Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying a house

• 21-07-2021 12:14am
    Registered Users, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1

Hi, I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am considering buying a house in Longford with my husband and 4 daughters aged 6 and under.

We are all born and lived in dublin all of our lives, we have to move out as we are completly priced out of Dublin.

I have heard lots bad things about Longford, between anti social behaviour, trouble in the town and unfriendly people.

I'm just wondering is it as bad as people say it is, would it be a decent place to raise my daughters, would there be much in Longford for them to do when their teenagers and would they have a good quality of life?

I couple of houses popped up in drumlish, dun darragh, Ardnacassa and in Longford Town.

Any info at all would be great!

Thank you so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

you buy after?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Longford gets a disproportionately unfair amount of bad press, probably because nothing much ever really happens here, so when something newsworthy does happen, it gets a bit blown out of proportion.

I'd say it's a very safe place to live, there's a few of dodgy families around alright but they tend to keep their criminal dealings mainly to themselves. Most of the average Longford folk are friendly and accommodating and it's got lots of community spirit.

It's annoying the way Longford is ridiculed & looked down upon by the media. I remember reading a post on the journal where someone suggested that Longford would be a good place to test a nuclear warhead, the bloke who posted it was from Drogheda! I mean . . . what a bloody hypocrite 🙄

If we don't start to fight back against this deceitful portrayal of our home town & County . . . then in some ways it becomes a safe fulfilling prophecy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭davehey79

i'm from the town myself so with regards Ardnacassa I'd only consider if its Ardnacassa (as in old Ardnacassa) itself. Ardnacassa Avenue i'd stay well clear of. Similar of Dun Darragh i'd stay well clear of myself also. Drumlish has some nice estates and never hear of much from there (which is generally a good sign) 10 mins to town / 25 to Carrick-On-Shannon / close to Dillon's in Ballinamuck for good grub too.

Advertisement