Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worm in my fish

Options
  • 22-07-2021 11:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

I bought fish in a good fish shop in Dublin, cooked it and started eating it. Then noticed a big worm wriggling in it!!!!!! What do I do? How do I go about complaining to the fish shop? Very disturbed by it

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Worms in fish are "normal" and not a food safety issue if cooked properly. The shop may give you something for it but there's no real issue here.

https://www.fsai.ie/faq/fish_parasites.html

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Do you know what type of worm? Could it be that it was originally consumed by the fish?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,958 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Can parasatic worms survive the cooking process or was the OP's fish undercooked?

That is nightmarish.

Did you gather any photo or video evidence of this worm or did it wriggle off the plate?

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Rustyman101

Worms are very common in fish, must have been v undercooked & fresh ! One of the reasons sushi is sliced thinly

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Worms in fish are normal, the fact that it was still alive after cooking is not. Maybe as the fishmonger on advice about cooking the fish next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Marymoore

the Fish looked completely cooked. It was a very thin piece of fish and after frying 2 mins on each side it was cooked right through , it was soft and wet though not dry… maybe not 100% cooked but certainly not raw and would have thought fully cooked. It was nightmarish, can’t believe that’s normal? If it is normal to find worms in fish, why do people eat it??? Even if the worm was dead it’s really horrible!!

the worm was quite large, it wasn’t a tiny worm….

• Registered Users Posts: 5,260 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Now thats spooky as was watching a horror film called THE BAY 2012 movie of parasites in fish and having an effect on humans.

80% of film is fact which is a worry.

Sorry was trying to post a photo of the worm but won’t let me.. I still have the worm so could bring it to show fish man and ask how it got there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Tails142

Fish are riddled with worms, very common, farmed fish are the worst for it. You need to cook it longer, 4 mins not enough, 25 mins in oven wrapped in tinfoil, probably 12 mins on a pan minimum.

12 mins on a pan?? The fish would be burnt and dry… I like the fish fully cooked but I like a bit of juice…

So I’m guessing I’ve no rights when it comes to complaining then?

Does the fact that fish are riddled with worms not repulse people and turn them off fish???

Like I’m not too keen on eating a dead worm either… disgusting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Ah c'mon, are we so removed from the real world and dependent on supermarket packaged food that this is described as nightmarish?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Can you google fish worms, get one that looks the same and show us what it looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

Many years ago on The Gay Byrne Show he had a person on talking about fish and the cooking thereof, might have been Bord Bia, or Bord Iascaigh Mhara. I definitely remember the guy saying cod in particular could have worms in the head. It put me off fish for years. I got back eating it eventually though and have never found worms in any fish, I'm happy to say.

a phone video of the event with a little wriggle room might get you a couple of mackerel gratis perhaps

I can't stop shaking just thinking about it. But, you know, pics or it didn't happen.

Smoked coley is a fish you can cook the bejezus out of without ruining it. Think I'll stick with that for a while.

• Advertisement

I’d attach a pic but apparently I’m too new here to send links..

Definitely take pics and video ASAP as evidence, OP. Bring it down to the shop tomorrow and don't let the fishmonger try to worm his way out of it. (Sorry.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

Fish is basically worms… before you cook it you should strike the fish ferociously with a hammer and then soak it in salt and pure alcohol for 72 hours. Only then is it safe to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭EltonJohn69

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Was the fish gutted when you bought it? Also was head removed?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Samson1

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Never go near strawberries

If the worm was still alive after cooking you must have just shown the fish to the oven but anyway its extra protein in your diet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Was there a hook as well? :)

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement