Channel 4, Film4, More4 and 4Seven will no longer be available on TVPlayer."

I'll think about filmon, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭blindsider

iBox have had billing problems again - haven't billed me since January, and now they want the ful payment.

I empathise with a small company trying to make a living, but not having a decent billing system and oversight thereof is poor. I should (perhaps) have spotted the lack of outgoing monthly payments, but at best mine was oversight - their error is pure negligence....

I agree, iBox would be just perfect for me.. if it worked. Must check my billing then!

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Anybody know if ibox is gone or what their story is? Tried emailing them but haven't heard anything back. Also tried signing up to get a trial but can't seem to. Have downloaded .it to the firestick tried logging in and get the message "Login ok, but account inactive: Unable to login".

Any experts here able to shed light on this? TIA!

It was working (sort of, hence my post here) upto about 2 weeks ago when I canceled it.

Anyway, I went with hoolatv.com, E6 pm for 60 channels (most of which dont seem to work, but has C4)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Leonita

Does it have the Irish channels as well? Can't see them there but only having a quick glance

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭bill66

Mod Edit;

post is against charter and has been deleted.

other forums on Boards have different charters and what is allowable on one may not be allowed elsewhere.

Post edited by icdg on

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,529 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

OK, sorry. I had been letting this thread go, because the question of whether these services have permission to carry these channels is in question. However the above post has stepped definitely over the line. There’s absolutely no discussion of circumventing regional restrictions here.

Thread closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement