Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Supplements do you take and why?

• 26-07-2021 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭

Curious as to what supplements people take and their reasoning behind them. Whether its a vitamin, herb, fitness supplement or any of the combination.

Not interested in derailing this into a pointless discussion on "your wasting your money", "you should be getting everything from a natural healthy diet", "supplements are steroids" etc.

Just looking for a chance for people to share there tips and experiences so that others can benefit.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Cill94

Whey

Creatine

Vit D

Fish Oil

Caffeine

Take those because they're the only things that work that aren't on WADA's banned substances list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I'm here just to see markmoto triggered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Anyone have experience or thoughts on ZMA and whether they make a noticeable difference for sleep/recovery?

Don't tempt fate. Legend goes that if you say "calorie deficit" 3 times into a mirror, you'll summon him and your thread will be ruined.

Research seems to indicate that it doesn't have any supported benefits outside of a source of zinc and magnesium for people who are deficient.

I have heard a few people report having some really strange dreams while taking it though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,151 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I take ZMA and yes, anecdotally I get weird dreams that I can remember, and I have longer periods of unbroken sleep.

Other than that-

Whey for protein goals

Creatine because it’s so cheap, why not

Magnesium bath salts for recovery after BJJ open mats … 15 minutes minimum soak with several fistfuls. Does reduce my next day muscle soreness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Caffeine and electrolytes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Vitamin B complex for energy. Or sometimes I just take a multivitamin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭smillingsam

Vitamin D for around 10 months of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭florryfox

Fish oil

Vitamin D

Garlic

Whey protein

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭markmoto

😀

Apple cider vinegar, one or two tablespoons diluted in glass of water will help to break down nutrients especially if you are over 30's

Post edited by markmoto on

As Alf Veedersane insist...

Anyone taking high dosage of D3 should take it with K2 (mk7 version)

I would replace fish oil with wild caught cod liver oil or better any fresh cooked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I take a multi-vitamin.

My GP told me that everyone at our latitude should be taking a vitamin D supplement - we don't generate enough of it because of the amount (lack) of sun we get.

I started this four years ago. I've been sick a couple of times, but nothing I wouldn't have expected seasonally.

My take on vitamin supplements is simple: if you're missing something in your diet, it fills the gap. If you're adding something to what you've already taken in through your diet, it's almost impossible to overdose.

So, everything to gain with no downside.

My GP is happy and so am I.

D.

I cant comment on quality but generally I wouldn't take magnesium & zinc together, both competing for absorption.

Abandon ship

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,655 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Except that's only really true where the level of zinc is very high. Approx 10 times higher than in a typical ZMA supplement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

currently

a preworkout - because....because...because...because of the wonderful things it does.

intra workout - EEAs 15g + 30g cyclic dextrin + 5g creatine mono - I take this concoction cos I train first thing in morning about 6am and I've nothing eaten since last nights dinner. If I trained later i mightn't take this but I'm not eating at 5.30am. fcuk that.

Curcumin - cos health .

vit d - also cos health

Vit c - I bought 2kg of it when i'd covid in April so still using it ,not sure Id supplement it as i prob get enough with fruit.

Whey - I have whey if I feel I need extra protein and for mixing with greek yoghurt. I take most days but I'm not religious about it.

occasionally take other stuff at random and impulse.

You bought 2 kg of vit C ? Ascorbic acid or real vitamin C compound, would you post picture of label please?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Owenee

i take 1 capsule of Berberine from aumeto everyday to lower my blood sugar level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭GoogleBot

If you have to lower blood sugar with supplements must be something wrong the food you eat or your body performance.

• Advertisement
Advertisement