Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coming from a ps4 slim, series s or X?

Options
  • 29-07-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,354 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I currently have a ps4 slim. It's served me well, but I have to admit that I'm not a major gamer. I enjoy games like gta, rdr2, those types.

I've been thinking of aiming to get a new console, and would like to switch to xbox. The game pass service strikes me as very appealing.

What I'm wondering is if I should aim for a series s or X. Obviously the x is way more expensive, so I minded to try and get an s, but I'd be annoyed if there wasn't a noticeable improvement to video quality over the ps4.

What do people think/say? Any advice is appreciated. I've checked reviews/etc, but nearly all refer to comparisons either between the ps4 Pro and xbox series s or X or else it's between the s and x. I'm interested specifically about ps4 slim comparisons...

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

There won't be a massive upgrade in visual quality with the S, but there will be a massive quality upgrade in terms of "feel". Most of the games will run at 60fps, load times drastically reduced, and everything will just feel a bit better. Hard to describe the upgrade in some ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I went from a PS4 Pro to an X, it's a huge upgrade. If you can justify the X in terms of cost I'd say go for it. I'm super impressed with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,604 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Also, very, very quiet. Both models. Like I can't believe it's on quiet :)

Make sure you avail of the Gold upgrade to GamePass ultimate offer. You can get up to 3 years for about 120 quid. Hope it's still available. Note: the Rockstar games you mentioned are only on GamePass for a few months. So, don't assume you'll have GTA5 or RDR2. Males sure the games you want are on Xbox and GamePass before jumping from PS too. It looks like it's going to get a lot better with first party games on from day one...

I second going for an X.

The X is actually better value if you can stretch to it. 4K, up to 120 FPS. Twice the expensive fast storage. And better performance overall. It'll just be better future proofing. 4K 60 FPS games are lovely. You'll not have this on an S. Any there are quite a few of them now ... With older games being upgraded for free too. RDR2 looks beautiful in 4K (30 FPS). I'm playing Skyrim at the moment in 4K 60 FPS. Looking forward to the free upgrade to witcher 3 too ...

Have a look at video comparisons of games on X Vs S on Digital Foundry YouTube channel on 4k TV or monitor.

Post edited by SuperBowserWorld on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

+1 on Series X.

I don’t know what kind of games you play but games are huge and the Series S 500GB hard drive means you have 364GB of useable space.

Like I think Call of Duty Black Ops is almost 150Gb alone on my Series X.

the cost of expanded storage is eye watering. So unless you’ve got mega speed internet and don’t mind deleting and redownloading games, the double the storage of the series x is worth it over the series S (never mind the other benefits).

Advertisement