Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,717 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So stuff is happening... that's something at least.

Still no timeline or priority order though - and having a Dark Mode as a extra at some undetermined point in the future given the lots of posts calling this one out (which you acknowledge!) and the fact that the current setup actually causes headaches for some is a massive oversight! It shouldn't be necessary to install 3rd party plugins to make the site comfortable to use.

No explanation as to how we've gotten to this point either or why the site relaunched in this state - as someone said above, it's all very one-sided, and we the users are just supposed to live with it until ye get around to addressing the bigger issues - which with a single dev and a shedload of fixes to get through won't be anytime soon I'm guessing.

Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Anyone know how to delete drafts ..got a bin icon once dead center top but cant find it again?

Where does the 'just you' on private messages come from rather than the posters name you sent them too? Where the names lost in the move or have people closed their accounts?

And how do you delete old private messages so as not to be overwhelmed with a long scrolling list?

thanks

well the above post and edit times shows the short grace period is gone re posting that we had on the previous site.

What’s the ‘Unanswered’ link at the bottom about?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,116 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Clicking on the three dots on the top of the page when viewing a thread opens as option called Dismiss.

What does this do?

• Advertisement

thinking they are what this new site calls ops or intial posts in a thread that are as of yet unreplied/unanswered?

It seems, to me, to be a list of threads that have no replies to the OP.

I'm only seeing it on mobile though, not on desktop.

Although, I think my desktop version is the Touch site, and I have no way of exiting it?

Since the new site is supposed to be Responsive Design on mobile, does the concept of the Touch site still exist?

Are notifications only for when someone quotes your post, but not if someone Likes/Thanks them?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Clicking on Discussions, and clicking on the Boards.ie logo, seem to present different lists of threads.

What is the difference?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I've been moaning here and on other threads about the new and disimproved state of the place and will continue.

But I think we need a bit of a reality check too. I don't know if demanding answers is going to achieve much. We're not shareholders in a company here: it's a message board on the Internet, that 99% of us don't pay a penny to use, boards doesn't really have anything in the way of obligations towards any of us. The whole enterprise is obviously a tiny concern, run on a shoestring with a tiny staff. We're not paying customers, in the main, or shareholders. We aren't really entitled to much, if one was to be brutally honest.

I hate what has happened to the site, I really do and I'll moan about it again no doubt, but I think letting fly and demanding attention of the employees is a bit much - we have no idea of what is actually going on behind the scenes and it isn't actually our business, I think there's a sense of unwarranted entitlement in some of the feedback. At least there is some attempt being made to fix issues and there are updates from time to time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

On the topic of paying a penny, I and a great many others subscribed to boards at various stages. You got an avatar and more message space, stuff like that. I probably paid a fiver a month for a few years on and off before deciding it wasn't really worth it any more.

I was happy to contribute a small amount though, because boards has been a steadfast resource and social outlet for me since I was 15. A nice constant.

And now it's been rendered unusable by the whim of some suits with absolutely no consultation as to what users wanted.

Disappointed doesn't even come close. That's not entitlement.

think clicking on boards.ie is the most recent ones that have been posted chronologicaly site wide not just ones you have bookmarked or posted too?

nope on your profile page you can edit a long list of the type of notifications you want.

Getting them when you click on your avator/user icon then on the bell symbol or via email or both. They also seem to come up on the bottom of page then dissappear quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Maz2016

So disappointed with this. I literally clicked onto boards numerous times a day. Now it’s completely unusable. Very amateurish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I visited the “other site” again this evening only to find at least three users impersonating mods from here. That didn’t last long!

Good luck finding a link with info on subscriptions

unbookmarking/yellow staring a thread you previously wanted too?

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

One is clearly an imposter and not trying to hide it, but maybe the others are mods who registered there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Would they really register with the same name though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

hmm, just think this is not the thread for discussion whats going on "across the street"

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭hometruths

Don't see why not. What would the problem be? They're not going to get fired from their volunteer role at boards because they registered an account at a different site!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,688 ✭✭✭archfi

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,365 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hey, I'm sad and disappointed too and like yourself I've been a subscriber down through the years as well - for a lot of the same reasons too, boards was a constant through the years and I didn't mind throwing them a few pennies to help keep the lights on in some way.

I'd be concerned that the changes could just slowly kill the site off. Traffic is clearly well down since it's returned, though I think it was the week offline that did a lot of the damage there.

I realise that what I'm saying is partially contradictory. On one hand it's a fiasco and I'm pissed off and I get why everybody else is too. But then on the other hand we have to cool the jets.

I guess I find a tone in some of the feedback here and particularly on twitter of personalised critiques aimed at the employees of the site a bit much. They're just employees, small cogs in a medium sized wheel that boards - a tiny operation - is a part of. And we're voluntary users of the free service that tiny concern provides. And you get what you pay for at the end of the day and currently both of us pay nothing, same as the vast, vast majority on the site, for that reason I'm not losing it if Odhrann or Niamh or whoever doesn't just appear at my beck and call. What are we actually entitled to at the end of the day?

It's disappointing, I wish the whole thing had never happened, but it also shines a light on some hard facts too - boards isn't top of the priority list for whoever calls the shots and what recourse we have as users doesn't amount to much. It's sad, but it's true.

The level of disenchantment and frustration that's clearly been felt by loads of us has probably been factored in. And maybe it doesn't matter from a business perspective - the new platform will probably require less time, effort and money and there'll always be enough traffic, even if its less, in some form of another to make it worthwhile. And that's pretty much the bottom line. It makes me sad, it sucks, but what else can you expect?

Post edited by Arghus on

I think you missed the point entirely. On one hand you say on the 'whim of suits with no consultation' and on the other 'you're a user for so many years'. Needing consolation is entitlement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,281 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I've been doing some little css and js hacks - if anyone wants to use them there is a Chrome addon, I'm sure other browsers have similar

The JS is

$(".postbit-header time").each(function(index) {

$(this).text($(this).attr("title"));

});

// Courtesy of [Deleted User]

$('#Form_Comment').submit(function(){

if (!$('.Bookmark').eq(0).hasClass('Bookmarked')) {

$('.Bookmark').eq(0).click();

}

});

And the css is

a.ReactButton-Like {

font-weight:bold

}

.Section-Discussion .Content .pageBox .pageBox .pageBox::after{height:0 !important}

.Section-Discussion .Content .pageBox .pageBox .pageBox::before{height:0 !important}

#PagerAfter a,#PagerAfter span ,.MessageList .ItemComment .Item-BodyWrap, .MessageList .ItemDiscussion .Item-BodyWrap{border:0}

#Item_0 h1 {

font-size: 20px !important;

padding-bottom: 10px;

}

.ReactButton.PopupWindow,.Panel.Panel-main {

display: none !important;

}

.postbit-message {

padding-top: 5px !important;

}

.Content.MainContent {

width: 100% !important;

}

.Section-Discussion .Content .pageBox .pageBox::before{height:0em}

.js-embed.embedResponsive > div

{margin:0 !important;}

.postbit-postbody{background:#fafafa !important}

.pageHeadingBox h2 {font-size:20px !important;}

.richEditor-textWrap.ql-container{

flex-direction: inherit !important;

}

.embedExternal-content{

border:1px solid #a6a6a6;

box-shadow: 5px 10px #888888;

margin-bottom: 20px !important;

border-radius: 10px !important;

}

.Message.userContent {font-size:14px !important}

.postbit-postdetails {

border-right:1px solid #a6a6a6;

border-left:1px solid #a6a6a6;

}

.js-embed.embedResponsive [class*="userLabel-compact"] {

border-bottom: 1px solid !important;

}

.userContent.userContent > p:not(:first-child), .UserContent.UserContent > p:not(:first-child){margin:0 !important}

.userContent.userContent.userContent.userContent > :not(:last-child):not(.embedResponsive), .UserContent.UserContent.UserContent.UserContent > :not(:last-child):not(.embedResponsive){margin:0 !important}

If anyone has suggestions I'll add to it

Post edited by fritzelly on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,298 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I hope there won't be a thanks notification or MT_Cranium will be bombarded with notifications on a daily basis.

I would like a setting to turn those off/on.

What’s the gear wheel icon beside the star on some threads for? When you press it it just says ‘dismiss’ as the only option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I completely agree with your sentiments. But being someone who has worked in SW development from before the time Windows had a native TCP/IP stack, I just consider this migration to be beyond amateurish for a business that has been around for donkeys years.

There's always issues in site updates but the golden rule is not to push out something that is completely worse, when you have options to not to

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement