Just looking for some insight.
Have received a job offer from a very large multinational. The offer has been made over the phone and a follow up email stating that I am the successful candidate, starting salary, starting date and advising contract will follow. I would need to hand in my resignation now to fulfil my notice period. The HR recruiter tells me that the email offer is legally binding and I can go ahead and hand in my resignation as the contract can take some days based on priority etc.
What do people think??
Until you have the actual contract in your hands do nothing. It's up to the HR recruiter to get their act together and put the contract in you hands, waiting a couple of days should not matter and if it does then, they not you need to get it together.
Is the HR recruiter internal to the company or external?
Either way I'd echo the poster above and tell them you're more comfortable waiting for the contract, that's what most people would do also I'd imagine
Recruiter is internal and the contracts setup is handled by another internal department.
Wait until you have the contract in writing, then you can hand in your notice, also that couple of days can turn into weeks. Like you I had a job offer, confirmed start date and salary agreed, but, nothing in writing, was told the contract would be with me within a week, never came and job offer eventually fell through, luckily I hadn't handed in my notice so while I was pissed off, my employer was none the wiser, but, I learned the lesson to get things in writing as you never know how offer could be pulled
Above is scaremongering.
The email, once you know is genuine, is defacto an uttered contract.
I'd only be concerned if it was a small company that does not care for their reputation, but it is an internal dept of a large multinational, so it's as safe as can be.
Too many people only look for negatives and that can mean missed opportunities.
If you are happy with the detail I'd have no problem handing in my notice.
People that think having a contract guarantees security are wrong. Look at any contract you receive, the company can terminate with a month's max notice for the first year at least.
I’m in love with him and I feel fine.
While I'd agree that as it's a large multinational, the email offer is pretty much guaranteed, but, what opportunity will they miss out on by waiting a few days or a week to hand in their notice until they get contract in writing. It's fairly common to come to an agreement to finish up early in order to not miss out on a new job, in general employers will not force an employee to work the full notice if it means they miss out on their new start date, also not uncommon to push back the start date if your old employer is being unreasonable about working out your notice in full.
That's entering the catastrophe syndrome arena. Sure "what if" you got knocked down crossing the road? And as posted above, you can have a contract, but they still can decide to let you go without reason and with very little notice.
Life is all about taking risks and it is for you to judge with your own knowledge which risks have little risk and which are the bigger risks and what your risk appetite is.
Absolutely do not hand in your notice until you have the new contract.
Yes, the email confirmation of job offer and salary etc is fine in that they are unlikely to rescind the job offer, but there could be some other terms and conditions in the contract that you are unhappy with which would make you turn down the job.
Never accept a job on the spot. Always take a day or two once you have the written contract to decide what you are going to do.
Not just in your hands, signed and returned.
I had this exact issue - was given a verbal and email offer, but never got the contract.
Gave notice (was my second job, so what did I know?), however, was then told the offer was rescinded as the role was going to be changed.
Ended up fine, but only because the people who interviewed me and made the 'offer' sorted something so I had somewhere to go after my notice was up.
Wait until you've inked the contract.
In some cases, multinationals can be far worse than small companies. In a small company, the person writing the email and sending the contract is often the same person (or at least in the same room). In a multinational, there's a whole host of policies that have to be followed to the letter before a contract is formally issued by HR. The team lead and line manager may have been conducting the direct contacting of the hiring process, but accounts have to sign off on the budget, HR have to sign off on the final contract, the department head has to confirm... The person sending the email may have all these done, but they may not (and may not even know there are things still to do). If the contract has been issued, you can be reasonably certain everything has been sorted
Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using post-migration Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, and a dark mode setting)
'Wait until you've inked the contract.'
You get the contract in the post, you hand in your notice. What security does this give you in the next 7 / 30 days if the company you intend going to rescind the offer as the role is going to be changed?
Being a bit pedantic but a lot of companies use DocuSign or something similar now, so could be done electronically, but wait until then.
The OP has not even seen the terms of the contract never mind knowing if they are acceptable to them. Very poor advice.