Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

The lack of communication is the worst aspect of this whole sh1tshow.

They didn't even put a global message about the upgrade on the touch site, just desktop site. That was a sign of things to come.

And now the almost daily radio silence.. when they finally do provide an update it's frustratingly set in a tone where they are either oblivious to the situation or just flat out putting their head in the sand..

The one positive to come out of this is seeing some of the community who have the relevant skills contributing code, giving advice, etc. There are people on this site who are programmers, project managers, etc. IRL and willing to help.

Of course if doesn't even get an acknowledgement from Boards.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,156 Mod ✭✭✭✭cdeb

If the search function is to be believed (and there's been problems with it!) there were 9.8k posts in the first three days of August. Beforehand, there might have been that many posts in a day. So posts could be down about 60-65% at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

21 days since go-live and the site is still a **** show, for the love of the flying spaghetti monster most decent developers could have written a new platform from scratch in that time.

It's time to accept the migration as a failure and roll back to the backups of vbulletin and the database we can only hope were taken pre-migration, post an announcement apologising for the lack of proper testing of Vanilla, the poor communication throughout the migration and the simple lack of respect shown to the users demonstrated by the management team throughout this fiasco. Then pray the users forgive the **** up and traffic returns to normal while the team can work on finding a suitable replacement for the legacy platform.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭mossie

The lack of communication is a big issue, especially given it's 3 weeks with very little progress. I think it's fairly clear that Vanilla is not fit for purpose and could take a long time to engineer a solution that even approximates what boards was. The last communication said the move was for financial reasons so are we to believe that Vanilla was cheapest rather than best?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Does DeVore have any involvement with the site anymore?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

I don't think so. But I saw this comment from him on Twitter when asked about the migration.

Not too sure what he means by it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

@Boards.ie: Odhran @Boards.ie: Niamh

OK, I've read enough. I'm unsubscribing (sic) to this thread. Would you kindly make updates available to the whole community, rather than just replies to individual threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

to me that reads like he is disappointed with the reaction to the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Fly_away

Yes, or he could be talking about the 'group' of decision makers in Boards HQ. Difficult to say.

If he's talking about the user base, I think he's wrong to pin blame in that direction. At the end of the day, people wouldn't stop using it if they felt it was of value to me them. It's that simple. The collapse in activity isn't the result of some contagious domino effect, it's because people **individually** do not think the site is worthwhile anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

I imagine he no longer has any involvement with Boards Software Ltd., which is a very new company.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Or as he said feelings to complex to express in a tweet. He built and helped steer the place and did it extremely well for not far off two decades. He served his time and no mistake and I'd say while he's rightfully proud of the place he's also glad it's in his rear view mirror.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,923 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

So, we left the comfort of quirky old Boards because all the hacks and fixes needed to keep it going were untenable, so they chose a platform that is going to require weeks upon weeks of hacks and fixes to leave us with a poorer experience.

It's different, I'll give you that.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It wasn't the hacks and fixes that were the issue it seems. the problem was the old platform was too expensive.

Different, yes. It just seems that the move wasn't tested / thought through properly before moving. We haven't had an update from @Boards.ie: Odhran since last week now and there has been no major progress since then (at least visible progress) so I don't think there's any quick fix for Vanilla's basic issues.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 148 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Odhran
    Boards.ie Employee

Hi all

We have not had a massive amount to update over the past few days as a lot of the work has been in creating PR’s - hence not posting here until we do.

As I have said from the start we are clearly not happy with how the migration has gone. We are working to resolve all issues as quickly as we can. We have upped our dev resource and are working our way through major issues as quickly as we can. We expect to see better fixes from a discoverability perspective shortly and will keep working through the list.We will continue to update you all as we go.

Some new updates:

• We have been writing a module last that will give us control navigation on both desktop and mobile and our PR submitted today. That will allow us to have control over navigation for top nav etc. We might gave an interm solution to roll out ahead of that tomorrow - but we do expect this to be approved in a couple of days.
    • Included in the above is follow functionality on forums and sub forums on both Mobile and Desktop
    • Regional forums are all showing correctly now
    • We have made some improvements to category structures which has improved site speed - please let us know if you are still experiencing speed issues
    • We are in the process of archiving all deleted forums which will again improve speed.
    • Looking at overall design for mobile (particularly homepage view) but conscious of not making any changes there until we fix the broader issues around Navigation / Discoverability
    • Pagination issue missing from the Motors forum and has been fixed now

I have said several times that we are not happy with the length of time that it is taking to get stuff live. We have resourced up the dev team again and are working on the above. However as I said before we have had to take a differnt approach and are working our way through that now. I hope to have a more robust update before the weekend. Some have asked about an email issue which effected a small number of users - Niamh has posted an update regarding that and did indeed make me aware so I am fully in the loop. I will be writing to the DPC to make them aware of this specific issue later today.

I appreciate that this has been a frustrating couple of weeks for everyone - us included. We are seeing a bit of light however so please bear with us.

I would like to thank you all again for your patience.

Odhran

• Registered Users Posts: 28,851 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Seeing as I've been banging on about the speed (or lack thereof) since the migration, I feel I should report that I've noticed a distinct improvement in the desktop site. A smaller improvement on the mobile/touch site, which is still a bit laggy.

But overall a lot better in the last day or so.

Does that mean it’ll be quicker to retrieve data when it’s being leaked too?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Could you post these updates in a separate updates thread? No discussion, just updates. It's bad enough that site-wide messages don't seem to be possible but we really shouldn't have to go through hundreds of posts every day to see if there are any updates.

The speed of the site has improved a lot since launch date.

Hasn’t at all for me. Still jumps all over the place whenever you go back a page, and more often than not lands on the wrong page.

• Advertisement

Yes, I've noticed that happens sometimes for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

And perhaps a post that acknowledges the issues raised since his last drive by post?

I really expected an acknowledgement to be posted on the email thread about the data leak, but I suppose the posters on that will just have to figure out it's been referenced here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,303 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Pull request.

From what I have managed to determine they are updates and they send these to Canada and wait for responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Mods can you please bring back the days most thanked posts?? Not sure why you would get rid of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,934 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Pull Request... seems to be part of the process of making any updates. They send all the updates to Vanilla, who look it through and then process it, or send it back for tweaks. That's how I understand it at least!

Thank you.

@Boards.ie The terminology can be a bit confusing, and it would be better to write these updates with the audience in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

So if the ice-cream company asked Boards to change or implement something it would be a "Push Request"?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 16,424 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Niamh did explain pull requests before, I think it's when they send code to Vanilla to implement changes. If there's an issue with the code Vanilla send it back to be changed. A round-the-world way of tweaking features and the appearance of the site.

Factor in the time difference and support only being offered 9-5 Mon-Fri and you end up with the current mess.

*dramatically flails arms in despair*

• Advertisement

Thanks all

Nah, it's just frustrating, as there are so many feedback threads and different messages being posted by Niamh and Odhran across these. It's hard to keep up, and whilst I'm fairly technical, I guess I got narky because I miss the old boards. :)

I wouldn't put myself in the shoes of the guys here for the world, as I've been the front-facing person for a migration that didn't go amazingly before, but communication is key. Just let us know what's going on in clear terms, and I'm pretty sure that we are a forgiving bunch, and all just want the same end result.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement