Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Rugby Discussion 3

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,861 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

there are laws to prevent that happening, and the ref should have imposed them.

there should be wrists slapped after that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ref deserves a hiding in a professional sense for allowing it to go on as long as it did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Shehal

According to Kiwi ref Ben O'Keefe on the Breakdown who did research after the incident said the ref can give a free kick against a team if A. They are clearly time wasting or B. Doing something agains there spirit of the game. So the ref was well within his rights to penalise England but didnt...

interesting take on it from the eggchasers..... they say there should be some onus on the defence in this case to make a realistic effort to chase back to force the score.

because (my words), in effect, both team acted in contrary to the spirit of the game, so it would be 'slightly' unfair to just punish England in this situation.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I'd agree that both teams should have been penalised, probably after the fact but in terms of actions available to the referee during the game penalising England would have been the only available option.

As mentioned above, the ref should have said "Take the score or it's a penalty" and frankly if the player refused I'd be carding him to boot for refusing the follow an instruction from the referee.

Letting them away with it , both on field and after the fact sets a precedent for this kind of rubbish.

Given that the ref failed to act during both teams should have been kicked out of the tournament to put an end to any future ideas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

So Will Skelton played this weekend and looks good to go next week for the final, despite what ROG was suggesting on Off The Ball last week it being unlikely he'd be seen again this season. (Caveated of course with 'theres always a chance')

Love listening to Rog and obviously he's not going to compromise himself as a coach by giving away game plans and selections, but is he not compromising himself as a pundit here? I'd call it gamesmanship if this was said in a post match interview, but this it was said on his weekly slot on a spots news website. Feels like a conflict of interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,501 ✭✭✭swiwi_

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Even by your usual standards, that one is in the crypt.

He's not really a pundit though tbf, he is on as ROG the coach. They spend half their time discussion coaching, even in that very interview they spent ages talking about the psychology of kickers and how to handle a kicker having an off day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Given the complaining by England after the ruck debacle vs Italy a few years ago and their push to implement laws covering it you. Can only imagine what would have happened had it been England sitting in Canada’s position watching Argentina fail to chase Canada down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,223 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

There's a gulf opening between the Northern Hemisphere and Southern Hemisphere with regards to player safety. The latter just aren't as stringent when sanctioning high shots and dangerous tackles.

This is as obvious a red card as you could possibly get, but the referee and TMO did everything they could to not reach that decision. It's a dump tackle where the player lands either on his neck or the top of his back. The tackler never had much control of the lift and dump either. He let go halfway through. Utterly reckless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Ciaran

Not much has changed in New Zealand since 2005 it looks like.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Christ on a bike, that is not even remotely accidental. It is incredibly deliberately throwing him onto his head. If there was something above a red it should be that!

Games gone soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

It's not a tackle. But I agree, it should have been a red.

Wow. Really! I'm surprised.

Was Etsebet's cheap shot in the Challenge Cup final cited?

no idea.

it was a cheap shot but i can how he could argue his way out of it though.

its one aspect of the game that i hate at the moment, rucking the tackler thats on the ground in order to seal the ball off quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

I think a huge change in the degree of impact could be made by mandating that the player clearing out has to remain on their feet.

Today , they can torpedo into the ruck at high speed and clean someone out and over the ruck and end up laid flat the other side of the breakdown.

Make them have to remain on their feet and the pace of impact goes down , you have a fair contest for the ball on the ground and less injuries all round.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

On their feet and bound. The law is there, they simply have to apply it.

Absolutely agree , at present they will only penalise a player for going off their feet if they directly impede access to the ball, but if they blow away a jackaler then all is fair..

No law change required , just a stricter application of the existing one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

on the surface there seems to be a big difference in how important the 'physical' side of sport is in aus/nz. its bad in union obviously but take a look at the culture of league and see how crazy their attitude to player safety/welfare is. the main spectacle of the sport - state of origin - was built on the fact that it was an intensely physical contest originally and there was almost always at least one brawl to break out per game. calls to 'bring back the biff' are commonplace despite the fact that it harkens back to a time when most players were about half the size of todays pros

Ahhh State of Origin 😁 Watching a bunch of Aussies beat each other senseless. It was great back in the 80s and 90s. Too clean now. Too much actual footie and not enough violence these days. Bring back the biff!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

They still consider anything below the eyebrow to be a clean shot

• Advertisement

possible tonga team for the RWC 2023

1. Atu Moli

2. Paul Ngauamo

3. Sekope Kepu

4. Adam Coleman

5. Vaea Fifita

6. Lotu Inisi

7. Colby Fainga’a

8. Lopeti Timani

9. Augustine Pulu

10. James Faiva

11. Solomone Kata

12. George Moala

13. Malakai Fekitoa

14. Israel Folau

15. Charles Piutau

Reserves:

16. Sam Moli

17. Siate Tokolahi

18. Ben Tameifuna

19. Sitaleki Timani

20. Sam Lousi

21. Sonatane Takulua

22. Kurt Morath

23. Telusa Veainu

thats not to mention Leva Fifita, Will Havili (Davids brother), Tima Faianga'anuka (Leicester's brother), Sam Finau, Tevita Li, Steve Mafi and Hosea Saumaki (of Leceister)

If that squad gels together they could be a very dangerous force in RWC 23. Some of them are there for the Pacific Nations cup 2022.

Bulls score an 84th minute drop goal to beat the Sharks 30-27.

They'll play the winner of Leinster Vs Glasgow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Radsie trending on social media, and it aint in a good way

Anyone watching Stormers Vs Edinburgh. The latter is doing a brilliant job in negating the damage caused by Stormers offloading game.

On 30 minutes the Stormers managed a line break from nothing and got to within 5 metres of Edinburgh's line. They offloaded and I think everyone watching expected a try. But 5 Edinburgh players.bust a gut to track back, intercept the offload and prevent the score.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭wavehopper1

Not sure where to post this, so putting it here: Beware NOW TV auto-renewals a year later!

I bought a one-month pass from Now TV a year ago and promptly cancelled it so I would just get the 30 days of viewing of BT Sports for the knock-out Heineken stages. Spotted a one month charge on my bank account a few days ago.

I made a complaint via a support link on their website, and they have refunded it - with a message saying that my membership had auto-renewed (a year later!) and they were making an exception for me to give me the refund.

The thing is - I'm fairly careful about checking auto-renewals. But who would think it would kick in a full year after not using the service? Very dodgy.

• Advertisement

I've had a few services auto renew after lengthy gaps without any seeking or granting of approval.

Most aggregious was a gym I hadn't been in since 2020, but a few digital subscriptions also.

Check your online banking regularly is the only way to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

I see Northern Ireland aren't sending a 7s team to the Commonwealth Games. Bit of a missed opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

Does there have to be? Is there a Northern Irish union for boxing?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Different sports, different rules. The IRFU are responsible for all rugby Union related teams on the island of Ireland. If they allow it then it can happen, but only if they allow it.

Not Rugby but possibly relevant , but I read an article recently that some NI based gymnasts were being told that they couldn't be involved in the Commonwealth games as they competed for "Ireland" in other competitions.

Not sure it even came to that for Rugby , but the same arguments would apply to any capped rugby players too.

That ruling seems to have come from the gymnastics international federation. I couldn't really see World Rugby sticking their noses in in a similar fashion.

RIP Phil Bennett

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭jacothelad

A major change to the regulations on concussion management will be announced next week, with World Rugby ready to extend the compulsory stand-down period for affected players to 12 days with effect from 1 July.

At present a top-level player who fails a head injury assessment (HIA) is permitted to take the field again as early as the following weekend if they follow a graduated sequence of return-to-play protocols. The new policy will extend that stand-down period by five days.

That will bring World Rugby into line with bodies such as the Rugby Football League and the AFL, who earlier this year increased their return-to-play periods to 11 days and 12 days respectively. Player welfare groups have campaigned for a change in rugby union for some time, with several high-profile former players having revealed they are now suffering from the effects of early onset dementia.

• Advertisement

Seems to all be a shot in the dark more than a scientific based decision. Has to be a good thing though. Seems crazy being able to play the weekend after getting knocked out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,412 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

I suspect without any real knowledge that mostly players are okay to play but it’s probably often pushed a bit much so this will just force it a bit.

As much as I rate Wayne Barnes as a referee, he utterly bottled a red card decision in the Premiership final. Saracens 9 was given yellow for a head shot.

Why wasn't that a red?

The force came from the tigers player running fast is what Barnes said.

Nonsense stuff. Red card.

Ben Kay talking bollox about Davies not able to readjust from an overthrown lineout

Saracens aren't as physically imposing as they were in their pomp. Leicester have dominated tight carries when they've needed to.

Problem for Barnes here. By rights, the Leicester player should get a red, but the referee set a precedent for himself in the first half by not sending off the Saracens 9 for the same thing.

Freddie Burns with a last minute DG to win the game!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 20,685 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Saracens losing like that is a wonderful thing. Absolutely nothing likeable about them

Advertisement