Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline: Thread with no name, Host with no shame

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Sweet Jesus, do we really need to know all this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Lovely way to finish the "celebrations" from Joe's point of view: DEATH!!!! decapitated bodies, body parts, etc

Well done, Guggi

• Registered Users Posts: 81,822 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Going out with a song.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭calculator

We really don't. But this loser needs the publicity so it's all good.

Oh, it's a free ad.

• Advertisement
    M

The sound mixing and choice of song is Oscar winning material.

Back to my murder docs on YouTube. This is awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭johnbarrett35

Are we due a D'arcy screw up? I think so.

An 'artist'. But pretty much a professional bono hanger-on-er. A natural spanner though, I'll give him that 😂

• Advertisement

Him and Gavin Friday

I remember one RTE doc where they were driving Gavin Friday around Ballymun. Talking to some local kids, the producer was asking the youngsters: "Do you know who this is? Does he remind you of anyone?", heavily prompting them that there was a big Bono resemblance.

Gavin Friday was sickened when the response was a resounding 'NO!" to both 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Please explain.

The Irish media and government at the time were telling us that the North was a foreign country, and that to sympsthise with similar events against the Irish section of the population performed by the perpetrators of these bombings, was akin to terrorism.

Cannot have it both ways, as the British eventually learned.

Also, there are plenty of atrocities commemorated in the North.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭An Claidheamh

Any word from knights of the British empire - Bono or Geldof for this atrocity

Of course not!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Anything beyond Fingerless doesn’t count.

Unless it’s on the last Fry Day of the month when the expense are a euro a mile, full board and a room for two nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Coincidentally the contract email address for them is jo@samaritians.ie .

• Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭tohaltuwi

I always think of Joe when I see the Samaritans email address. Maybe he has volunteered with them for all we know, except somebody would have let that car out of the bag long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭squonk

New buke in time for Christmas: De Dead Chislers Of Talbot Street!

M

Anyone seeking an additional fix of Joe should look not further than RTÉ 1 tonight at 9.35, Mrs Brownes Buoys D'movie.

Proper Funny Fwhoyday material so to speak…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,986 ✭✭✭✭zell12

He uses the voyce changing masheen for those calls

'and how would you kill yourself' and

'how do you imagine dying' and

'i think you should call the joe duffy show he might help you stop crying'

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Shan Doras

Here is a thought, Kevin Branaghan of Ireland's Classic Hits Radio might pull of a major coup and sign up Joe Duffy to host a telephone call in talk show called "The Joe Duffy Show" weekdays 1pm to 3pm on Ireland's Classic Hits Radio

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mykrodot

I have to say today's show brought back so many memories. I was just a young kid. My father owned Black & Co, the shop that the Slainte lorry was outside , the one that saved the life of Vincent Campion who worked for my dad and who was interviewed today . My dad's shop was next door to Guineys and both shops took the brunt of the explosion along with the unfortunate people on the street.

I'll never forget the phone call (the old fashioned phone out in the hall) when a relative rang to tell us. The phone lines to the shop were destroyed so we didn't know for hours if my Dad and his staff were alive or dead. No mobile phones then, no texts . We were all crying (all 7 of us kids) and my poor mum too. Thankfully althought the shop was destroyed and all his furniture, nobody was badly injured, the luck of God ….as with many on that day then many not so lucky.

So the horror comes back and the realization now as an adult of what he must have gone through, his shop floor a makeshift morgue, bodies from the street being brought in, there was no counselling in those days, no talk of PTSD, nothing. He never spoke of that day, he couldn't. Strong people in different times.

Very sorry to hear that @mykrodot. I’m delighted your dad and all his staff escaped unscathed. It really was a horrible experience for all involved including yourself. I don’t think any of us would have minded hearing the peoples experiences on a sensitive show. Most of us here are mainly pissed off with Joe and his digging for ghoulish details. The sad thing is that it ends up undermining any value in hearing the accounts. I know nobody on here thinks being at ground central in a car bombing is anything but a highly traumatising and deeply unpleasant experience. We don’t need the morbid details to make us realise this.

I hope your dad and his staff and shop went well after the event. Best wishes to you and your family.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭Tow

El presidente would be bad lined if he called into Joe these words:

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mykrodot

thanks so much for your post, much appreciated. My Dad died a long time ago now, my mum very elderly. But it was always in their memories. No offence taken at all, and I completely get what you're saying about Joe Duffy, his ghoulisness is off the scale! I rarely listen to him, just my sister text me yesterday to say the bombing segment was on. Thanks again.

The bombings are in the memory of anyone over a certain age, but nothing compared to people directly involved like your family. I was pretty young but had loved trips into town, but there was the fear of God from then on for a good while. I used to worry about my Dad getting home safe from work, and this was common among our neighbours. They were uneasy times in Dublin and border areas, you kept your mouth shut for fear of upsetting the wrong people, and as a young person I didn’t quite know who were “the wrong people”. Anyone with a Northern accent would send nervous shivers through you as there was a certain narrative going around.

Liveline often deals in long past issues, but that comes generally across as being more motivated by Joe’s ghoulery than as a service to validate the traumatic memories of those who were affected. The reality is that people are shaped by their past traumas and “forgetting” is not a reality for many.

Sensitive programs could best serve the needs of people. Maybe a special ongoing series with listener/viewer input, on radio or television could serve such a purpose, dealing with the Troubles, the Church, past social issues, the Stardust, how women were treated in a patriarchal society and much more.

Younger folk, or those with the good fortune of having resilience now might think digging up the past is taking over coals, but people live with traumatic legacy forever in one shape or another. Be it they bury it and become substance abusers, get flashbacks that stop them in their stride, or feel the need to pour over it all forensically as away of coping. A program where the host doesn’t seem to get “pleasure” out of it would serve many much better.

Liveline ounces some of these traumatic issues in the middle of the day with hardly a warning, typically at a time people might be driving and get unexpectedly swept into listening. A pre-flagged program “next week we will be dealing with the Dublin & Monaghan Bombings” would allow people to gather their thoughts together and submit them for possible inclusion in the program material.

Other times Liveline deals with absolute nonsense and trivia. I think it would best serve as a platform for current & more recent discussion from the perspective of ordinarily callers, and highlight present concerns from scams going around and encourage solutions and remind people of ways to to avoid and overcome by encouraging verified experts to come on rather than always dragging everything out ad nauseum. A bit of humour here and there is no harm when relating issues, but could we possibly avoid entire Funny Frydays.

you make an excellent point but preplanning the show wouldn’t allow Joe to drag up whatever pet issue he thought of in the car on the way in. It’s been mentioned here before that he dumps the pre prepared stuff from his staff and, to be fair to them, if that’s likely to happen, why bother. Worse, he seems to have deciddd he’s the producer as well so topics drag on as long as he’s interested in them.

Liveline could be a great show if it was well managed. The problem at present is an annoying little man treating the slot as his own personal fiefdom to air out whatever bugbears he has as nauseum with no brakes on his control.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,546 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Co-founder of Riverdance: ‘Michael Flatley did not create Riverdance’

“When I first created Riverdance in my heart I knew it was going to be a [success],” he(Flatley) said. 

Maybe lay off your "bottle of poison". No wonder "his" whiskey is called "The Dreamer". Is there no end to Fartley's talents?

• Advertisement

No end to money & sense of self-importance with some of these, although overall I think Flatley is probably a decent enough chap. You want a whiskey named after you, just commission a small new product development company to do the technical & patent set -up for you and identify a manufacturing service and dance your way into profit & more fame, hopefully.
    ”What style whiskey do you want the drink named after you to be?”
    “Cheap & nasty, but that people will love me for it”.
    “Here, we’ll set up a blend of already identified dregs, it will be your name on it, we’ll send you the bill”.
    “Begorrah sir, I love my Ireland, people will love me for it as much as I love them”

Advertisement