Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Des O'Malley Progressive Democrats founder has died.

• 21-07-2021 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭ 10000maniacs

He tried to change the two party Irish political landscape and create a liberal version of Fine Gael/ Fianna Fail for those who didn't dig the civil war politics vibe from those parties.

Didn't work obviously as there were too many career politicians in the PD's.

And he personally held Haughey to account on numerous issues which was a good thing.

RIP Dessie.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,511 ✭✭✭ whippet

deleted double post

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol

RIP he did a lot of good for politics in ireland overall a positive influence . kinda a shame the PDs didn't continue.

although Harney made a bollox of health -

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭ crossman47

Not in every respect. She backed Prof. keane on the cancer strategy and that has been one of our great successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭ Furze99

He didn't succeed though as you say - even in last election when I look at our local ballot paper the choice is dominated by FF or FG or Ind FF or Ind FG and variations on same. The PDs were birds of a feather. Any real choice was and is largely illusory.

Standing up to Haughey the Crook and his bullies will be what he is remembered for best.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭ paw patrol

[Quote 1] I can accept that she didn't get everything wrong. I just meant overall

[Quote 2] He didn't succeed in the end but for a while he did. Rather try and fail than never try. I believe he was honest and on a brief recollection i don't recall too much of the FF and FG sleaze affecting the PDs (as many of them were ex FF) - but open to correction.

apologies haven't figured out the multi quote thing yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75,005 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

RIP

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,275 Mod ✭✭✭✭ seligehgit

A politician of the highest integrity.

A shining light for all those considering a political career.

RIP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,896 ✭✭✭✭ Joe_ Public

Yes, true about him finally splitting over a vote on contraception which marked the occasion for his famous standing by the republic speech. I don't recall if that speech was carried live on tv, but i clearly remember the reaction it generated and being awestruck, probably the only Irish political speech i can remember giving me goosebumps. The Irish Times printed it in full the following day, almost a full page of the newspaper. Shortly afterwards, i attended a meeting of the PDs in my town and soon decided they weren't quite for me, but I never lost my admiration for Dessie from that day on.

Post edited by Joe_ Public on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭ touts

That's the point I'm making. I always thought the treatment of the PDs was very unfair. They were centre right economically and on some social issues but on others they were very liberal. But RTE etc revelled in destroying them and portraying them unfairly as hard right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭ Abominable Dr. Phibes

A true Republican who stood up to the thugs and criminals who sullied that word.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭ XLR 8

RIP Dessie Ó Malley. A genuinely decent politician and a really nice man. Our country is better for having had you and it's a sad place today at your loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,228 ✭✭✭ DaCor

RIP Des

He was one of the good ones and Ireland is better for having him take part in our politics

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭ HoliyMoliy

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭ Blaaz_

Wasnt she minister of health whom oversaw the outsourcing of cervical health smear testing with diastorus results?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,313 ✭✭✭✭ FrancieBrady

RIP Des.

Didn't agree with his politics, thought he was hypocritical for political advancement at times but he did some service.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭ batman75

To become justice minister at just 31 was remarkable. Showed great courage to stand up to a political titan like Haughey. Even earlier when he ran for TD against his aunt by marriage when his uncle died. For a time the PDs look like being a formidable alternative to FF and FG before their popularity waned. Always struck me as an inherently decent man and a man of principle. We simply don't have men of his ilk anymore in Irish politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,081 ✭✭✭✭ Danzy

He had a bad personal relationship with Haughey and others but when needed he backed him as Taoiseach, backed Albert, stool tall for Bertie Ahern, Ray Burke and Liam Lawlor knew his worth.

He was loyal when and where it counted.

The mark of the man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭ Yurt2

The PDs were an interesting phenomenon. Credit to Des O'Malley for bringing some class of thought to stodgy civil war politics dominated by sleeven political brutes like Haughey and pinstripe molehair suit chancers like Pee Flynn.

That said, they were a party of de-rigour economic liberalism of the late 20th century that served Ireland well until they didn't. Boston before Berlin etc etc and Harney's two tier Frankenstein health service that we're still trying to unpick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭ Xander10

Came across as an honest politician. Which is something rare.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭ RandomViewer

Thought Noonan was in a nursing home but he showed up on the news to stick his oar in,

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭ RamonD3

Rare indeed to see a universally admired politician of principles. When you see the going over that James Geoghegan got for being associated with Renua, it is hard to imagine the PDs existing in this climate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,272 ✭✭✭✭ markodaly

In fairness, lots of Media still do this even today.

FG is seen by RTE and others are purely right-wing, when they are clearly not, given any definition.

Advertisement