Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

E92 320D - N47 Timing Chain Advice

Options
  • 22-07-2021 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭

Planning to go look at one of these at the weekend. Its a 2012 so I believe it would have been one of last models with the infamous N47 engine? Before I go view I was just wondering if the well reported timing chain issue was resolved by 2012? Reading a lot of conflicting information online about it but its from years ago, so asking here in case anyone has more up to date information about it.

A side note - can up the budget to stretch for an F10 with the B47 engine, but would prefer to go with the E92 if the TC issue isn't as prevalent in the '12...unless they are best avoided altogether at this stage?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,153 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They can and they do suffer from timing chain issues. While that E92 might be one of the last ones it's still fitted with a variant of the N47 engine from an era of when they had a high percentage of failures. They made modifications to the engine again when the model changed to the F3x but these still have timing chain problem but to a lesser extent than the E generation. I'd go look at it and find out about it's history, it's a 9 year old car and BMW were replacing some of them not before alot of owners got stung so it should have some sort of history of it being replaced at this stage.

I thought I read before on here that you can pay BMW to do an inspection on the chain, might be worth looking into for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

More than the chain issue a 2012 E92 is a very different car from a 2015 F10 B47. I'd focus on buying the car that is for you first, and then delve into the engine issue.

Advertisement