Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,333 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Not all of us are going to have the same mentality as the players. A player is going to have utter belief in themselves and the team, or else they probably wouldn't have made it that far in the first place. But it's not the strangest thing in the world for supporters to see things differently from players. It wouldn't make for a good build up if we were all just convinced of a win every time we play, no questions asked.

I don't think anyone is being overly pessimistic either. The injuries are there to be seen, it's a challenge that we have. The most pessimistic I got was saying that Monaghan are a big price to win, and they are imo. That's not saying we're going to lose, it's just saying that the bookies may have got it slightly wrong, everything considered.

No real fan wants us to lose.... But if the season was to end short, it would be the first time in a long time when we've had a good break. A good break might be of real benefit, and if it was to happen, we'll absolutely win Sam in 2023 then, no questions asked. 😉

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,353 ✭✭✭naughto

I'd take a loss on sat if it ment a change in management ,yes I no who do we replace horan with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,433 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

In order of preference

Rochford

McGuinness

Would you not think Dempsey should/ could be in the running? I know a bit, but not enough, to be saying one way or another but he has done a great job with Knockmore imo, head and shoulders above most in terms of style of play and building a strong management team around him.

Probably not the talk for the week running up to a game.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

Rochford's time in Donegal wouldn't inspire much confidence for me. Pretty much every criticism of Mayo in the Galway game could be levelled at Donegal to an even greater extent last Sunday.

Jim McGuiness hasn't managed a Gaelic football team since 2014. I'd be skeptical of what he could do. Rumours that he was involved with the Waterford hurlers the last month which went completely pear shaped!

I'm very impressed with what he has done with us as I don't think we have a panel that is notably ahead of other panels and he seems to have put together a great team and identified weaknesses. The flip side is that he's round a long time, now maybe that just adds to his experience. Knockmore were very close to getting rid of him at the end of 2019 AFAIK, fine margins and all that.

I'd be delighted for him to do well, I've a lot of time for him personally, he's a likeable fella

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Good for you. I'm more cautious about this Saturday, especially if Ryan O'D is out. I'd also have little to no faith in how management set us up tactically. We lose, team gets a very well earned summer off and we can hopefully get a new management in place (would Rochford come back?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭muddle84

In Rochford's defence he isn't in charge in Donegal and we don't know how much influence he actually has there! Will we ever see a Mayo team perform as good as 2016 and 2017 again? I would love to see what he could do with this current panel.

I wonder would McGuinness be able to achieve the buy in he got from that Donegal panel in a different county? He is Donegal through and through, the back story with him winning in the 90's and everything else surrounding him has no relevance whatsoever in other counties. I would love to see him manage a different county but i don't see him replicating what he did in 2012!

But for now in Horan we trust!

• Advertisement

I think JMcG would get buy in from any group of players in the country. His methods could be outdated though

I don't think we played particularly well in 2016. Lost to Galway and had an easy enough run to the final, apart from scraping over Tyrone. Dublin were dreadful in the drawn final but we still didn't win. Then there was the keeper switch in the replay...

Played well in the 2017 final but we had a brilliant team then, with no significant injuries. It all comes back to injuries at the end of the day!

I think we scraped over Fermanagh as well in 16... A fairly controversial penalty helped get us over the line.

And there was plenty of scraping in 17 as well come to think of it. Clare gave us a bit of a scare, as did Cork in the qualifiers... That's before the replays in quarter and semi final.

But all that said, I always got a sense that we were building towards peaking at the right time in those two years. I got a sense that there was a plan anyway, but maybe that's just rose tinted glasses as I really liked him as a manager.

Those 2 years were definitely the most enjoyable to follow Mayo football, with all the close games, qualifier runs etc.

However looking back now it's hard not to question why Galway kept beating us and so many mediocre teams brought us to the wire. Considering we had such a strong team at the time.

Maybe the narrative was created through circumstance, but I definitely think there was an element of Rochford paying less attention to Connacht and aiming more towards the later stages of the All Ireland.

