Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cattle Trailers

Options
  • 02-08-2021 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi,

Does anyone know how much a 10 x 6 cattle trailer roughly cost new and any recommendations. Ifor Williams, nugent, tuffmac? No decks

Any better than another?

Thanks in advance

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Post in here I'd say

https://www.boards.ie/categories/farming-forestry

• Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Wait times on some brands is quite long at the minute due to Covid/Brexit.

IW reputation has dipped a bit over the years as their trailers seem to be getting lighter. Porter seems to be the strongest and Nugent get good reviews too - although i have seen some complaints on other forums about the finish on some of them.

Here is a price list for IW - is might be a bit dated, but is a good guide: livestockpl.pdf (barlowtrailers.co.uk)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A lot of tuffmac around here, They seem to be proving themselves well..... they were good value one time, don't know if they're that much cheaper now

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think pre COVID a tuffmac 10X6 was less than 5K not sure what price now most of the rest are 6K+

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

Trailer prices gone mad as with jeeps.

Lad passing through here this evening wanted to buy my old pajero.

Looking for a plant trailer since Xmas and the prices going one way. Any trailer dealers around athlone have prices through the roof. 6k for twin axle 9 x 5.

• Advertisement

I seen a Falcon in the flesh for first time at a mart recently. Nicely finished trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,877 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Bought a Murphy 10.6× 6 I think around 5600 3 years ago, said I'd have it for life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

A different size but for comparison we've just bought a new Ifor Williams 5.10 x 12 @ €7,700 straight deal. Includes front flap, no sheep decks. Nugent aprox €7,400.

We went with Ifor as they seem to have a better resale value. We sold the previous one, (same size) @ €4,200, 9 years old in good condition, but has a reasonable bit of work done. Thats €366 per year to replace. Happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Bought a brand new nugent 12 ft tri axle. Dream to pull compared to the ifor W, would never go back. Bought it straight for 7800. I ordered it in Sept got it 6 weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have a tuffmac here. A seriously well built box and made to take abuse, but it is a heavy yoke to pull, even empty. I bought 2 1/2 years ago for €5,000 straight deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,921 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

There’s a massive difference in pulling a triaxel compared to a double

I’d prefer to pull a 14ft T over a 10Ft D

Less bounce, just glides behind the jeep

• Registered Users Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They should all glide behind the jeep, most problems are due to the drawbar being too low and not enough weight coming on it. it can make a huge difference to lift it an inch. A neighbour phoned me one day and I could hear the vibration in his voice , he was coming from Kildare with an empty 14ft triaxle livestock trailer, I told him to raise the drawbar on the jeep. He say's it's like a different trailer now even though the road from Kildare to here is a terrible road

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

Murphy's here. Seemingly a very well built box. Have looked at a neighbours TuffMac and they also seem solid. Wouldn't go far wrong with either I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭Jim Simmental

Recently purchased a new trailer - I have been trying to keep it right as I want this one to see me out - I have been power washing it out after every use - purchased some cattle recently in the mart and had a awful job getting them to go up the shiney new ramp - I suppose there really is no need to be washing the trailer after every use ? As it does leave stock very hard to load …does the slurry effect the lifespan of the trailer if it’s not washed out ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I would wash it out after every use if possible cause the slurry/shite could be sitting in it for months which over time will affect the aluminium and gets into joints etc. If I'm bringing calves I will bed the trailer with straw but sometimes I use a dusting of shavings for cows/calves and runners. You can kick some onto the ramp to help load them and it's easy to clean out. If it has a built in slurry tank then don't use any bedding unless you cover the slats area with a sheet of rubber matting/cubicle mat.

I would always wash too, but they do load handier up a dirty trailer. Sometimes think it is the shiny surface and noise that puts them off and a rubber floor would encourage them better. Other times I think the familiar smell of other animals encourage them on.

The trailer will dull down over time, but if you're having trouble I'd just throw down a bucket of sawdust. A forcing gate behind them will also help them load.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Wash the trailer out here when the sh1t starts flowing out of it or when I know I’m finished with it for a few weeks. Go to 1 or 2 marts a week this time of year and the same in the spring along with moving cattle between yard and out farm.

Advertisement