Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay adoption age

Options
  • 26-07-2021 8:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Can a gay couple adopt when they’re over 50?

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭barry1708

I don’t see why not ! :) people get kids later on in life for various reasons ! Wish you the best of luck 🤞

I don’t think that there’s an upper age limit. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,142 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

As regards age, there is no difference between gay and straight applicants. The same rules and practices apply to both.

There is no hard and fast rule, but in general a large age gap between the child and the prospective adopters is a negative factor in assessment of the suitability of the placement. A few years back the suggested maximum age gap was 42 years - i.e. if the child is, say, 4 at the time of the adoption the younger of the two applicants should be not older than 46 - but this is just one factor among many that is considered.

If you're adopting a child from abroad, of course, you may have to consider laws and practices about this in the country the child is from as well as Irish laws and practices. There may be local rules and/or practices about the maximum age gap.

Advertisement