Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello All, This is just a friendly reminder to read the Forum Charter where you wish to post before posting in it. :)

The Top 10 of Everything

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭ Electric Nitwit

Very solid list QB - what keeps Spielberg off it? I presume you've enjoyed a good few of his, are there others that drag him down?

My first thought of a top ten was Radiohead albums, as they've had ten (if you include the live album, I Might Be Wrong) but trying to rank them would give me a nervous breakdown 🥴

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭ Also Starring LeVar Burton

Great list, excellent use of you ratings (I keep an IMDB ratings too once I watch something, but only for the last 3 or 4 years, so its incomplete, and I have a tendency to hand out 10's like I was Oprah ; you get a 10, you get a 10, everybody gets a 10 😆) and fair play for giving your thoughts on individual movies too ; a few there I need to check out/add to my watchlist.

I'm glad people are going out of their way to make lists and seemingly enjoying the concept, otherwise it would've been an entire thread of me just posting lists to myself. 😋

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,286 Mod ✭✭✭✭ quickbeam

Spielberg has an average rating of 6.0/10 over 22 films. Yeah, a few too many 5/10s bring his score down, eg: AI, CE3K, Hook, Crystal Skull, War of the Worlds.

Also surprised Hitchhock and Tarintino didn't make it, personally.

Oh, I rate on IMDB too 😊 Can never have my ratings recorded too often, in case one of them fails 😛. Eg, my books are on spreadsheet and Goodreads.

• Advertisement

Top 10 Superman Songs

There are actually hundreds of songs about Superman (or that reference Superman in some way), and I did a deep dive into them last year purely for my own amusement, found a few unknown gems as well as a handful of more well known hits that would make up my Top 10...

After that essay I wrote on Saved By The Bell last night, for this one, I'll simply let the songs do all the talking for themselves...

10. Sufjan Stevens - The Man of Metropolis Steals Our Hearts

9 - Lazlo Bane - Superman

8. Five For Fighting - Superman (It's Not Easy)

7. The Ides of March - Superman

6. Big Head Todd & The Monsters - Resignation Superman

5. Our Lady Peace - Superman's Dead

4. Daughtry - Waiting For Superman

3. 3 Doors Down - Kryptonite

2. Crash Test Dummies - Superman's Song

1. Les Variations - Superman

On another day that Top 10 could look slightly different depending on my mood, but a big fan of all of those songs, and had fun ranking a Superman themed music playlist...

I've even got a YouTube Playlist with all 10 songs for easy access...

The Ballad of Clark Kent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ nothing

Wasn't familiar with all, but some excellent tunes in there. Big fan of 3 doors down, that whole album is great.

3 Doors Down and Our Lady Peace pretty much made up the majority of the soundtrack to my first year of college. I had just discovered them both around that time and had an MP3 player that solely consisted of albums from those two bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ nothing

Hadn't listened to 3DD in ages, so fired it up on Spotify. Think I have 2 of their albums on CD somewhere, was also the partial soundtrack to a couple of college years for me

Probably showing our age difference, but I can't believe you didn't include REM!

• Advertisement

Was one of the ones that would've been on my shortlist, but doesn't quite outshine any of the Top 10 for me...

Had to leave out a lot of songs I really like just to prune it down to 10 though, it pained me to leave out Laurie Anderson who just missed out on a spot... On the right day though, if I was in a quirky kind of mood, I'd gladly have it as my #1

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 84,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Capt'n Midnight

This is a Giant Isopod.

Top 10 songs about them

• 10 - Meles Meles – Isopod Love Song
    • 9 - Plurals – What Know They Of Bathynomus?
    • 8 - Jam on Bread – Isopod in my bathroom
    • 7 - Ziggy Bolus & The Thomas Ferguson Band – Me, Myself and Isopod
    • 6 - Stealthtones – Nefarious Crustacean Confectionary Debacle
    • 5 - Time Space Repeat – Rise of the Giant Isopods
    • 4 - Werk – Giant Isopods Have Stolen My Gameboy
    • 3 - The Jaynes – Crusty The Isopod
    • 2 - Pagan Wanderer Lu – An Isopod Is Cute In The Eyes Of An Isopod
    • 1 - Pocus Whiteface – Giant Isopods Ate My Well-Known Brand of Corn Chips

Had no idea there were so many songs about Isopods, but I love it! 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ Irish Aris

Great list quickbeam, I will try to make one of my own.

Peter Weir could possibly be number 1. Dead Poets Society is my favourite film of all times and I like most of his 80s and 90s films.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭ Irish Aris

Ah, Laurie Anderson that's a fantastic song!!

I honestly thought that was a picture of a woman’s hair do. Am I crazy?

Probably am crazy. But, honestly, first glance and I thought it was something like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭ ShaneU

Well that's easy enough to explain since that song is fairly rubbish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,601 ✭✭✭✭ ShaneU

My apologies, I forgot how bad your taste in music is 😝

I wouldn't be an avid fantasy fan but I agree with your top two. The Wheel of Time books were great. I think I lost interest around 6 or 7, there was one I remember dragging badly. One day I'll go back

I haven't heard the word grimdark before but I like the sound of those 😋

Have a few to seriously consider adding to my reading list from this. I do tend to avoid getting invested in quite a few fantasy Series due to the sheer length of a lot of them, and then the actual number of books in the series as well.

In theory, I'd love to give The Wheel of Time a whirl, have been considering it for years, but when I think about how many books are in it and the length of them it's potentially such a commitment. Even if I really love them and want to read them all back to back, you're kind of looking at the best part of a year (maybe longer depending on how dense the novels are in tone) where I'd be essentially neglecting any other writers and genres.

Depends how quickly you read I guess. If you read back to back WoT would take 2/3 months. I wouldn't recommend that way though. Even the best of series will likely cause burnout if read that way. And as EN says, there is a slow-down in the middle (most people would say books 8-10) that would mean a back-to-back read is more difficult. But you can do one a month and read other things in between, which is what I did. You're not neglecting other things you want to read that way. At least read the first two books to know if it's something you'll be in to. If you like those, then finishing the series will be well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭ osh

Good list, from what I've read of them anyway. I'd probably have a few others in mine. Discworld would have to be there, as would the Black Company series by Glen Cook, and the Empire trilogy by Raymond E Feist and Janny Wurts.

Ah Discworld would well deserve a spot too. I don’t know Black Company, will need to check it out. The only Feist I read was Magician which I wasn’t keen on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭ osh

Yeah Magician was ok, read a few of the Riftwar books. The Empire trilogy is part of the same universe, bit of cross over, but I found it much better. Set in a Oriental style land, lots of scheming and political intrigue.

The Black Company series is a darker fantasy setting, following a group of mercenaries. Might not be everyone's thing but I enjoyed it

• Registered Users Posts: 76,755 ✭✭✭✭ JP Liz V1

Top 10 Boardsies

Top 10 Superheroes

Top 10 Film Actors

Top 10 Film Actresses

Top 10 Irish tv series / shows

Now to comply my lists

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,405 ✭✭✭ Declan A Walsh

Advertisement