Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car Window Tinting

• 20-07-2021 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello. I'm looking for some advice on tint percentages for my car. I have a baby who is still in a rear facing child seat and there are times when the sun gets in his eyes and makes him upset. I have a pair of pull over sun shades (like giant socks for the door windows) but these are fugly as hell and I was thinking of just getting the rear passenger and the rear window tinted. The only problem is I don't know what tint I should go for. I'm looking for something that I will still be able to see out of but will make travelling easier for my little man. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭con747

From the RSA website "The glass in the windscreen and front side windows will be required to have a light transmission level of not less than 65% in order to pass the NCT test.  Tinting of these windows must not be greater than 35%.Unfortunately the National Car Testing Regulations do not allow for any exemptions in this regard."

AFAIK the rear window does not fall into that category and can be tinted more.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

You can go as dark as you want on the back windows, I'd probably go for 10-20% tint

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chaka84

Thanks for that. The most common tints I'm seeing are 5% and 20%. Will 20% block enough light so that it doesn't bother my son in the child seat? Or would 5% block too much and I would no longer be able to look out of the windows, especially when reversing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 chaka84

Thanks. You're right that the rear windows do not fall into this category and these are all I'm going to have tinted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,896 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I’ve an S Max with factory rear tinted glass, and it’s about 20%. It gives good enough shade that we never even had to think about adding anything else for the kids, even when they were babies. You can see out fine for reversing, etc.

5% is nearly totally opaque, and I would say it’s both overkill and impractical.

So 20% is as dark as I’d go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement