Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Helmet- MIPS yeah or nay?

• 28-07-2021 2:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭ dinneenp

Hi,

If buying a new helmet would you go for one with MIPS or not & why?

Cheers,

Pa.

(I was going to add a poll but can't see that feature anymore).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 13,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭ ednwireland

i got 2 mips helmets a giro cinder it has a clear plastic shell inside which basically stops the airflow (even though it has holes in it

got a giro aether this year which has mips basically built in and its no different to a normal helmet except the bottom of moves (you have to see it !)

so the cinder is fine if its not too warm

the aether has been a godsend in the heatwave !

i mips any better ? well im not planning to test it !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,311 Mod ✭✭✭✭ magicbastarder

i bought a MIPS helmet simply because the only one i could find which was a good fit was a MIPS one.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭ ARX

In these ratings from Virginia Tech, most of the more highly-rated helmets are MIPS (maybe they're highly-rated because they have MIPS, not as a consequence of having MIPS, I don't know): https://www.helmet.beam.vt.edu/bicycle-helmet-ratings.html

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 23,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Chips Lovell

Like MB, I've a MIPS helmet simply because the helmet I wanted was MIPS. It wouldn't really be a selling point for me because a helmet itself makes such a marginal difference, any small improvement in the helmet itself is probably going to be statistically insignificant.

i suspect in order to make a helmet MIPS compliant is a reasonably significant cost, so there's no point in fitting it in a cheap helmet - so as a result, they only fit MIPS to already higher quality helmets.

the acid test would be to see if any manufacturers produce a helmet that is available as MIPS or non-MIPS, and what the difference in rating is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭ dinneenp

Many helmets come in MIPS and non MIPS versions, normally about €20 difference. No idea on the difference in ratings though.

Bought this https://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=146422

It was a bell I got too last year, and also the only helmet I could find ten years earlier when I was last looking too, which also was a comfortable fit.

Advertisement