Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Hennelly is playing his best football now and fair play to him. He is the best option now.

I would have always taken Clarke every day of the week over him. The problem with him is that on the biggest day he makes mistakes that cost games. Saying that he has been really consistent and making some massive saves. He has moved up a gear and while his skill on kick outs, frees and saves could never be questioned, his decision making to come for a ball and the reading of it was questionable when the pressure was at the highest.

It is crazy to say we don't need a back up keeper. The league is the time to run these new guys out for the same reason what happened yesterday with Hennelly. You cannot underestimate the value of playing in real competive games to bring a guy on. You always need a back up plan for when Hennelly goes!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Jordan Flynn is going very well for Mayo. Has some engine on him for a big man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

Temperament was always the issue with Flynn, was he sent off in two or three of Crossmolina's championship matches this year?

Was delighted to see that in the Dublin game he got an early yellow and saw out the game. Hes a serious operator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

Flynn is rough in the tackle and that is his biggest issue. If he could come up for a few more scores and do more around the middle, he would be serious then. He would remind you of Colm McMenamin.

Would have came onto my radar when he had the meltdown in the u20 final as im a kildare man but ive watched out for him ever since when i go to mayo games with herself. He moves forward with so much power and can kick too. A better version of oshea?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭muddle84

I do wonder is he always a bit more on the ref's radar too because of that incident in the final.

Yes i think your right but i think hes starting to get over that now. Ye need a few videos of him sweeping dressing rooms lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,255 ✭✭✭✭km79

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

ah he has a better boot on him than Colm McManaman!

Post edited by spakman on

I don't know about that, Kevin McManamon's boot is the stuff of legend!! Colm is a different story😋

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Haha, meant Colm! I remember a great banana kick point, but the ball could go anywhere when he took a shot. Some athlete though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

First time trying to buy tickets on gaa.ie and this is what im seeing, does this mean it's sold out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Working fine for me. Was able to get as far as paying for 2.

am.ticketmaster.com/gaa/kerrymayo1203

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Got a couple now. Pity they dont accept paypal, i always have hassle using my debit card online but got there in the end

Mighty. Enjoy the trip, but not too much....lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

Anyone wondering/worried about Cillian? Was listening to James O'Donoghue on the Football Pod and he was commenting on Con O'Callaghan and James McCarthy and their levels of fitness at this stage of the season. He was suggesting that if they aren't reaching 80% fitness and getting competitive games in now, they aren't going to be sharp enough in time for championship, due to the shorter season this year. Got me thinking about Cillian and where he's at or if he's going to be ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

At this stage you'd have to think our hope would be having a Cillian O'Connor who could give you a second half of Cillian at his best football, a great option to come off the bench. I cant see him getting back to being a starter this season with that injury and where we are with the year.

I think thats a great option to have, the only balls of it is, that if we had Tommy Conroy then we'd be in serious shape with Orme playing so well, DOC back to his best and J DOC doing really well from what we have seen of him so far. Still need more forward power though, we cant have another year with such an underperforming half forward line.

Yeah, the forwards situation still isn't where it needs to be to win an All-Ireland imo. If one of Cillian or Conroy was right, I'd feel a bit more optimistic, but I just don't think we're going to have enough fire power ultimately when it gets to the business end of things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,343 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

When they talk about a player returning, isn't it always on the basis that they'll be ready to play. As in, they obviously wouldn't be 100% but if they're saying he'll be ready to return for Kerry, he'll be near that 80% and it'll be gametime that gives him the match fitness/makes up the gap.

If there's anyone cute enough to manage their way back it'll be Cillian I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Say Cillian & ROD both start in the championship, who do you put on frees?

Cillian for me

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

I still think Cillian will get back to being a starter this year. With Conroy's injury they're probably being ultra cautious about putting him back in early. I'm sure he's running and doing individual ball work by now anyway.

Stronger team named than I expected. O'Shea starting - not sure about that. No sign of Cillian and the unexplained absence of Jason Doherty continues (unless one or both appear on the bench). If either of these are going to be options come championship, they need to be playing this game and/or the next imo. Personally, I don't believe we are going to be seeing Cillian this year, or if we do, it will be in a highly dimished capacity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Really strong from 1-11 and I wonder will Harrison also start

i don’t see Fergal boland starting either

I’d be getting worried about Cillain now and Jason Doc again

We have so many options in so many positions now but the FF line with all the injuries could hold us back in Championship. I was really excited about it our potential options there this year too :(

• Advertisement

Strong enough team alright

I'd like to see Hession getting more of a run out, I think he could offer a lot, maybe at HF if the HB line is "full".

I'd also like to see McBrien in the FB line; I like Plunkett but I think if he's starting, it should be in the HB or HF lines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Just saw match on Saturday is sold out. Was thinking of heading down for it. Just putting it on here on the off chance that anyone has spare ticket to sell. Season ticket or otherwise. I’ll pay for it of course. I’d need to see if any accommodation available first I guess. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

what happened these guys again? cant rmemeber why they are out...

Cillian tore his achilles tendon early last year, I can't remember who it was against, was it Galway in the Connacht Final?

I don't think there is any word on what happened Doc that i've heard of yet!

It was the league game against Clare that Cillian got injured

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Rockfish

Sister in Tralee has messaged me to say a lad she know has a few spares. Just looked on booking.com, a few rooms available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭flasher0030

No seanie o Shea ……

That’s a big blow to them

I fancy our chances !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Our forward line just isn’t potent enough without Tommy , Cillian, Doherty . I think Kerry will win by 4-5 points .

no harm at all as Kerry have been pushing near full panel for some time now . Probably to hit the championship in top form. A tactic that might hurt them at the latter end if they pick up injuries .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

A lot of negative comments about the (lack of) depth of the Kerry panel I'd be questioning. A lot of focus seems to be on "Jack has failed to develop the panel" due to the low number of players used relative to others rather than a just as plausible or relevant "Kerry are sitting joint top, playing great footie at times, while missing a heap of lads you'd expect to see come championship".

They're going into the game with us without Paul Murphy, Gavin White, Mike Breen, Dan O'Donoghue (gives them something very different in that full back line, seems to be the new [if slightly more mature] face they needed), Stefan Okunbor, David Moran, and Seanie O'Shea who'd all have hoped or expected to be pushing for plenty of minutes this year. Not sure on the timelines for a few of those lads but I'd expect to see most back in and pushing before Kerry face anything too intimidating for them in the championship.

They went into the early games without 5 midfielders, playing Spillane and O'Shea out of position for most of those (was very surprised Greg Horan didn't see more game time given the injuries they had), and still managed to go unbeaten. That seems like some pretty decent squad building to me despite what the lower numbers used might suggest. Even without all those mentioned young Donal O'Sullivan who was incredibly impressive in the Sigerson isn't getting onto the list for this evening which gives an insight into the type of depth they do have.

I can't see a single line where they've got an obvious depth problem. Even the full back line they've normally struggled with seems to have some depth this year without a big drop in quality. From the few Stacks games I followed I'd imagine Dylan Casey will be pushing hard to break into that line too for Championship like O'Donoghue seems to have done.

All that said.... still fancy us to pip them. Going on the lineup chosen I'd expect to see us playing a very similar system to what we did against Dublin and make it very difficult for Kerry to play to their strengths.

Fingers crossed we get to see some minutes for Cillian O'C, Darren Coen or James Carr. All the talk about Kerry's depth issues has me wanting to wrap Aidan and Ryan in cotton wool. Our own options on natural inside forwards is looking mighty short on minutes this year.

Late notice but I cant make the game due to getting stuck in work. 2 free tickets if anyone wants them. Send email or WhatsApp and I'll send them on

Really could have and should have won that. Woeful wides lost it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

Mayo definitely should have been leaving Tralee with the draw at least. Some very quiet performances from some of their mainstays.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

daft tackle by A O S there at the end should have been a draw .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Good performance I think but bit of a meh result.

Some show from ROD in the second half....he's really pushing on since last year

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭quidel7

ROD is top class. Fast becoming one of Mayo’s most important players. He is improving steadily all the time which is great.

Yeah, he won some great balls in that 2nd half

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Just about a deserved result. Plenty for both teams to ponder on. Forward line needs more potency as we are relying on on or two individuals. Some of the big guns were relatively quiet but wet soggy pitches and poor heavy weather is not what this team are meant for . Decent overall performance .

Yeah, happy enough. plenty to improve upon, cillian and doherty badly missed up front. thought we handled kerry quite well though, and let pat Spillane talk them up all he wants, they are far from unbeatable

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭maximus15

O Shea did ok but still prefer him as impact sub and definitely shouldn't be playing the full game . Loss doesn't worry me at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I’m a bit disappointed to be honest. A few players didn’t perform well enough I thought. It was a game we should have won but mistakes cost us. 9 wides and mistakes made that cost us. Conditions were far from ideal and I would have thought it was a game that would have suited Eoghan MacLauglin for his additional pace. We are still missing Jason, Cillian and others so hopefully they can recover to feature at some point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I too came away from watching that game with a sense of disappointment.

Not by the way they played on the night but just the fact that I think we lack the personell in both the full back line and the full forward line to really make a serious challenge for the title.

And what I mean by serious challenge is winning the final, not just getting to it.

I know Cillian is due back as in Doherty, but relying on guys who have been out for extended periods to be the solution to the problem is never a good thing.

Right now ROD is carrying all weight of the full forward line, one can't expect Orme or the guy from Kilmeena (can't remember his name) to suddenly be great players in their first championship seasons, it would be great if they were.

The loss of Conroy is massive in that regard.

So the full forward line is just missing the depth needed.

Same goes for the full back line.

O Hora is big and tough but can struggle, Brickenden has been tried there and he struggled also.

Putting Lee there is taking away from what he still does best, going forward.

Advertisement