Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Helmet- MIPS yeah or nay?

• 28-07-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If buying a new helmet would you go for one with MIPS or not & why?

Cheers,

Pa.

(I was going to add a poll but can't see that feature anymore).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

i got 2 mips helmets a giro cinder it has a clear plastic shell inside which basically stops the airflow (even though it has holes in it

got a giro aether this year which has mips basically built in and its no different to a normal helmet except the bottom of moves (you have to see it !)

so the cinder is fine if its not too warm

the aether has been a godsend in the heatwave !

i mips any better ? well im not planning to test it !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i bought a MIPS helmet simply because the only one i could find which was a good fit was a MIPS one.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭ARX

In these ratings from Virginia Tech, most of the more highly-rated helmets are MIPS (maybe they're highly-rated because they have MIPS, not as a consequence of having MIPS, I don't know): https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,261 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Like MB, I've a MIPS helmet simply because the helmet I wanted was MIPS. It wouldn't really be a selling point for me because a helmet itself makes such a marginal difference, any small improvement in the helmet itself is probably going to be statistically insignificant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,973 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i suspect in order to make a helmet MIPS compliant is a reasonably significant cost, so there's no point in fitting it in a cheap helmet - so as a result, they only fit MIPS to already higher quality helmets.

the acid test would be to see if any manufacturers produce a helmet that is available as MIPS or non-MIPS, and what the difference in rating is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,087 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Many helmets come in MIPS and non MIPS versions, normally about €20 difference. No idea on the difference in ratings though.

Bought this https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=146422

It was a bell I got too last year, and also the only helmet I could find ten years earlier when I was last looking too, which also was a comfortable fit.

Advertisement