Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which large estate 2015+ €15k

• 21-07-2021 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

My saab 9-5 estate's been written off by a 3rd party, so we're looking to get something 6 years old max that's comparable to fit bikes, go on holidays in, carry sheets of plywood from B&Q, etc., in the boot and with enough rear legroom to comfortably fit a rear facing child seat without leaving no space the front passenger. A bit of luxury would be nice too, a/c, maybe leather and heated seats, and auto gearbox are a plus. I was a bit spoiled with the saab which was fully kitted out.

All I can think of is a well specced skoda superb (might be hard to find in budget), or maybe a passat or mondeo as a compromise. The only issue is that we probably do 10k km a year max, and all these cars are diesels. Even if a petrol option was available, good luck finding one. Most journeys would be under 5km and would be pretty much exclusively used in the city. What options are there out there? Assuming a diesel is a bad idea considering the mileage tbh. While I'm not against crossovers/SUVs I find that they're almost always smaller than estates inside, and are just lifted hatchbacks.

I suppose the prius 3rd gen could be a fit, but the boot isn't the biggest vs what I'm used to, and they're seriously grim on the inside.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,289 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There are a few petrol Passat estates in your price range, mostly older generation and Japanese imports (wouldn't put me off).

Not much info on this one and no photos but it's close to budget: https://www.carsireland.ie/2887370

Another one here but a year older: https://www.carsireland.ie/2852997

I'd seriously consider upping your budget to 16/17k and try get into a 1.2/1.3 Megane tourer post 2017. Lots of space and loaded with spec on the Dynamique and GT Line Models

• Registered Users Posts: 46 autoboi

I was looking for something similar a while back. Large petrol estates that don't cost the earth to buy / run are like unicorns

If you can find one (!) there is a 2014 - 2017 petrol Honda Civic estate which might work. The other option I came across was the Peugeot 308 Estate which actually has a 660L boot which is the same as you would get in a Skoda Superb. The 1.2L engine in the Peugeot gets good reviews and should be good for 40+ MPG but again finding one can be hard - theres one 2016 on donedeal and its up north but well within budget £7750- it wont let me post a link 🙄

My budget wasn't as big as yours so I gave up on the estate and bought a petrol Ford Cmax, there is just more of them about!

Pros: I like the high seating position, It fits 2 bikes, has 3 individual seats in the back, couldnt live without front windscreen demister button and it can fit six 8foot railway sleepers 😎

Cons: Its looks like a Ford Cmax 😂

Best of luck!

Advertisement