When he took over, we had won it 5 years in a row and maybe he changed the focus a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

There was nothing controversial about that penalty against Fermanagh only what was made of it by RTE afterwards. James Crombie from INPHO photography tweeted photos after the game showing a tangle of legs. The way it was portrayed afterward by RTE was nothing short of a witch hunt. They brought one single camera to the game and that was all they had to show the action from.

They had form that year I recall they did a hatchet job on Kevin McLoughlin on the Sunday game after the Tipp semi Final, when Bill Maher was sent off, making it out as if Kevin dived. It was shown afterward, using their own footage, that he had been punched, and that it was a red card all day long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Vish81

Money being lumped on Monaghan bigtime over past 48hrs.

They'll be into 2/1 maybe 15/8 before the balls thrown in.

A staggering drop from 10/3 in such a short space of time.

Mayo 4/9 'on' which is mindboggling given the injuries and the lack of fight and quality that we have previously witnessed v Kerry & Galway..

I remember that alright. Marty Morrissey brought a tablet into his interview with the Fermanagh manager afterwards and showed him the penalty incident, trying to make him call out Aidan O'Shea for diving. Which he did. Have never seen RTE do something like that before or since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I remember that too - it was poor form. The social media pile on after that was pretty horrendous, but not that surprising.

It was a penalty for sure, I meant controversial in the sense of the uproar and upset it caused many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

Was never excited by Stephen during his first stint. The team at the time, hell yeah, just not sure how much of that credit was down to him versus the individuals. Seemed to be different tactics, waving between better and much worse at times, without ever making a big step forward. Was fine, wouldn't be upset with him given another shot especially given his tactics on big days tended to work out, but wouldn't be super excited either. Certainly think he could have the potential to win an All Ireland with the lads we have in the panel at the moment and the talent coming through behind that.

Personally I'd be very excited seeing what Cian O'Neill might do in the role.

He didn't have a great time with the back pain the last time he was commuting up here so it might never be a runner, though was quite a while ago and hopefully his injury is in much better shape now. Given the way his period in charge of Kildare went he might also prefer staying in the coaching side of a setup rather than the managers seat. Though hearing how lads from Mayo, Kerry, Kildare or Galway talk about him and knowing his knowledge of the game and seeing how Galway look reinvented defensively this year he'd be right near the top of any list I'd come up with.

Rory Gallagher obviously going to be high on any lists put together at the moment. He's a real character so always a little marmite about him but personally I adore the passion he brings to the line. Watching the positioning and patterns of his Derry side shows a level of creativity, inventiveness and understanding of the game I've never witnessed before. Even with Jim Gavin. I get the feeling he's working hard creating generational talents at the moment rather than just reaping the reward of managing them. Be hard to imagine him leaving that Derry side in the next few years given the connection he seems to have built with the lads but if it's Fantasy Manager time I'll be sticking him down for sure.

(On that note, I'd happily let Jim Gavin have a pop if he wanted to take a few summer's on the West Coast for a change of scenery)

Ray Dempsey the obvious local to have earned the shot. Has done a wonderful job with Knockmore in recent years and up until this year I felt he was a shoe in for the role, especially given he seems a DAMN nice fella. Got a little worried seeing how the tactics shifted without Darren McHale fit, the long ball they went to never looked to be working and they always looked better when they moved away from it, but he has certainly done enough to be given a fair shot at it. Not entirely sure how much of the pattern work and drills is Ray and how much is Terry Kennedy who seems to attract a lot of the praise down there. If the latter has a heavy hand on the blueprint it'd be pretty vital to ensure he'd be part of a Dempsey ticket. Or possibly having him involved with the panel even without Ray.

Have heard others talking about Damien Mulligan or Maurice Sheridan. Personally wouldn't be a huge fan of the footie I've seen either produce, though in Mulligan's case how much of that was necessary given the constraints of the team I've no idea. A few others have mentioned John Reilly's fairly amazing work with Kilmeena this year but have to fear the step between Junior Club and Senior inter-county might be a jump too far without a few steps in between. Not the strongest position we've ever been in for managerial prospects and yet still a few local names to be thrown around with some confidence in a conversation which has to be a good sign.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Avon8

Even that Tyrone game was the easiest draw possible. The other options at QF level were Dublin and Kerry that year. Mayo got the handiest draw every step of the way that year once they hit the qualifiers. Similar but to a lesser extent in 17.

2013 was the best iteration of Mayo we've seen. That dismantling of Donegal will do well to be topped. Went into the final against a Dublin who were themselves in rip roaring form and it was priced as near 50/50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,802 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cian O'Neill?? Wouldn't want him anywhere near the place, granted he had a good record as a trainer but he has a brutal record as manager.

I wouldn't rate Rory Gallagher too highly either despite his recent success with Derry

I think that no matter what happens this year, Horan will call it a day and we'll be looking for a new manager at the end of the season. While Horan has his failing though, it will be hard enough to find a better manager to replace him IMO

Lose to Monaghan then it's time for Horan to do the honorary thing and step aside..

If we "Kick" on during the summer, and show something different besides the standard running game, and offer some

tactical nous , then he will deserve another bite at the cherry moving forward.

If it goes belly up , Éamonn Fitzmaurice would be my preference..

How would that work? Intercounty management is basically a full time job and Fitzmaurice is a school principal in Dingle. The criticism of O'Mahony in his 2nd term was that he hadn't enough time along with being a TD. Even though he lived locally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

Outside of Rochford and Horan, the only managers to get their teams to AIFs in recent years are:

Gavin - would prob be my choice even though I can't warm to him at all, and not sure he'd have any interest in managing against his former players, he values loyalty too highly I'd say.

McGuinness - For all the talk, he won 1 all ireland (against us of course!) and that was a decade ago. Mighy still work some magic but it's not without a fair amount of risk imo.

Fitzmaurice - school principal in Kerry, won one all ireland after we were shafted and shafted ourselves. Kerry were glad to see back of him, not sure why we'd have him above Horan.

Harte - A great manager in the 00s, not at top level now.

Peter Keane - another man Kerry were glad to see back of, thought he was much cuter than he is.

Dooher and the other fella - still with Tyrone and not looking too rosy at the moment.

All well and good saying Horan should go, but hes one of the top managers in the country no matter whether people are fed up or not.

God knows who we would end up with!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Will An Sportlann bar show the Ireland soccer match at 2pm i wonder? No other GAA clashing at that time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭SqueakyKneecap

I saw them showing rugby in there before so should be no issue imo. God bless the barstaff in there. Patience of saints.

You request a transfer and it's easily pushed through if all parties are on board with the idea. (like any profession)

Young progressive manager who demands a intricate kicking game , and is an All Ireland winner as a player, and repeated the trick with a Ok-ish Kerry team as a manager (- injured gooch)

Bottom line..

He knows how to get over the line..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

A bit like Obama was seen as a good president because he was followed by Trump, Fitzmaurice was seen as a good Kerry manager because he was followed by Peter Keane.

This will be Horan's last year I reckon, unless they win it which is highly unlikely.

And I think Horan's name will live long in the history of Mayo GAA for what he has done.

As for replacements a bit like other sports old names keep coming up rather than new ones.

We went from O'Mahony to Maughan to Holmes to Maughan to O'Mahony to Horan to Holmes to Rochford to Horan in the last 30+ years, with feck all in-between.

That's a lot of going back to the same tank.

And of those it was O'Mahony, Maughan and Horan that had the most impact, taking stragglers also rans and getting them to finals.

I know we are in good shape now relatively speaking so getting Rochford in for another crack might not be a bad idea, but is there anyone else in the county that might be a good fit?

Horan was an intermediate club manager when he got the job.

Who on the Mayo county scene would potentially make a great manager?

Mulligan & Dempsey

From what I’ve heard about the U-20 set up and what I saw with the U-20 set up I wouldn’t have Sheridan near the place.

Solan could be an option although he didn’t have a great time with Ballagh but that might have been the quality available. Andy another man that’ll be mentioned.

