Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

DUBLIN IS TOTALLY UNLIVABLE **Mod Warning In Post #671**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Belparkgarden

🤔 guess this campaign might be getting harder to flog.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Ashida

They don't have a clue of what the town is about

• Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

There are issues, no doubt about it, but you're safe on the North side of the Liffey. Hundreds of thousands of people live there quite safely. Facebook, boards.ie, Dublin live and other opinion based forums aren't the best places to get your news.

North Dublin quite safe to live? Is this the joke of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,951 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

North Dublin is a huge area, most of it is safe to live. The vast majority of Dublin is very safe to live, im 40 and ive lived in Crumlin, Tallaght, Drumcondra and in Dublin 2 and ive never been a victim of serious crime. You just need to use common sense if you out late at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The primary concern here is with the city center not areas off it. Here is the latest from DCC. https://www.dublincity.ie/news/lord-mayor-chair-high-level-street-issues-group

The Lord Mayor of Dublin, Councillor Alison Gilliland, is to chair the Dublin City High Level Street Issues Group. This group comprises senior leaders from Dublin City Council including the Director of the City Recovery Taskforce, An Garda Siochana, Dublin Regional Homeless Executive, Health Services Executive and the Ana Liffey Drug Project.

The group was originally established following the 2011 publication of the Better City for All Strategy to promote a more co-ordinated approach to issues related to public nuisances on the streets of the city.

Speaking of her role the Lord Mayor said, “I’ve had various meetings regarding the public’s experiences on our city-centre streets and this is a response to their concerns. I don’t believe in reinventing the wheel but rather using structures, such as this high level group, that are already in place and building on work already done. It will be my responsibility to lead this group and promote strong ongoing co-ordination between our statutory agencies who have responsibility for keeping our city-centre accessible, welcoming and safe.

Through this high level group we will strive for a co-ordinated public health approach to those engaging in on-street substance misuse and a holistic case-management approach to those who find themselves homeless and living on our streets. We will also seek to engender a sense of collective societal responsibility for a safe, clean, accessible, and attractive public realm in the capital city of Ireland.”

The same old guff. Code for we are going to do absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

For my experience, things are getting already worse any single day

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Belparkgarden

Problems all across the North Side with anti social behaviour.

Given WFH I actually started looking to go out from Dublin and settle in a better place here in Ireland. However, now politicians intervened and my company suddenly introduced this mandatory 1/2 days per week in the office -without any need- just not to let people leave Dublin's properties. That's unacceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

In this area, Smithfield is definitely getting worse

If you are comfortable with public speaking, you should call some radio program like Joe Duffy on the and recount your fear as an immigrant and how the situation is getting worse. Nobody cares about what is posted here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

You're reading too many sensationalist reports and constantly exagerating. There are approximately 1.5 million people living in Dublin according to the CSO and the majority of them live quite happily without encountering any of the terrible things you say are happening daily in every part of the city. You are seriously unlucky if you experience these activities with the regularity you say.

In the past week an elderly neighbour of ours slipped on a footpath in Henry Street and hit her head. She was taken by ambulance to hospital and received stiches in her head and a cast on her arm. Since her accident she has had nothing but praise and good things to say about the help, assistance and kindness she received from passers-by and especially from a group of the so-called 'feral teenagers' some people get great joy in discussing on this thread.

Anyone who finds Dublin so horrendous should maybe think about moving to somewhere that would provide them with the lifestyle they want. Living in an environment that causes such misery can't be good for mental health or stress levels.

All the anti-dublin nonsense is really getting a bit tired at this stage.

Post edited by mrslancaster on

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

Yeah reminds me of old news reports when some residents living in Moyross and Southill would defend their estates to the end despite the reality. 'Lovely place, lovely people' and all that to a backdrop of burned out cars and feral kids. I guess if you live there you have few options.

