Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tipping Competition

Options
  • 24-07-2021 8:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭

Yes folks, the event that we have all been waiting for :The Irish Championship Tipping Competition and this year there is a new twist to the scoring. Tipsters can choose as many games as they like each day scoring 1pt for a win for the higher rated player, 3 for a draw and 5 if you predict a win by a lower rated player BUT (and here is the new twist) if even one of your predictions is wrong you score nothing for that day. I was hoping that the ICU would facilitate every entrant paying 5 euro online so that there would be prizes for the winners but I don't know if this will happen. Best of luck everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭sodacat11

When is the draw going up for the first round? It takes time and a lot of analysis before predictions can be made.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

Looks like the list of players is still in flux. Two dropouts this week, the second of which was yesterday. Another wildcard has been added to the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

Round 1 predictions:

Wins for:

Baburin

Murphy C

Kanyamarala Tarun

O'Gorman T

Heidenfeld

O'Donnell

Fitzsimons

Daly

Doyle

Murray

Venkatesan

Murphy S

(12 games, all predictions = higher rated player wins)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 FMtoog

Predictions

Overall 1st O'Gorman, T; 2nd Murphy, C; 3rd Baburin, A

Round 1 wins for:

Baburin, A; Murphy, C; Kanyamarala, T; O'Gorman, T; Fitzsimons, D; Murphy, S

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

Round 1 wins

Tom O Gorman

Conor O Donnell

Colm Daly

Trisha Kanyamarala

David Murray

Gerry O Connell

Alexander Baburin

Tarun Kanyamarala

Mark Heidenfeld

David Fitzsimons

Leon Putar

All higher-rated except Leon Putar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Past_Pawn_99

Overall: 1. C. Donnell, 2. C. Murphy, 3. D. Fitzsimons.

Round 1:

Wins: Baburin, C. Murphy, Tarun, O'Gorman, C. O'Donnell, D. Fitzsimons, C. Daly, Trisha, D. Murray, K. Venkatesan, T. Harding, S. Murphy.

Draws: Doyle vs Putar, Carroll vs Collins, Moran vs Fox.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 rapidrook181

Round 1:

Wins: Baburin, Murphy, Kanyamarala Tarun, O'Gorman, O'Donnell, Fitzsimons, Murray, Venkatesan,

Draws: Carroll-Collins, O'Flaherty-O'Connell, Moran-Fox

Overall: 1st O'Donnell, 2nd Baburin, 3rd O'Gorman

Rd1 Win for Putar v Doyle. Draw for Harding.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Navi52

Rd1 wins for Baburin, C Murphy, Ta Kanyamarala, T O'Gorman, Heidenfeld, O'Donnell, Fitzsimons.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 lukeh1996

Rd 1 wins: K. Burke, L. Scott, P. Carroll, C. O'Donnell, A. Goss, C. Murphy, A. Baburin

• Advertisement

Well that's you picking up 0 anyway! This new scoring system may make things a bit easier; we shall see.

There's usually an upset or two in the first round, but it's usually not worth the risk of trying to pick it I think, so I'll play safe with Murphy x 2, Kanyamarala x 2, T O'Gorman, Fitzsimons and Heidenfeld.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 James Patrick

Wins for A Baburin, C Murphy, Tarun K, T O’Gorman, M Heidenfeld, C O’Donnell, D Fitzsimons and Sean Murphy.

Draws for A O’Gormam v Trisha K and Moran v Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alicechristina

Wins for Baburin, C Murphy, T Kanyamarala, T O'Gorman, Heidenfeld, O'Donnell, Fitzsimons, S Murphy.

Draws: Moran - Fox

• Registered Users Posts: 23 alicechristina

• Registered Users Posts: 31 FutureCM

Round one

Wins for

FM Murphy, Conor E

FM Kanyamarala, Tarun

IM Fitzsimons, David

Moran, Darragh (Lower Rated Player)

Murphy, Seán J

Draws for

O' Flaherty, Kevin - O'Connell, Gerard

CM Harding, Tim D - Goss, Alex

Overall

1st FM Murphy, Conor E

2nd FM Kanyamarala, Tarun

3rd FM O'Donnell, Conor

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CremeDeLaHarvey

Outright: My boy CremeDeLaODonnell will win it this year. Runner up I'll go for my other WG boy Fitzsimons. Third Conor Murphy. I'm also expecting big things from The Dazzler, Darragh Moran, he'll score 50%.

Round 1:

Wins: D.Moran, C.O'Donnell, D.Fitzsimons, C.Murphy, Ta.Kanyamarala, M.Heidenfeld, A.Baburin.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 WilliamKenny

Overall: 1st O'Donnell, 2nd C Murphy, 3rd T O'Gorman

Wins:

Baburin (1pt)

C Murphy (1pt)

Tarun (1pt)

T O'Gorman (1pt)

Heidenfeld (1pt)

Fitzsimons (1pt)

Trisha (1pt)

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Retd.LoyolaCpt

I’ll leave it up to sodacat whether he’ll permit this one as we’re passed 3 - but I haven’t had a chance to look at games yet as I was trying to get games working on c24, and finish the 100.000 word preview..

I would take seeds for a point on top 5 boards. 12 and 14 for 1 point too.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭zeitnot

For overall result (lots of people seem to be offering predictions on this; maybe it's a tie-break?):

1. Conor O'Donnell
    2. Conor Murphy
    3. Alexander Baburin.

(Late entry--the first round is almost over as I type this.)

• Advertisement

I will allow it in return for a nomination to play in the European Senior event in Sardinia!!

I hope someone is keeping score. I harvested 8 points from my two brave predictions today!!!

We have a draw for round 2 - fire ahead with tips while I work out the scores for round 1. Note - I am quite wrecked after today's game, so do check your scores!!

Round 2

Wins for

FM Murphy, Conor E

FM O'Donnell, Conor

Moran, Darragh (Underdog)

Draw in

Fox, Anthony - CM Harding, Tim D

• Registered Users Posts: 22 CremeDeLaHarvey

Sadly The Dazzler cost me all the marbles during Round 1. He now knows he is under huge pressure to deliver the goods tomorrow, or I won't back him again.

Round 2:

Wins for CremeDeLaODonnell, C.Murphy, T.O'Gorman and D.Fitzsimons. Draws in Daly-Baburin, Kanyamarala-Kanyamarala and Fox vs Harding. And a win for The Dazzler, vs K.Burke.

OK - the new scoring system has certainly taken its toll! And indeed I'm to blame for some of that (sorry not sorry 😁)

Sodacat may regret being so conservative with just two tips, but they were good, and he is in sole second behind Alice, who was the only person to call Tony Fox to draw. Did none of us watch last year?! Reigning champion WilliamKenny is lurking on 7.

Shout out too to EnPassant for tipping Leon to win against the seed, but Gerry O'Connell let him down.

This is how I see it. Any errors, let me know!

And I think round 2 is a time for a couple of "gimmes", such as there are in this comp, and maybe a tip into an upset.

So Conor x 2, Tom, David Fitz, Lara and Adam for me, with Tony Fox to draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭EnPassant

For round 2:-

Wins for Conor Murphy, Tom O'Gorman, Conor O'Donnell, David Fizsimons, Peter Cafolla and Darragh Moran (lower-rated)

Apologies to the scorer for the confusion but could I add a draw in WIM Kanyamarala Trisha - FM Kanyamarala Tarun

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 FMtoog

Round 2

Wins for:

Favourites: O'Gorman, T; O'Donnell, C; Fitzsimons, D;

Underdogs: Putar, Lara; O'Gorman, A

Advertisement