Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,615 ✭✭✭maninasia

I have been to the structures since I was a kid lol. There's nothing much to them , need some sprucing up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Why? They were all stripped & painted in the early spring and are power washed frequently. There may not be much to you, but most people appreciate them. They’re very very cool structures.

Most people probably think the same as me i.e. nothing particularly special. As a bathing facility it's super basic.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GerUpOttaTa

Dublin is grand. I actually prefer the vibe around the north inner city than Grafton Street etc... more gritty and unforced. Overall it's a great city and we are lucky to have it.

No, you're wrong, most people "probably" don't think the same as you and you obviously haven't seen them in years. You're clearly posting about stuff you haven't a clue about.

I'm off to the Dollymount beach now, then I'm off to the city centre for a lunch meeting. Hope I survive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

I brought some foreign friends to Dublin a couple of weekends ago. We ended up doing a little walking tour.

We went into the city center walked up to Guinness. On the way we got offered coke a couple of times. Passed queues of walking dead outside what i assume was a methodone center.

Went to Guinessess which was great. Came out and they decided they wanted to walk down some old Dublin streets, so we zig zagged back towards the castle.

Along the way there was a couple shooting up at the tree outside the cornmarket building.

The castle was lovely.

We went then to get the bus on abbey street. More walking dead asking us for bus fare.

Despite the zombies littering the place and the women tired from holding their bags tight, we had a nice day out.

I used to live in the city center. There was a time it was getting noticeably better, but every time i go there nowadays its worse than the last time.

No I'm right was there a few months ago.

Bit of a dump to be honest.

Come on Maninasia, it's obvious you haven't been there in a long time (if ever). You completely missed their architectural merit, the aesthetics are beyond you seemingly, you're saying they're run down when it's well known the recent (and powerful) dry-robe wearing sea swimmer lobby groups have them spotless, repainted & DCC are now power hosing them frequently.

And, you've got form it's not the first time you've been caught out running down certain parts of Ireland when it's been clear you haven't been there.

Dublin has its problems, it has its eyesores, it has an underbelly. But you're barking up the wrong tree here if you think the Dollymount bathing shelters are part of the problem making it "unlivable".

I've been there a few months ago stop with the butthurt, casting aspersions on me and lies saying I haven't been there...NOW.

I lived in parts of the world that have way better public facilities, what you want me to do, lie?

Look around Dublin they barely even have public toilets ffs.

Again, chill the **** out.

And don't call me a liar again.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Mod warning:-

Maninasia - do not post in this thread again.

You have been warned.

Post edited by JupiterKid on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,745 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I'm home now after a while in London, not that long to be fair. Anyway I go into the city centre regularly and have a nice time in there. I really think people just go in with some negative attitude and only see awful things and hated the place to begin with.

I usually take the Dorsch to Pearse and walk up to Grafton St area or if I cycle in I come in via Talbot St O Connell St etc. Place is always packed with people going about their business. Seeing a few down and outs doesn't really affect my experience and they're only really on the northside. There but for the grace of god go I, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Look, Dublin is OK - well South of the river is better than the Northside for sure. However, my gripe is that Dublin City Council don't appear to care, or maybe certain legislation precludes them in some ways from improving things. I can't understand their inaction at all.

I rarely "go into town" nowadays as there is nothing there for me anymore. The streets are uninviting, cracked heaving pavements, traffic up your nose everywhere, it is just not a pleasant place to wander around much. Such a pity really. I noticed that when in the city you have to keep walking, there are few opportunities to sit outdoors to have a coffee, or sit on a bench particularly when say waiting to meet someone off a bus or train. Nope stand around with the walking dead is the only option.

I look at the dreaded O'Connell Street. the pavement is nearly wider than the street, yet there are NO outdoor eating/drinking facilities. None, that would completely change the character of that street with awnings, umbrellas etc. See how it transforms other cities (even cold wet ones) and wonder why not here?

Cork is amazing by comparison, so many opportunities to sit and people watch, pedestrianisation, it all encourages people to enjoy their city, but Dublin... nah. The grounds of Trinity and St. Stephen's Green are just two places I can think of where it is pleasant to sit outside. OK there is Capel Street. Fine, but it is off the beaten track a bit, and is surrounded by run down battered buildings. Whatever happened to the transformation of the old Fruit Market? Nothing. There is a gaping hole at the Ormond Hotel that has been there for years. Directly opposite DCC headquarters. Still empty and derelict, what happens? Nothing.

Just a few gripes I have. I don't know what DCC is doing, but looking after the city and making it a pleasant place to spend a few hours doesn't appear to be one of them. And although I love my city, I don't like it very much now.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,520 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Dublin City is fine if you know where your going,

I'm not in there nearly as much as i used to be, Once a month I'd head in for a food & a few drinks with the wife & its grand always a nice atmosphere especially on a summer evening ,

I'm from the north side but when i venture in "to town" its always to the southside ,Some great pubs & place to eat,

I think Dublin City is in the best shape its been in a very long time, The night club scene is dyeing a death so seems to be less assaults in the City ,

The fact Twitter news updates so quickly means you need a new headline every 7 minutes to keep attention so now you hear about every single thing that happens in the City so it seems crazy but its never been as good in my opinion ,

Great buzz around town these days. Most of it anyway. Been out a bit in the last few months.