As I said, there are issues, I spend a good bit of time in the North inner city, I'm from there. Have you been assaulted on the Northside of the city?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I just ran the gauntlet from Fairview to Raheny, on foot! And I didn't even see any kind of skullduggery or was assaulted.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Pfft , I went for a stroll up Talbot Street , across Amiens St and along the quays ,saw nothing , nothing , not a thing , no thing.

The east west divide is true, but in general one or two places aside, the suburbs are safe. The problem is increasingly the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭MyLove4Satan

Soft Boys and Culchies with Mammy Issues = "Dublin is a kip!"

Everyone else = "not so bad."

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Well, if you call them "culchies" then they are more likely to call Dublin a "kip". Also, did you read the whole thread, because many of the people complaining about the anti-social issues are from Dublin and abroad.

I don't think Dublin is a kip or "unlivable", far from it, and that sort of language just makes people defensive rather than receptive to hearing about genuine anti-social issues in some parts of the city.

• Advertisement

The op is from a different country. I bet the centre of Dublin is hellish for some immigrants, particularly those who look different. Here’s a piece from the IrishIndianChronicle

There’s a large number of people dismissing this, I’ve never had a problem in Dublin but I rarely visit the centre. And I’m Irish. I doubt people are making this up

Only this last year I have been assaulted TWICE. One time in January and one time in June. Both the times I understood they were irish, and both the times the gardai could not help me with the culprits/to find the culprits . I started developing PTSD (please don't make fun/sarcasm about my situation)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,354 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I don't think anyone is making fun of you.

I was born and raised in Dublin City centre and still work right in the city centre as does my wife and most of my family , it's particularly annoying when there's constant monologues from same people about how bad Dublin is .

Dublin has it problems , just like any city of its size , it has an abundance of of good points .

Where are you from ?

Why don’t you accept that people who came here are having problems?

Your experience may not be the same as hers. Or you’ve learned to tolerate behaviours that others find upsetting or dangerous.

Why did you quote him saying "Dublin has it problems" and ask why people can't accept there are problems?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,697 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

There's this cohort who just want anyone living here to throw their hands up and say ok ok it's the worst most dangerous place in Europe if not the world.

It has its problems, it has the same Irish problems elsewhere in the country (poor planning, car reliance, terrible public transport, addiction issues, crime) but they are magnified in Dublin as it's the most populous place. I actually think much of the anti Dublin stuff you get is a form of self loathing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,346 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

I find it funny how people go on about Dublin being intolerant of foreigners. You have racists in this country mostly stemming from ignorance. You will find these people all around Ireland. The country folk are not immune and often worse as they have no exposure outside their own parish. Was in a bar in some backwater with my two American friends. Some locals decided to tell us all the issues with the USA which was incredibly insulting. Let them ramble on and eventually told them I was from Dublin and that nobody asked for their opinions.

Friend moved from London moved to Meath and the locals gave him a hard time and his kids too. He just had an English accent but they treated his family like outsiders. Rather live in Dublin where it is occasionally racist rather than all the time.

I've witnessed two racists incidents in Dublin. One was in the Jervis car with a car valet worker being abused and called the N word by a Cork GAA supporter after being asked not to park in a no parking area. The second was a group of Mayo supporters racially abusing a Chinese restaurant owner after she asked them to clean their Supermac rubbish from her window ledge.

I think the worst one was that Kerry fella that abused and punched a black taxi driver in Dublin.

You see we have everyone from everywhere here in Dublin. The city needs to retain it's taxes and invest in itself. Less sending money out to build motorways and more retaining money to improve the capital.

jaysus. Seriously. I have no problems with Dublin myself but guess what, I’m Irish and white and live in the suburbs. I’m in there in the daytime mostly

The op was hardly biased before she came here. She’s pointing out real problems that she faces. Another poster was attacked twice this year. Something is up.

• Advertisement

you are turning this into a culchie vs Dublin thing, which it isn’t. Not for the most part.

Advertisement