They were rode sideways in that quarter final under lights against Breaffy, they had a real chance at that county championship but for that

• Advertisement

Do you really think Fitzmaurice would move his whole Family to Mayo? That's not going to happen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,715 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Any injury updates at all?

From the Mayo News podcast it sounded like Hennelly is close....would be a welcome boost if only for his long range frees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭HBC08

Hennelly and Durcan will start .I dont know the full story with Mullen but I think he's going to start.Flynn will not take part. RoD is out as I understand it.

I was at the OTB live pod last night and James O Donoghue talked about a possible injury to O Hora,first I'd heard of it and I wouldn't put too much stock in it.

The Connaught Telegraph were the only ones talking about an injury to Carr so I'd completely disregard that given the source.

All in all we're in a better place that we were before Galway.I think we're going to see a big performance tomorrow.

To land the All. Ireland I don't think we have anybody with the ability, or the mind-set to cope with the pressures of handling Mayo GAA both on and off the pitch as a whole.

Rochford would be thee standout option if we were to go local again, but I think an outsider with a proven track record with no baggage may give us the best shout with this current batch of players.

Mayo are a media phenomenon now, biggest pull outside of Dublin ,and it will attract plenty of interest from outside the walls of Mayo.

Even paidi o shea wanted a crack at the job before his ill-health unfortunately took his life away .

To land the All. Ireland I don't think we have anybody with the ability, or the mind-set to cope with the pressures of handling Mayo GAA both on and off the pitch as a whole.

Rochford would be thee standout option if we were to go local again, but I think an outsider with a proven track record with no baggage may give us the best shout with this current batch of players.

Mayo are a media phenomenon now, biggest pull outside of Dublin ,and it will attract plenty of interest from outside the walls of Mayo.

Even paidi o shea wanted a crack at the job before his ill-health unfortunately took his life away .

So who is this outsider with a proven record and no baggage?

Is John O'Mahony the last outside manager to win Sam? Personally I think you need to be living fairly local to do a proper job. Jack O'Connor was very underwhelming with Kildare.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Eire885

He is named in the subs, along with Byrne, Brickenden, McHugh, COS, Jordan Flynn, McLoughlin, McHale, Loftus, Doc & Boland

• Advertisement

A big game needed from them all, but I think it's time for Orme to step up and show what he's made of... if he starts.

Not expecting him to carry the team or anything, but it would be a good time to really announce himself.

I've already stated his name earlier in the thread, and you've already responded to me in the thread earlier where his name was mentioned..

YOUR POST !#3230

03-06-2022 7:55am

We seem to have a Rossie styled outsider anger issue on the forum boards ,ala Liam McHale.... a threat within the comfort walls of Mayo ?

You starting to remind me of the unionists up north. (no,no , never...)

Act ignorant on the forum boards, you will be treated as such..

Fitzmaurice does not have the proven record you mentioned.

He won an All Ireland without having to play the best team in the country.

He got lucky, but took the opportunity when it was given, pity Mayo could not do the same when it was presented to them in 2021.

Even in Kerry he is not respected.

Plus he's busy in west Kerry, he ain't an option.

As for the rest of your post, I've been here a long time, longer than your 35 posts, I'll let the people who know me from my posting around here judge if I'm what you think I am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭blowitupref

Was a long list of injuries rumoured but of the 26 named i think there is just R O'Donoghue,Plunkett and Conroy ruled out.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

He is named on the bench. A very strong bench. Im very confident now. Hopefully ROD injury isnt too bad. I wonder is Fionn McDonagh injured again too?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Mod Note

'Act ignorant on the forum Boards, you will be treated as such.'

@Vish81 My advice is to post in a more Civil tone from now on.

Any issue, PM only.

McDonagh was supposed to be back from injury. Debatable whether he deserves a spot ahead of anyone in that 26 so might just be left out.

Hope we dont lose tomorrow , because if anybody wants to do any scrutiny of the game via a methodical dissection they'll probably be reported, cough,couughh,

• Advertisement
Advertisement