The entire north quays and beyond need a radical overhaul though. A lot of demolition and rebuilding needed. That part of town is a complete kip. Need to bring in new businesses like they've done on Capel St and Stonybatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭z80CPU
    Darth Randomer

Wanted to get to heuston station from Dublin City centre so I went to the bus stop at the ballast house for the 145.

zombies incessantly hovering around the stop like a swarm of flies. 2 separate goons wanted to see if they could hustle me.

Scummy for me what would a foreigner think.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

The reason there is no outdoor anything in Dublin is because of the junkies and scrotes. That's it - they either become anti social behaviour magnets and/or det destroyed in short order.

And the reason for this is the absolute refusal to deal with the junkies (which in the grand size of the city, there really isn't that many - low thousands at the very most) and an inability to deal with young offenders and anti social behaviour.

So you have to ask yourself, where and who are the roadblocks to change?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Yes I know, and I agree with you completely. Let's take a look at Cork in our own country for example, plenty of outdoor dining/drinking, along Oliver Plunket Street (and there are even benches omg!) and down by the quays. It really is great. Now Cork has a few scrotes of its own, but it seems to work there and I don't know if there is a bigger/better police presence or not.

I know one thing, and forgive me but the amount of unkempt social housing right in Dublin city centre, together with so many drug treatment centres is surely a factor. I heard that the supervised injection centre on Merchant's Quay recently (and quietly) got planning permission. That was despite the objection of local residents, the school behind it and various others. It is of course down the road from Wood Quay, but not in the line of sight, and is slap bang in the centre of tourism around Christ Church and the Four Courts. You could not make this up.

So I kind of give up now. Someone or some entity doesn't seem to like Dubs. I reckon that every City Manager should live right in the City Centre for at least a year to see how things are instead of heading out of the bunker every night to a leafy suburb. Same goes for planning decisions, should be made only by those born and bred in Dublin. Sorry for being isolationist or whatever you want to call it, but really, far too many decisions that impact on the lives of ALL Dubliners are made by those with no connection to the place.

I would hope that an elected Mayor might improve things. However I am not hopeful that will happen anytime soon either. Too many vested interests don't want it.

As a matter of interest, given the shenanigans in RTE at the moment, I wonder if the accounts of Dublin City Council are published anywhere? I am sure they are but I am afraid to look at them! If they are not on the DCC website (I'll have a look later), well that says a lot to me, but I won't accuse just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's definitely a mind set. I'm true blue and I love Dublin City. North/South, East or west I love the bones of my city.

There's plenty that could be better but that's life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

What business does any person have going to Talbot street or around there? If you chose to live in Dublin or visit then stay away from these areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Heard Mannix Flynn saying DCC are a useless shower where no one wants to take responsibility or do anything.

Says you have to beg them to do the basics.

Just another useless dysfunctional department like many in this country.

The whole concept of no one can really get sacked in the public service unless you murder someone on the job has the country ruined.

No one cares and no one has any pride in their work.

Have a look at Google maps. Talbot St in the yellow part which means, busy, shops, pubs, city centre etc.

True I guess. They don't tell you about the gangs of feral scum mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

The area is full of guesthouses, hostels, and a few hotels. Are you new in Dublin or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭TheAnalyst_

Why would you choose to stay in any of them? Its central to nothing but **** for streets around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭newmember2

It's near Busaras and Connolly train station, and as a tourist why wouldn't I want to stay in the centre of the city not far from the main thoroughfare of O'Connell St?

Tourists would not assume an entire area of a city centre is a no go kip.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

That could easily be a map of Dublin city centres no go zones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

The problem is partly Dublin is booming ,too much traffic , streets are mostly crowded, every city has beggars and drug users and some homeless people .we need more gardai on the streets on patrol .dcc has plans to build 1000s of new rental units for public housing .go to any pub or cafe near temple bar they are all busy doing great business. Tourists mostly go to certain places temple bar the guiness storehouse Stephens green area

They can't be expected to know the good areas versus streets that are not so safe .Dublin has changed alot in 10 years

We have 1000s of non nationals living and working here. They keep hotels and restaurants staffed

Every city has down-market areas or areas where the homeless or drug users meet up in the 80s Dublin was full of derelict empty buildings that were knocked down and replaced with modern offices and hotels gen z does not remember this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

And yet I've only got grief twice in 40 years in dcc. And I've lived in so called "dodgy areas".

Feck sake. Cop yourselves on. Dublin is grand.

Tourists don't wander around summerhill or sheriff street. Their home place ain't a bed of roses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

Here we are again, the problem was just not Talbot, nightmare is everywhere

Advertisement