Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Cattle Trailers

• 02-08-2021 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30 stephenmc16

Hi,

Does anyone know how much a 10 x 6 cattle trailer roughly cost new and any recommendations. Ifor Williams, nugent, tuffmac? No decks

Any better than another?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭ Wildly Boaring

Post in here I'd say

https://www.boards.ie/categories/farming-forestry

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭ funkey_monkey

Wait times on some brands is quite long at the minute due to Covid/Brexit.

IW reputation has dipped a bit over the years as their trailers seem to be getting lighter. Porter seems to be the strongest and Nugent get good reviews too - although i have seen some complaints on other forums about the finish on some of them.

Here is a price list for IW - is might be a bit dated, but is a good guide: livestockpl.pdf (barlowtrailers.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

A lot of tuffmac around here, They seem to be proving themselves well..... they were good value one time, don't know if they're that much cheaper now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭ Bass Reeves

I think pre COVID a tuffmac 10X6 was less than 5K not sure what price now most of the rest are 6K+

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭ have2flushtwice

Trailer prices gone mad as with jeeps.

Lad passing through here this evening wanted to buy my old pajero.

Looking for a plant trailer since Xmas and the prices going one way. Any trailer dealers around athlone have prices through the roof. 6k for twin axle 9 x 5.

• Advertisement

I seen a Falcon in the flesh for first time at a mart recently. Nicely finished trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭ kevthegaff

Bought a Murphy 10.6× 6 I think around 5600 3 years ago, said I'd have it for life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭ jimmy G M

A different size but for comparison we've just bought a new Ifor Williams 5.10 x 12 @ €7,700 straight deal. Includes front flap, no sheep decks. Nugent aprox €7,400.

We went with Ifor as they seem to have a better resale value. We sold the previous one, (same size) @ €4,200, 9 years old in good condition, but has a reasonable bit of work done. Thats €366 per year to replace. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭ DukeCaboom

Bought a brand new nugent 12 ft tri axle. Dream to pull compared to the ifor W, would never go back. Bought it straight for 7800. I ordered it in Sept got it 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭ Grueller

I have a tuffmac here. A seriously well built box and made to take abuse, but it is a heavy yoke to pull, even empty. I bought 2 1/2 years ago for €5,000 straight deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭ Hard Knocks

There’s a massive difference in pulling a triaxel compared to a double

I’d prefer to pull a 14ft T over a 10Ft D

Less bounce, just glides behind the jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 10,072 ✭✭✭✭ wrangler

They should all glide behind the jeep, most problems are due to the drawbar being too low and not enough weight coming on it. it can make a huge difference to lift it an inch. A neighbour phoned me one day and I could hear the vibration in his voice , he was coming from Kildare with an empty 14ft triaxle livestock trailer, I told him to raise the drawbar on the jeep. He say's it's like a different trailer now even though the road from Kildare to here is a terrible road

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ French Toast

Murphy's here. Seemingly a very well built box. Have looked at a neighbours TuffMac and they also seem solid. Wouldn't go far wrong with either I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭ Jim Simmental

Recently purchased a new trailer - I have been trying to keep it right as I want this one to see me out - I have been power washing it out after every use - purchased some cattle recently in the mart and had a awful job getting them to go up the shiney new ramp - I suppose there really is no need to be washing the trailer after every use ? As it does leave stock very hard to load …does the slurry effect the lifespan of the trailer if it’s not washed out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭ Base price

I would wash it out after every use if possible cause the slurry/shite could be sitting in it for months which over time will affect the aluminium and gets into joints etc. If I'm bringing calves I will bed the trailer with straw but sometimes I use a dusting of shavings for cows/calves and runners. You can kick some onto the ramp to help load them and it's easy to clean out. If it has a built in slurry tank then don't use any bedding unless you cover the slats area with a sheet of rubber matting/cubicle mat.

I would always wash too, but they do load handier up a dirty trailer. Sometimes think it is the shiny surface and noise that puts them off and a rubber floor would encourage them better. Other times I think the familiar smell of other animals encourage them on.

The trailer will dull down over time, but if you're having trouble I'd just throw down a bucket of sawdust. A forcing gate behind them will also help them load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭ Cavanjack

Wash the trailer out here when the sh1t starts flowing out of it or when I know I’m finished with it for a few weeks. Go to 1 or 2 marts a week this time of year and the same in the spring along with moving cattle between yard and out farm.

Advertisement