Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Not allowed holidays

• 28-07-2021 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hey guys,i just started temping on a short term contract of 11 weeks until end of September, I was planning to go away to Spain for a week end of august as my cousin is coming from Boston to go away with me. we had a meeting yesterday and were told that we are not allowed take any annual leave at all due to it being busy. Do I have any hope of getting this week away? I just feel I should Have been told this before starting the job as I had this plan for a long time

Comments

On the contrary, you should have informed the company of any planned holidays and clarified the rules about taking leave

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Do you feel the company could be a potential source of future employment? Are you counting on getting a reference from them?

If no to both of the above why not just leave and go on the holidays? You'll only miss the last 4 weeks...

Like Niner said, if it's been planned for a long time, you should have brought it up with the company at the start. Ideally, at the interview stage.

You're entitled to time off or pay in lieu, but you're not entitled to take it whenever you like. Most companies request as much advance notice as possible, and it's now less than a month away from your trip. You're not giving them much time to plan around you.

That said, all hope is not lost. You can still ask. I would advise you do so discreetly and apologetically. I'd also advise you have a read of your contract, and if available your employee handbook/HR leave policy to make sure you go into any discussion properly informed.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You're a temp on a short term contract: you're there to cover a need, not to swan off on holidays. You shouldn't have accepted the contract if you knew you couldn't fulfil it.

You won't be entitled to a full week of annual leave by the end of August. Do you mean unpaid leave?

If so, its at the company's discretion if they allow you take unpaid leave, but I can't see them allowing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Given the circumstances of your employment there, it’s something that would have been wise to tell them at interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭POBox19

"Hey guys,i just started temping on a short term contract of 11 weeks until end of September, I was planning to go away to Spain for a week end of august as my cousin is coming from Boston to go away with me. we had a meeting yesterday and were told that we are not allowed take any annual leave at all due to it being busy. Do I have any hope of getting this week away? I just feel I should Have been told this before starting the job as I had this plan for a long time"

So you knew about this plan for a long time before starting the job, but failed to tell them something that may have influenced their decision to employ you. They're busy which is why you got the contract. Any business would expect a temp to complete the term and not to be asking for mid-contract holidays a few days after starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tails142

Tell them two weeks before that you're heading off on holidays and if they don't like it you can hand in notice or they can sack you, leave it up to them, you don't have any decision to make, it's a non-negotiable from your point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bloody hell do not do this.

You need to address this now with your manager to get the conversation rolling as early as possible. Ideally you would have told them before taking the offer or directly aftwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I think your post is incredibly selfish. They took you on for an 11 week period. You presumably signed a contract for the 11 week period. Now you want to spring it on them you had a holiday planned all along and you don't want to do it.

You were brought in to do a specific job, in a specific time frame. You are taking the mickey even trying this crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Wow, you are employed for 11 weeks and you want a week off to go on your hollybops in the middle of it?

Seriously?

Why did you take the job if you knew this was planned? You should have said same during the interview process, but I guess you knew you wouldn't get the job if you did.

I doubt a temp job of 11 weeks can afford to let you off for a week even unpaid.

Post edited by airy fairy on

I agree. I cannot work out if the attitude is arrogance or just stupidity. Harsh words perhaps but appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marymoore

my Contract which the agency gave me said I could take annual leave as I accrued it. So it was a surprise to hear I can’t take any.. I hadn’t been told this before

Maybe I could suggest working weekends to make up the hours?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't have accrued enough by the end of August to begin with - won't even be two days.

Annual Leave is calculated in a few ways, its not accrued in advance, but is based on hours already worked.

See this info from Citizens Information on how to calculate your Annual Leave entitlement.

Annual leave (citizensinformation.ie)

When you can take the leave you have accrued is ultimately at the discretion of the employer.

If they are seriously busy they can refuse to approve any annual leave requests for a period of time.

If you don't get to take what you accrue by the time your contract ends, they'll have to pay you for it.

You have to earn the leave. Then you request a particular date for holidays. It has to be approved.

An 11 week contract does not allow this. If I tell you I need someone to work until end of next month, and you say fine. You cannot turn around in two weeks saying I'm going on holiday August 15th.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭James2020App

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Quit with a weeks notice. 11 week contract through a temp agency; there's no relationship.

Don't do this if there's a proper job for you there etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Quit with a weeks notice. 11 week contract through a temp agency; there's no relationship.

Don't do this if there's a proper job for you there etc.

Thanks Marie,

the issue is that I don’t know right now if there’s a possibility of being kept on. Obviously some temps are kept and made permanent. Hard to know cos they don’t tell us.. what would be the best holiday excuse? Like can they refuse a wedding?

I was hoping for a reference from them at the end..

You need good relations for a reference. Trying to do what you are saying will seriously sour their opinion of you. You are entitled to a reference, but you may not get what you want. "Mary worked here for 11 weeks on a temp contract, then claimed holidays in the middle of it, her performance was satisfactory"

I have seen it done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Ah you're loosing the run of yourself now!

Not alone do you want to take a weeks holidays, you want to make up a good excuse to go there like a wedding or something?

And you expect a reference for a few weeks?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,554 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They can refuse anything. And if you call in uncertified sick when you've been refused it is exceptionally likely to lead to the job ceasing.

Your due probably 4.5 days at the end of your 11 weeks. That's at the end of your 11 weeks as well if that's the employers wish.

Is it not in my rights to get 1 week holiday after working 11 weeks… surely I’m entitled to holidays…

and I’m sure you can get a reference even on short contracts..

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,987 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

If your contract is with an agency, then it is up to them to sort this out. If they told you, you could take annual leave and then turned around and contracted with the client company to supply a body for the full 11 weeks, then that is their problem, take it up with them. Don't put yourself in a situation where you are 'piggy in the middle' between them.

FYI I was told by agency I could take holidays

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

No harm to try this, if it's possible, at least your employer will see that you are trying to come up with a solution, if you have the time worked up before hand, they may try to accommodate you, but, tbh, it's hard to expect to get a full week off when the contract is only for 11 weeks.

Advertisement